Can anyone recommend a good GPS unit?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the best value is the Garmin Nuvi 55 at 3,990 baht. Or if you can find one of it's predecessors, the Nuvi 40 or Nuvi 42(?) discounted to 2,000-2,900 baht. They don't have big screens, though.

If I recall, the current Nuvi 55 box claims lifetime map upgrades, though I only got one year of free updates on my Nuvi 40. I still love my cheapo Nuvi 40- but I'll buy a Nuvi 55 before I'll pay for a map update. It's got a slightly bigger screen, too.

I haven't found a reasonably priced dedicated big screen GPS in Thailand where I even recognize the brand name. I see quite a few in the IT markets, but don't know if I'd trust them.

Edit: Last note. If you buy a Garmin, make sure the seller sets it up in English before you leave the shop.

Edited by impulse

not any cheap chinese had a papago x9 but soon malfunctioned even within warranty period they want money for repair finally went for garmin nuvi great linked to my phone and google map coordinates spot on every time

had one in the uk many years ago but no sd card to download thai map very old model about 12 years ago

GARMIN QUEST I THINK still functioning but only uk maps so proof of product longevity (and me)

by the way if anyone facies a uk map only freebe give us a pm (ISSAN)

Edited by gerry123

not any cheap chinese had a papago x9 but soon malfunctioned even within warranty period they want money for repair finally went for garmin nuvi great linked to my phone and google map coordinates spot on every time

had one in the uk many years ago but no sd card to download thai map very old model about 12 years ago

GARMIN QUEST I THINK still functioning but only uk maps so proof of product longevity (and me)

Well on my garmin the rubber dissolved complete, exposing the electronic to moisture. So I am not impressed with longevity....

Well on my garmin the rubber dissolved complete, exposing the electronic to moisture. So I am not impressed with longevity....

was it purchased in thailand?? or sea if so it does specify not to keep in direct sunlight ie take off screen mount when not in use also causes possible loss of data if advise not taken

why would you try to use a GPS in Thailand ,,,If you try to enter a Soi name from any village or back street of a City it will NOT work,,it comes up like unnamed road near such and such a village or a street from the other side of the country,,,or it just doesn't compute,,,,,,,,Had my GPS in car updated last week,,,,,now it comes up with more errors and unnamed streets than before,,,best thing for GPS in Thailand ,,,Keep it turned OFF.

why would you try to use a GPS in Thailand ,,,If you try to enter a Soi name from any village or back street of a City it will NOT work,,it comes up like unnamed road near such and such a village or a street from the other side of the country,,,or it just doesn't compute,,,,,,,,Had my GPS in car updated last week,,,,,now it comes up with more errors and unnamed streets than before,,,best thing for GPS in Thailand ,,,Keep it turned OFF.

I won't leave my neighborhood without my Garmin turned on. It's right on about 95% of the time, and gets me there (albeit a crappy route) 99% of the time.

I don't read Thai, and don't get around enough to know all the one way streets, the flyovers, the U-turn bridges, etc. The day I bought my pickup (first time I drove in Thailand), it took me 3 hours to get home from 5 miles away. I couldn't get going in the right direction to save my life. To this day, I have no clue where I went. The next time I took it out- the Garmin got me out and back with a minimum of fuss and bother. Hasn't let me down since, either- though it tends to take me on busy city streets rather than my preferred expressways which are more miles and more $$$ but much less time.

Even if I'm on a route I know well, there's always a chance I'll get detoured because of an accident, construction, VIP caravan, etc.

I had 750 Garmin that was recalled for a battery defect. It took a while to get it back so I bought an 855 Nuvi. The 750 came back as good as new so I had a GPS for the car and truck. These are old models so that speaks well for the quality. Not long ago I bought the Nuvi 55 with a larger screen and free lifetime maps. I'm quite happy with the cheap 3990 baht Nuvi 55. I sold my old truck and gave the old 750 to the buyer. He is impressed with that GPS. Both the old 750 and 855 were compatible with Audible books. The new ones are not. Garmin has gone backwards as far as I am concerned. Now I have a new truck on order that has a built in GPS. I don't know how that is going to work out but I don't have great hopes for it. The Audible books problem has been taken care of in both the car and new truck. I'm not an Apple fan but both vehicles are able to use my iPod for the books.

IMO. anyone who uses their phone for a GPS has never used a dedicated GPS unit. I would advise anyone to buy a Thai Garmin. It will have features that foreign units don't have. Also don't confuse Garmin Thailand maps with native Thailand ESRI maps. The Garmin map stinks. I wasted a hundred dollars for the Garmin map. I used it one time and was lost twice before getting disgusted and throwing it away.

I have "Here maps" on my Samsung S5 and although the map is very good, I wouldn't consider using it on a long trip. I definitely don't like Google maps. The "Here" map will work without a data connection if you download the free Thailand map.

Rubbish ! Traveled over 35,000k in LOS with a Garmin. Never been lost or misdirected. If not sure of exact address coordinates always spot on.

Never had a problem with Garmin. I find the maps remarkably accurate. However trying to enter the destination can be difficult so if you are able look it up on a google map beforehand and enter the coordinates into the Garmin. This is much easier than entering the address. On the other hand if it is a prominent place like a hotel it will probably appear on the Garmin map and you can select it as your destination

What stores would be carrying the Garmin GPS?

Thanks....

Look to the same major markets that sell smartphones.

About 1/4 of them also seem to sell GPS's and half of those stock Garmin's. So the best bet in BKK is a place like Fortune Town or Pantip, where there are scads of independent phone sellers. I'd guess Fortune Town itself has a dozen shops that sell Garmin's.

If you are in BKK, I suggest GPS4U in Fortune Town (Pra Ram 9 MRT Station) which is a dedicated Garmin GPS store. Pricing is similar across all outlets.

I bought my last Garmin from Eagle GPS. I like to have things delivered to my front door. If you need any help or support, the farang boss, Morris will bend over backwards for you. Same price as from a store but you won't get the support from a store.

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1

I like to use google map on smartphone better than using GPS device.

I don't like the google maps, but smartphone with Garmin maps is great (but difficult to install on Android)

yes, the map is not good, but I really like to use the "satellite view", where it displays a satellite picture instead of a map.

So I really don't see the need for a specific GPS unit either, I'd rather use the smartphone. Just buy a phone holder and a car charger cord and you are all set!

Any GPS is only as good as the maps it provides. I have iGO with different maps on my Android devices, and have use Google Maps, but only Garmin will show the private dirt track road, leading to my mother in law's plantation here in the middle of <deleted> NOWHERE! I was just stunned when I saw that... From then on, it's only Garmin for me.

I had 750 Garmin that was recalled for a battery defect. It took a while to get it back so I bought an 855 Nuvi. The 750 came back as good as new so I had a GPS for the car and truck. These are old models so that speaks well for the quality. Not long ago I bought the Nuvi 55 with a larger screen and free lifetime maps. I'm quite happy with the cheap 3990 baht Nuvi 55. I sold my old truck and gave the old 750 to the buyer. He is impressed with that GPS. Both the old 750 and 855 were compatible with Audible books. The new ones are not. Garmin has gone backwards as far as I am concerned. Now I have a new truck on order that has a built in GPS. I don't know how that is going to work out but I don't have great hopes for it. The Audible books problem has been taken care of in both the car and new truck. I'm not an Apple fan but both vehicles are able to use my iPod for the books.

IMO. anyone who uses their phone for a GPS has never used a dedicated GPS unit. I would advise anyone to buy a Thai Garmin. It will have features that foreign units don't have. Also don't confuse Garmin Thailand maps with native Thailand ESRI maps. The Garmin map stinks. I wasted a hundred dollars for the Garmin map. I used it one time and was lost twice before getting disgusted and throwing it away.

I have "Here maps" on my Samsung S5 and although the map is very good, I wouldn't consider using it on a long trip. I definitely don't like Google maps. The "Here" map will work without a data connection if you download the free Thailand map.

I have a bad experience with the built in GPS on a Trailblazer. It was extremely annoying to use and the GPS sometimes satellite connection for 20 minutes.

The built in GPS of a brand new toyota fortuner rental was even worse. The touch screen had a 2 second lag that made it impossible to use. The map was hard to read and it took hours to enter a destination. It was so crappy we never used it during a two weeks road trip.

Instead we used google maps on an iPhone extensively, it was flawless. Type the name of the restaurant/shop/temple/hotel you want to go to, click on it, go, and voila, itinerary done in 2 second. Voice navigation was working very well too. I have never tried a Garmin but I doubt it's as easy to use as an iPhone.

How nice to read a post that's factual and not Googled. My Spivos sat nav wasn't set /commissioned on delivery, that was 7 years ago now ,dumped it after 6 months,when it was it was as pistachios described it, Crap !!.The Blazer has a mind of its own,and the I Phones perfect and runs as the Civic except the voice is more detailed.

My experience is not quite the same. I really like the unit in my v-cross ...it's very much like Garmin.

Yesterday we drove back from Kanchanaburi and had that running and 'Maps' on my Note 4. Maps was inaccurate ...frequently 40-50 metres out at junctions and instructions not anywhere near as clear as the in car unit.

It looks like when I eventually get my EV it will be back to a stand alone Garmin .....