Disappearance of traffic light countdown displays

Trujillo

Chiang Mai has at least two retired Senior Engineers, one US the other from New Zealand.

Both have World class projects to their name.

Both have told me on separate occasions that Roundabouts are more efficient at moving traffic then Traffic Lights.

john

There are roundabouts all over the place in NZ. I hate them as usually far too small. Prefer lights. In the UK they have roundabouts but have traffic lights on all the entrances as well, which works well.

When the number of cars exceeds the capacity of the roundabout they are worse than lights.

Yes if too small for the capacity or flow of traffic then they don't work as well as they should. However when they get to the size of those I've seen on movies set in France with about 6 lanes....now that's just stupid.

Lights don't really work that we'll here either. Drivers are too slow off the mark and very few are timed to allow a flow from one set and through to the next and thereafter.

Red light runners in Chiang Mai don't help either.

Unsure what the best balance is for CM, so at the moment I just have to go with the flow (Or lack thereof )

Funny how traffic flows so much better at 1001 & 11 intersection, now that traffic lights have gone & we have a roundabout in operation while they build the underpass. Just leave it that way & save a heap of money thumbsup.gif

I agree. Taking the lights down has shorten my daily commute by several minutes.