Drivers license no longer ok for ID?

The same happened to me, two days ago.

The license of the bar was checked and after that they asked the guests if they carry their passport with them. Nobody did.

I asked them if a Thai driving license would be sufficient? No.

A copy of my passport? Yes, please come.

Some pictures of the officer and me, proudly holding the copy together in front of us were taken, they clapped me on the back and went off.

A driving licence doesn't show one's immigration status, which, in the current hysteria over the bombing suspects, might account for the tightening up.

However a identificationThai Driving License does show your passpsort number.

Actually it does.. The ID number in the Thai DL is derived from your passport number at the time of application.. Mine is 099xxxxxxxxx where the xxx is my passport number.

Been that way on 3 different 5 year licenses.

A Thai drivers license does indeed show your passport number. It does not, however, show your immigration status, as brewsterbudgen correctly states above. The head of the immigration department, some months ago, stated that a photocopy of your passport face page plus a copy of your current extension would be acceptable.

Any sane minded official would realize that carrying such a valuable document on one's person, at all times, in a tropical climate is asking for trouble. In my passport it states that the passport is the property of the issuing government and must be safeguarded at all times. Thus, I do not carry mine except when traveling around Thailand.

• Like 1

A driving licence doesn't show one's immigration status, which, in the current hysteria over the bombing suspects, might account for the tightening up.

However a Thai Driving License does show your passport number.

It still works for most things, I think, but the number on my Thai driver's license no longer matches my passport number.

The official fine in Thailand for not carrying your passport on you is 200 THB and not 500 THB. So you got screwed.

A drivers license has never been an official ID in Thailand !!!

I was taken to Huai Kwang Police station earlier this year for not having my passport or a copy of my passport on me. I only had my Thai driver licenses. Had to wait for hours till my wife with my passport showed up. I got fined 200 THB. They even had to call some D.A. for the height of the fine.

Having a copy of your passport with you is only tolerated in Bangkok !!! Thai law requires to have a valid ID on you at all times.

A drivers license is legal proof of identity about as much as a passport proves you have a DL and legally drive a car

Although a Thai DL is/was accepted it is still not legal proof of identity as regards ones legal status in Thailand only a PP does that, so given recent events in BKK the BIB are not being unreasonable asking for peoples PP's

Except a drivers license does confirm the holders passport number which is printed on it.

Not always though.... the fact is the pp number on its own proves nothing to a local plod on the street if they are trying to verify identity and legal status in Thailand, yes of course they could check on a computer, but you fancy sitting in copshop while they do ?

I am not an advocate of making people carry PP's but given recent events in Thailand you can understand why they are asking at least

to be honest Thailand should copy Singapore's system and issue a work pass "ID" card for those legally working here to carry, annual updates done on the card etc

Sounds like what i suggested, something given by immigration small card valid for a certain period, I would pay for it for sure. I would hate carrying my passport around. Wonder if the card elite visa holders get would suffice for the police.

whistling.gif I have lived and worked where the law specified foreigners has to carry their passport or a government supplied residence card.

Otherwise you went to Jail.

From that experience, although I was never arrested , I feel naked unless I carry my passport around with me in Thailand.

You'd be surprised how quickly it becomes second nature to have your passport sitting there in your shirt pocket.

A DL can act as ID but it's not a passport. If the police want to see your passport to check your status they have every right to ask for it. But they should be allowed to fine someone for not carrying it.

Why should you get a fine for not carrying a document that could be necessary for your livelyhood? Why not a copy and if necessary have 48 hours to produce the real passport just like we do in the UK with a driving license?

A DL can act as ID but it's not a passport. If the police want to see your passport to check your status they have every right to ask for it. But they should be allowed to fine someone for not carrying it.

Why should you get a fine for not carrying a document that could be necessary for your livelyhood? Why not a copy and if necessary have 48 hours to produce the real passport just like we do in the UK with a driving license?

I meant to write "they ¨shouldn't". I didn't realise the typo until too late to edit.

I completely agree with you.

whistling.gif I have lived and worked where the law specified foreigners has to carry their passport or a government supplied residence card.

