Can anyone recommend a good GPS unit?

Gary A, on 02 Oct 2015 - 19:59, said:Gary A, on 02 Oct 2015 - 19:59, said:

I know nothing about the in dash GPS units in vehicles, EXCEPT the one in my new Isuzu. I would advise anyone buying a new Isuzu to save their money. The map stinks, I think it is the IGO map and Tom Tom is mentioned. They have so much crap in that unit that the entire thing is confusing. I can get it to work but what a hassle. I also cannot get my iPod to work. It has a selection for iPod video but that doesn't work either. Nothing user friendly about it. I will have my trusty, friendly Garmin on the dash the next trip I go on. The dealer better be able to get my iPod to work or I'll throw a fit.

There should be a separate English Manual in the Black Bag. I have the older Kenwood unit and think it's really good but it did take a bit of understanding. Hopefully your problem is just set-up. I don't know where you are, but In Bangkok you can have a 'teach-in', but need to book it through Tri-Petch. Maybe your dealer can help ... don't give up ... Yetsad.png

We have just done a nearly 1000Km 'jaunt' using both the in car Kenwood and Maps ... I prefer the Kenwood Unit but find the extra flexibility of Maps very useful.

The Kenwood Unit GPS works just like Garmin ... guess that the ones in the newer D-Max don't work like Garmin ... a backward step then.

Unfortunately there is nothing in the black bag in English. There are two DVD's with one devoted to the media center. Of course they are in Thai but I got enough information to at least get the iPod working. That was quite important to me. I like to listen to Audible books on a trip. Playing with the GPS, I am able to put in POI's and choose routing options. I'm still disappointed with the lack of detail on the map. That means that some of the smaller roads don't show so it can't route on them. It will get you where you want to go so it is not totally worthless. One thing I do like is that it can use user profiles. That means the my wife can only screw up her profile and my English profile and settings are safe.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic