If You Could Buy Any Pickup Right Now What Would It Be?

FruitPudding

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test drive yesterday on 3.2 Wildtrak and 2.2 Everest. Both EXCELLENT. So quiet, so responsive and of course the 3.2L donk has heaps of torque for off-road or heavy loads. Transmissions ensure smooth power delivery when driving fast and furious (in wet actually) and steering is one-finger-light for parking yet with feedback at speed.

I'm not sure if Th models have noise-cancelling built in but you can hear a pin drop whilst driving 60 kmph in traffic. Wildtrak has chilled cooler under centre armrest and loads of USB ports, cruise control etc but GPS map display in dash is via bluetooth from phone or tablet.

Be quick for the 3.2L if power needed as Ford will phase out this engine in favour of 2.2 in pickup models. 2.2 drives and feels same on-road with 3 pax.

NB: Everest Titanium beats new Fortuner hands down on styling and equipment (apart from GPS) and drives like a sports car. Pity there's no chiller box in Everest ... warm beer while driving is so uncool. sad.png

Pity there's no chiller box in Everest ... warm beer while driving is so uncool. sad.png

What a Stupid....Childish..... comment to make....burp.gif

If I would buy a new car I would never buy anything with less then 6 gear automatic.

We are talking high torque at low RPM diesel engined pickups here, not low torque benzine rides...

I guess you don´t own a pickup with 6 gears?

Huge different compared to drive a 5 gear, I know coz I had both.

My 6 gear pickup runs in 120 at 2000 rpm, the thing with diesel is that you don´t want it to run on high rpm coz you aint got any power there, so the more gears the better it is.

The new Pajero comes with an 8 gear automatic.. Diesel..

The OP is looking for a Pick Up not an SUV

If I would buy a new car I would never buy anything with less then 6 gear automatic.

We are talking high torque at low RPM diesel engined pickups here, not low torque benzine rides...

My 6 gear pickup runs in 120 at 2000 rpm, the thing with diesel is that you don´t want it to run on high rpm coz you aint got any power there, so the more gears the better it is.

The OP is looking for a Pick Up not an SUV

And??

Maybe you shall read again what I wrote.

New Vigo is about 100k more expensive than competitors for similar level of equipment. Out

With a Ford you seem to have a non negligible chance to get a non functioning vehicle. In that case you are f***ed because Ford will do anything in their power to not help you. Even if the truck is great, it's not worth the risk. Out

Isuzu and Mazda are a bit ageing. Out

Chevrolet and Tata. Out obviously.

New Navara is the best looking by far. Inside is not too shabby either. But I heard its motor is a bit noisy and thirsty.

New Triton looks quite weird, almost ugly. Its interior is among the best on the other hand. Its new motor is supposed to be great.

So I would need some good test driving to choose between the last two.

What do you know about Chevrolet made in thailand more then you heard around the stone table?

I had a Chev Colorado for 3years know and never had any problem with it and it´s a comfy drive and a lot cheaper to buy then Toyota, Izuzu etc.

If I would buy a new car now it would be the new Pajero coz all the new high tec but there is nothing wrong with Chevy made in thailand, it´s not a shabby us made..

I admit I don't know much about Chevrolet and I have a huge bias. I don't rate the brand much higher than Tata or Dacia.

Terrible korean cars (Daewoo) rebranded by a terrible american car maker (Chevrolet). Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Am sure you can double check for me.. The only difference between a 5 and 6 speed manual is the 6 has 2 overdrive gears, in both 4th gear is 1 to 1, so I don't understand why your 6 speed has a difference in feel. 6th gear is for motorway high speed driving/economy driving.

Some 6 speeds have only 6th as overdrive, some 5th and 6th. Doesn't matter much as the overall ratio is adjusted by the diff. The 6, 7 and 8 speed trans (and CVTs) allow a larger ratio spread than 3, 4 or 5 speeds. First gear ratios have got lower and top gear ratios are higher which gives better fuel economy test results. YMMV depending on the driver....

High torque, low rev diesels still benefit from more gears. Heavy trucks typically have 10 - 18 speed trans to stay close to the most economical revs within a relatively narrow power band. Pickup diesels rev more than truck engines but less the similar spec petrol engines so a couple of extra ratios or a torque converter can be useful.

Heavy trucks may have a zillion gears to deal with the load it has to carry, keep the thing in it's power/load band. If a pickup is used as a 'load' carrier on a daily basis more gears will be helpful. Unloaded, which most of us are with a pickup, I cannot see the need for a zillion gears. Max torque on the Vigo 3ltr is there at 1400rpm up.

Torque is the important thing (as you know) not horsepower, HP is just a figure, TQ x RPM divided by 5252....I fink...laugh.png

Yep that is pretty much what I said.

Some pickups work for a living too. Many years ago we had an early diesel Land Cruiser with the 6 cylinder pre-chamber engine and the (then) new 4 speed trans. That thing was hopeless pulling anything uphill, badly needed a couple more gears.

For transmissions, the spread of torque is as important as the rpm the peak occurs at.

The Vigo runs nicely from 1400 to 3000. That's OK but not exceptional.

Your Auto Torque converter would mask this but a 6 speed manual would probably be better than a 5, which would be way better than the 4 speed I mention above, especially if the truck works.

New Vigo is about 100k more expensive than competitors for similar level of equipment. Out

With a Ford you seem to have a non negligible chance to get a non functioning vehicle. In that case you are f***ed because Ford will do anything in their power to not help you. Even if the truck is great, it's not worth the risk. Out

New Navara is the best looking by far. Inside is not too shabby either. But I heard its motor is a bit noisy and thirsty.

New Triton looks quite weird, almost ugly. Its interior is among the best on the other hand. Its new motor is supposed to be great.

What do you know about Chevrolet made in thailand more then you heard around the stone table?

I had a Chev Colorado for 3years know and never had any problem with it and it´s a comfy drive and a lot cheaper to buy then Toyota, Izuzu etc.

If I would buy a new car now it would be the new Pajero coz all the new high tec but there is nothing wrong with Chevy made in thailand, it´s not a shabby us made..

I admit I don't know much about Chevrolet and I have a huge bias. I don't rate the brand much higher than Tata or Dacia.

Terrible korean cars (Daewoo) rebranded by a terrible american car maker (Chevrolet). Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Chevrolet in Thailand is Not an american made car, only the brand is american.

The cars are made here in Thailand at the same factory they make Izuzu etc in Map Ta Phut/Rayong.

So compare it with korean cars is just so wrong.

The cars are made here in Thailand at the same factory they make Izuzu etc in Map Ta Phut/Rayong.

Chevy and Isuzu to not have the same engine..

True - Chev pickups use an Italian designed VM Motori engine ;)

That all said though, the rest of the D-Max and Colorado was designed by GM in Brazil - so it's fair to call them both a Chev platform, not a Daewoo one.

The cars are assembled here, not made here, parts come from the same sources as all American made cars, whatever American made really means any more.

The cars are assembled here, not made here, parts come from the same sources as all American made cars, whatever American made really means any more.

What? Surely you are not that clueless.

My only experience with fords is when I saw a Thai made fiesta, with parts labelled from a few countries. I remember a component, think it was a water pump, labelled made in Indonesia. Are any of the ford parts actually manufactured in Thailand, or all imported and assembled here? Just askin....

My only experience with fords is when I saw a Thai made fiesta, with parts labelled from a few countries. I remember a component, think it was a water pump, labelled made in Indonesia. Are any of the ford parts actually manufactured in Thailand, or all imported and assembled here? Just askin....

That's normal - all makes with Thai assembly have parts sourced from various countries. In order to qualify as CKD for taxation reasons, at least 40% of the parts have to be Thai sourced though. In ASEAN, Thailand easily has the biggest parts supply chain, so in most cases it's likely that much more than the minimum 40% is sourced locally.

Ford would not make a water pump. A supplier would. In the case of your fiesta that supplier is from Indonesia.

Very very few companies (automotive or not) would manufacture 100% of components themselves in house.

OEM

An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, refers to a company that makes a final product for the consumer marketplace. For example, Ford and General Motors are OEM companies that manufacture cars, and Apple is a computer OEM.

Tier One

Tier one companies are direct suppliers to OEMs. The term is especially common in the automobile industry and refers to major suppliers of parts to OEMs. For example, Sensata Technologies is a tier one supplier of exhaust gas sensors to automotive OEMs.

Tier two

Tier two companies are the key suppliers to tier one suppliers, without supplying a product directly to OEM companies. However, a single company may be a tier one supplier to one company and a tier two supplier to another company, or may be a tier one supplier for one product and a tier two supplier for a different product line.

Toyota Tundra.

My son works for the Toyota truck factory in West Virginia. He has two Ford 4X4's. He says the Toyota doesn't have near enough grunt. He has 26 wooded acres and heats his house with wood. He pulls dead fall trees loose so he can cut his firewood so the one Ford gets abused a lot. Both his trucks are diesels. One for daily driving and one for the rough work. I should add that he lives out in the boonies. Rear wheel drives, both trucks and cars are not able to go up his steep driveway. The front wheel drive Honda Civic I was driving struggled a bit but could make it up his driveway.post-17093-0-30237100-1442630369_thumb.j

To you guys that don´t understand more gears gives better performance.

Spec from the new Pajero Sport.

Engine only have 181 ps but will probably perform better then Ford Everst 3.2L/200ps thanks to the gearbox, then you can compare this with Isuzu MUX that only have 5 gears and put 2+2 together..

Better performance, more silent on higway and lower fuel cunsumtion. Then add alla safety features, a lot lower price and I say I dont care about the ugly tail lights anymore. The new Pajoro is da shit.

เกียร์ 1………………..4.845
เกียร์ 2………………..2.840
เกียร์ 3………………..1.863
เกียร์ 4………………..1.436
เกียร์ 5………………..1.216
เกียร์ 6………………..1.000
เกียร์ 7………………..0.815
เกียร์ 8………………..0.672

Edited by pbonline

Engine only have 181 ps but will probably perform better then Ford Everst 3.2L/200ps thanks to the gearbox, then you can compare this with Isuzu MUX that only have 5 gears and put 2+2 together..

Better performance, more silent on higway and lower fuel cunsumtion. Then add alla safety features, a lot lower price and I say I dont care about the ugly tail lights anymore. The new Pajoro is da shit.

เกียร์ 1………………..4.845

เกียร์ 2………………..2.840

เกียร์ 3………………..1.863

เกียร์ 4………………..1.436

เกียร์ 5………………..1.216

เกียร์ 6………………..1.000

เกียร์ 7………………..0.815

เกียร์ 8………………..0.672

Do you know what those figures actually mean and do you have the comparable figures from another truck ?

เกียร์ 1………………..4.845

เกียร์ 2………………..2.840

เกียร์ 3………………..1.863

เกียร์ 4………………..1.436

เกียร์ 5………………..1.216

เกียร์ 6………………..1.000

เกียร์ 7………………..0.815

เกียร์ 8………………..0.672

You have given the transmission ratios but you don't mention the final drive ratio. That is what determines the speed and engine RPM figures.

I believe the New PJS diff ratio is 3.692:1. Yes 4th and 5th do seem close.

The Aisin 8 speed auto has a wider range of ratios than the 5 & 6 speed ATs and similar to the ZF 8AT in the VW Amorak.

With the PJS diff and tyres, high range would give 1st @ 8 km/h per 1000rpm and 8th @ 60km/h per 1000 rpm.

For comparison the high range gearing for the new 6AT Everest would give 9 - 57 km/h per 1000 rpm.

The previous gen PJS 5AT was 10 - 50 km/h per 1000 rpm. The new PJS 7th is close to the old cars 5th.

In reality, the lower first gear will not make much difference, the older generation trucks gearing never felt too high.

The extra ratios and higher top gear should help fuel economy though.

Edited by Jitar

The new Isuzu 4X4 has a 5th manual OD high gear of .791, 4th gear is 1.0 and a final drive of 3.727. 2,000 RPM is 110 KPH in OD. (Internet information) The two wheel drives may be different.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I seldom use 1st gear. the gear ratio is 4.008. The engine torque is high enough that starting in 2nd gear is quite smooth. In the days of 4 speed manuals in trucks, we called 1st gear creeper gear. It appears that it is still creeper gear.

If they add more gears to the manual, my next truck will be an automatic.

Edited by Gary A

The new Pajero is not available for test drive yet but I'm quite sure the 3-5 gear will give better performance. You don't want a diesel to run on high rpm, It´s a bit tricky do get max acceleration from a diesel car so this will help to keep the rpm at an level where you have the most power.
Not a big difference compare to cars with 6 gears but still a difference, and the high 8 will definitely save some fuel.

Looking forward to testdrive the new Pajero in Oktober when it´s available.