From that experience, although I was never arrested , I feel naked unless I carry my passport around with me in Thailand.

You'd be surprised how quickly it becomes second nature to have your passport sitting there in your shirt pocket.

'You'd be surprised how quickly it becomes second nature to have your passport sitting there in your shirt pocket."

Each to his own, make your own choice and whatever you are comfortable with. As for myself, as I stated before, I have never been asked for my passport and value it too highly to allow it to remain in a sweaty shirt pocket.

A laminated copy resides in my wallet and will continue to do so, while my passport remains at home in a secure place. Feelings of nakedness have never crossed my mind regarding carrying documents.smile.png .

I meant to write "they ¨shouldn't". I didn't realise the typo until too late to edit.

As you say they have the right to check your passport no arguement but it would be easy to lose if you carry it around with you. Am I right in thinking a senior policeman stated you dont need to carry your passport but have a copy with you?

(Incidentially there is an edit button just left of the Quote button. It is easy to miss if you dont know)

Edited by gandalf12

From the Thai receipt, it's clearly vague as they are 'fitting you up'

"Foreigner not having significant book with him"

If they had specified ID or Passport,

for ID Thai driving licence is perfectly acceptable.

for passport, they would have had to give you the opportunity top present it.

As they have specified neither, you can't contest it later.

A lawyer or you being able to read Thai,

"Please be more exact in your description of the document you require?"

............ would have soon sorted them out.

• Like 1

This is just a local police deal. Driving license lets us geit on a domestic flight without having to show a passport so its a legal document. No need to carry your passp

unless the police on mass decide to stop us all every

time we go out of our doors. You guys were just unlucky. Annoying and cost 500baht but no need to worry I think.

Yes they let you on a domestic flight, and i know guys who have been let on domestic flight with their offshore BOSIET cards...anything with a photo and your name on it and looking "official" will get you on a domestic flight and guess what i suspect over the next few months, they will be wanting to see your PP on domestic flights ;)

A Thai DL is not legal proof of identity and legal status is Thailand its only legal function is to show you have a valid Thai DL

You right about the DL. Not a good idea for them to accept it on flights..

Now you've got me worried. Flying to Bangkok tomoz. ;-)

i just flyed with air asia with only a dr licence

• Like 1

All this crap makes you wonder if it's worth the stay. There are far more receptive countries close.

Seriously?... 2 people caught on tens of millions tourists every year. rolleyes.gif

I have always been said that if I don't take my passport with me

I must at least have a copy of its main pages. It's what I do; no problem.

How difficult is it for an expat to make a copy of his passport & last stamp

once a year after he get his extension?

I also take pictures of these pages with my mobile phone. Could help too wink.png

• Like 1

As you say they have the right to check your passport no arguement but it would be easy to lose if you carry it around with you. Am I right in thinking a senior policeman stated you dont need to carry your passport but have a copy with you?

(Incidentially there is an edit button just left of the Quote button. It is easy to miss if you dont know)

Yes there was an announcement. I know he said you don't have to carry your passport everywhere but I don't remember what was said beyond that.

A fine just enables continued corruption. If the purpose of showing the passport is to check legal status then fining someone alone doesn't achieve that and they should still need to produce the passport at some point.

To be fair I haven't been asked for my passport once in nearly 20 years. I've been stopped in Bangkok on the street, pulled out of taxis and off the back of motorcycle taxis and every time they were happy with the DL. I've also been stopped at dozens of road check points with the same outcome.

All the time police can cash in on pointless fines like this the corruption cycle will continue.

• Like 2

However a Thai Driving License does show your passport number.

Yes. And in an ideal world they'd be able to check the immigration status using the passport number. But Thailand isn't exactly ideal!!

The Immigration Department is part of the Royal Thai Police. Surely, the Royal Thai Police has access to all that data and could easily check online by just using the full family name(s), and verify the data with the date of birth? Or would that be too easy?

But I am also curious to know whether the police actually did check the Immigration status of those foreigners who got fined THB 500, or was that just it???

Edited by UTH001

'You'd be surprised how quickly it becomes second nature to have your passport sitting there in your shirt pocket."

Each to his own, make your own choice and whatever you are comfortable with. As for myself, as I stated before, I have never been asked for my passport and value it too highly to allow it to remain in a sweaty shirt pocket.

A laminated copy resides in my wallet and will continue to do so, while my passport remains at home in a secure place. Feelings of nakedness have never crossed my mind regarding carrying documents.smile.png .

Yes and you would be surprised how many people have put it in the washing machine with their shirt! wink.png

Typical Thailand....never enforce any laws so everyone forgets what the law actually is. Most money in fines for the BiB. If the law is that you must carry your original passport at all times, then that is the law. It's no good that a police chief comes out and says 'a copy is good enough' - when the actual law states otherwise. having said that, I never carry mine. I'd rather pay the fine than risk losing my passport or having it stolen. How many of us report to the police when we leave out registered province for more than a couple of days (think it's 48 hours, or is it 24?). Another stupid rule that most of us violate.

• Like 1

Keep it simple keep copies of passport, visa extension and last arrival doc, also drivers licence on cell phone

EASY EASY EASY then no hastle

I create a pdf file and load it on my phone and upload it to my Dropbox account plus a color copy in my wallet.

Yes there was an announcement. I know he said you don't have to carry your passport everywhere but I don't remember what was said beyond that.

A fine just enables continued corruption. If the purpose of showing the passport is to check legal status then fining someone alone doesn't achieve that and they should still need to produce the passport at some point.

To be fair I haven't been asked for my passport once in nearly 20 years. I've been stopped in Bangkok on the street, pulled out of taxis and off the back of motorcycle taxis and every time they were happy with the DL. I've also been stopped at dozens of road check points with the same outcome.

All the time police can cash in on pointless fines like this the corruption cycle will continue.

An extremely valid point made there.

If (and it is only an if) this extra vigilance has been brought about by the recent bombing incidents in Bkk, then what possible use is there in giving a fine if that is all one has to do to hide their identity? By paying a fine and going about your business? I didn't read (may have missed it) that the OP or friends had to produce their passports before paying the fine and getting the receipts? That would make it a different issue all together.

It used to be that a copy of your passport would be enough for these checks. If this was to be investigated further, then you would be given reasonable time to produce your passport.

IMO, the only information your driving licence provides from an immigration POV is in most cases the number of your passport, and that is only the passport number you had when the licence was issued. If the passport was renewed during the issue time and present, and the driving licence wasn't updated to reflect this, then it is not only worthless but is in fact giving false information to the authorities.

• Like 1

Keep it simple keep copies of passport, visa extension and last arrival doc, also drivers licence on cell phone

EASY EASY EASY then no hastle

I create a pdf file and load it on my phone and upload it to my Dropbox account plus a color copy in my wallet.

I do the same, always have a digital copy available.

The only problem with that is that with a little know-how and the right software, how easy it is to alter the details. Please don't be offended, nobody is accusing anyone of doing it, just pointing out that digital copies of anything should be treated with a certain amount of suspicion.

The fact that .pdf's can be made from image files speaks for itself, it is in fact another layer to hide any alterations done.....................wink.png

It has often been discussed and I remember one statement from a high ranking police officer saying that carrying copies would be accepted.

It is also quite certain that foreigners got trouble for not carrying copies at least.

So this case is not a first timer.

Be aware that we have a nervous situation after the bombing and the scandalous reports that Thai immigration let foreigners in without registering (for a bribe).

I always have copies with me (main page, pages with visa, extension stamp and departure card).

But can not proof whether it will always be acceptable, as I never been asked for on the spot wink.png

When doing overnight/distant trips, I always have the original passport with me.

Hotel where I stay checks carefully and writes down data from the passport.

Always searching for the extension stamp/admitted until.

I have had fun and games with hotels about this. I will show them only my name and passport number. They are not immigration and have no right to check my visa details.

I tell them to get immigration to come and check if they want, or i will find a different hotel.

Always i have stayed and no immigration has arrived.

I think you will find that you are wrong. It is law that hotels pass on information about all their non-Thai guests including their visa status. Whether they do or not is up to the hotel but there is an up to 8,000Baht fine per guest that they do not register. (see attached photo)

post-2998-0-61409400-1442136024_thumb.jp

Edited by South
  • Like 2

I think you will find that you are wrong. It is law that hotels pass on information about all their non-Thai guests including their visa status. Whether they do or not is up to the hotel but there is an up to 8,000Baht fine per guest that they do not register. (see attached photo)

attachicon.gifImmycapture.JPG

I suppose it raises the question about what is compulsory on the hotel online form.

I've booked in to dozens of hotels in Thailand and always use my DL which only has the passport number. So either hotels make stuff up when filling out the form or the information isn't needed.

so to the OP, after the fine did you then have to go and get your passport ? sorry if I missed that somewhere

If so then this was a very specific fine for not having it on your person

I agree with most people here that at the very most you need to be allowed the opportunity to produce it at the police station which for most people is easily accomplished, I never and will never carry my passport, it is too important a document to lose

Im sure they back down if you write down their names... they need money but no trubble

for no risk offer to pay 100 above that you want their names... i think they will choose 100b

Well you would be wrong they would not back down.

The receipt already has the cops name on it. The cop did his job, all foreigners are suppose to have their passports on them at all times.

You start asking the cop his name to write it down is just going to make more problems for you. This is not the west.

again a lot of B***sh*t writen here, now law exist where is written that you must have your passport with you, in the law and this is valid everywhere in the world

is written you must proof your identity. A thai DL is a legal prove of your Identity for Thais and for foreigners!

a raid in a bar what happen only if closing time is far over is not done by IMO, it is army or normal police, nobody interested in your Visa status at all.

This is a warning against the bar owner and the other bar owners and the customers, now in Chiang Mai it is about to set new prices for the bars and shops, what they have to pay to the police,

everything is closed latest at 1 am, only 1 restaurant stays open until morning, no license for alcohol but selling small beer for 120/140 Baht and large beer for 180 Baht,

this is the lucky bar.

We dont know what the OP discussed with the police what happened during the raid, may be big argue with police, if police lost face they will take you

to police station even no reason, Thai DL is a valied ID in Thailnd for police, banks, airlines, hotels, insurances aso

everybody who write something different dont know anything

attachicon.gifImmycapture.JPGattachicon.gifImmycapture.JPG

It has often been discussed and I remember one statement from a high ranking police officer saying that carrying copies would be accepted.

It is also quite certain that foreigners got trouble for not carrying copies at least.

So this case is not a first timer.

Be aware that we have a nervous situation after the bombing and the scandalous reports that Thai immigration let foreigners in without registering (for a bribe).

I always have copies with me (main page, pages with visa, extension stamp and departure card).

But can not proof whether it will always be acceptable, as I never been asked for on the spot wink.png

When doing overnight/distant trips, I always have the original passport with me.

Hotel where I stay checks carefully and writes down data from the passport.

Always searching for the extension stamp/admitted until.

I have had fun and games with hotels about this. I will show them only my name and passport number. They are not immigration and have no right to check my visa details.

I tell them to get immigration to come and check if they want, or i will find a different hotel.

Always i have stayed and no immigration has arrived.

attachicon.gifImmycapture.JPG

I stand corrected wai2.gif

But also i can say i have never given these details on the few occasions i have been asked.

Surely immigration just have to enter your passport number to know the legal status.

I would rather pay 500 THB fine,than loose my passport,

to get a new one would cost more, maybe they want to

see the passport to see your visa.

I agree with paying 500b again rather than risk damaging my passport. If a copy of my passport without a stamp from immigration is acceptable then that's easy enough done but as in my previous posts, I was under the impression that carrying a valid DL was acceptable because a top immigration official assured the public.

And btw the police weren't that interested in our visa because we were all issued the fine and two of us left without showing original PP. Only one of us had someone bring their passport to the police station.