Plastic bag-free campaign gets warm welcome

webfact

Plastic bag-free campaign gets warm welcome

BANGKOK, 14 September 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment says the campaign for plastic bag reduction has enjoyed a warm welcome as seen in a huge drop in the number of plastic bags given out in one day.

The Department of Environmental Quality Promotion (DEQP) reports that the plastic bag-free campaign, which got underway on 15th August, has helped participating stores reduce plastic bag use by nearly two million.

In the campaign, participating stores refuse to give plastic bags to shoppers on the 15th and 30th days of each month. Customers are requested to bring cloth bags on the two days. Sixteen distributors including CP All, Big C, The Mall, Central Group and Food Land, are taking part in the project.

The government is ready to intensify its campaign if it continues to show success.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-14 footer_n.gif

It's a start! I always say to 711 staff " mai dong sai tung" (no need for a bag!) and "lok rohn" (earth is getting warmer) & they smile sheepishly. Especially if it's a pack of mints they've attempted to put in a bag for me...

Edited by bboy

In the campaign, participating stores refuse to give plastic bags to shoppers on the 15th and 30th days of each month.

Must be a different Big C or foodland than the one I shop, because I go shopping every day, primarily at those 2 shops, and I haven't experienced that they refused me a bag.

I simply do not do any shopping on the 15th and the 30th....simple.....I hate being inconvenienced especially whne I am paying for things and services with my own hard earned monies.....not monies that were gained by cheating the tax payers.

If they really want to help, let the thai authorries close down all the plastic -related companies like Indorama group etc and also all the plastic bag manufacturing companies first....then I will change my ways.

I take my hessian bag to Big C about twice a week. Some cashiers totally get what it's for when I open it and place it in the packing area. They ask me first if I want any meat I'm buying placed in separate plastic bags (which I do, actually as the packages can leak), and pack my bag with a semblance of order. Others are just oblivious and attempt to put my shopping in their plastic bags, and then the plastic bags in my hessian bag....I guess it's because they've been taught to do it that way, and can not deviate.

Education and thinking skills are wonderful things...if only.

I simply do not do any shopping on the 15th and the 30th....simple.....I hate being inconvenienced especially whne I am paying for things and services with my own hard earned monies.....not monies that were gained by cheating the tax payers.

If they really want to help, let the thai authorries close down all the plastic -related companies like Indorama group etc and also all the plastic bag manufacturing companies first....then I will change my ways.

cheesy.gif

You will fit in to the Thai mindset really well.

Also,why don't the immigration simply send back all these earth friendly, hate plastic bag farangs back to their own home countries....most are poor sods anyway who lead miserable lives and really do not contribute much to the local economy.

So trollish...I don't believe your post is sincere.

Carrefour gave nice big green shopping bags away at one time, I have 3, much easier to use + strong, then the silly plastic bags from the shops, yet take it to 7/11 and they will try to put everything into a plastic bag 1st..

Why only two days per month? Make it policy every day (yeah I know, TIT ;-) and/or charge an extra 5-10 baht per bag if they "need" it. Start by cracking down on 711s who set the worst example for conspicuous plastic bag abuse.

This was my first reaction on reading this two days per month stipulation, but on reading this posted reason why, and knowing the locals as I do, this 'easing them into it' idea is a very good one. From past experience all attempts at clamping down hard on anything here are fiercely resisted, unless you have a tank, so the 'frog in the slowly boiling water approach' should be far more effective. We shall see.

Carrefour gave nice big green shopping bags away at one time, I have 3, much easier to use + strong, then the silly plastic bags from the shops, yet take it to 7/11 and they will try to put everything into a plastic bag 1st..

I'm surprised they let you in with the other bags.

I went into Homepro one day with a tape measure to check on (and buy) a few things.

The security guard made me check it at the desk.

At my local Jiffy-plua they give a 50 baht discount from every bill we pay if we use one of their cotton bags. We try to use these more often now. I hope this extends to once a week at least, and charge 10 baht for every plastic bag. That should adjust the attitude of a few shoppers laugh.png

You tell 'em, Nick! Hell Yeah! crazy.gif

We bring back heavy duty 'bags for life' from England and the Mrs takes them to the market and asks them to put vegetables and fruit in the bags but, they just don't get it and put stuff in plastic bags first and then into the re-usable bags. No matter how many times they are told it just doesn't sink in. Stupid is as stupid does !

thais just don't get it..and they just done care...fist the bbq kabob goes into a bag then the bagged bob goes into another bag...then the double bagged bob goes into the final bag...its insane to watch this ..its too bad the thai males didn't feel the same way about their penis ....sawadee no crap

At my local Jiffy-plua they give a 50 baht discount from every bill we pay if we use one of their cotton bags. We try to use these more often now. I hope this extends to once a week at least, and charge 10 baht for every plastic bag. That should adjust the attitude of a few shoppers laugh.png

50 Baht discount on every bill?

I thinbk I have to shop more at your local Jiffy.

Also,why don't the immigration simply send back all these earth friendly, hate plastic bag farangs back to their own home countries....most are poor sods anyway who lead miserable lives and really do not contribute much to the local economy.

You described yourself perfectly. Except for the earth friendly, hate plastic bag farang part.

COME ON YOU MISERABLE SOD, WHAT'S IT GUNNA BE, EH?

PAPER OR PLASTIC?

post-134393-0-31139400-1442220376_thumb.

Why only two days per month? Make it policy every day (yeah I know, TIT ;-) and/or charge an extra 5-10 baht per bag if they "need" it. Start by cracking down on 711s who set the worst example for conspicuous plastic bag abuse.

This was my first reaction on reading this two days per month stipulation, but on reading this posted reason why, and knowing the locals as I do, this 'easing them into it' idea is a very good one. From past experience all attempts at clamping down hard on anything here are fiercely resisted, unless you have a tank, so the 'frog in the slowly boiling water approach' should be far more effective. We shall see.

yes give them a chance to show that 2 days a month are sustainable. Then add 2 more days....

If they can do it two days a month, then why not every day? Makro does not give bags to customers so they are way ahead of this game the government is playing.

Get serious!

Then work on some way to curb the use of double layering bags by street vendors.

Edited by oneday

Uh how about next they try to educate their citizens to not throw their empty plastic bags on the side of the road. Several times I've seen kids doing this while walking hand in hand with a parent and probably worse I've seen parents do the same thing in front of their very young children.

I'm surprised they let you in with the other bags.

I went into Homepro one day with a tape measure to check on (and buy) a few things.

The security guard made me check it at the desk.

First time i came in homepro i also had to give my backpack to the reception

After that i just walked in without looking at them and they never bothered me again.

But thailand needs more good drivethrough bottleshops with good parking and cheap prices...that will save a lot of plastic bags.

Also more big supermarkets with good and close parking will help a lot, then we can shop once a week with the car.

Edited by Thian