Non-immigrant OA - Confused about dates and extention....

The requirements for the change of visa status are the same as for the one-year extension of stay you plan to get except that if you need to show many in the bank for the extension this doesn't need to be seasoned for the change of visa.

The requirements for the change of visa status are the same as for the one-year extension of stay you plan to get except that if you need to show many in the bank for the extension this doesn't need to be seasoned for the change of visa.

Sorry what does seasoned mean?

One further point if I may: You say - 'You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration that would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Could I get a 6 month or 1 year non immigrant visa or is it just a 90 day visa I would be granted?

You can only get 90 days that you can then extend for one year based upon retirement during the last 30 days of it.

A further clarification please. If I apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry do I have to show funds in a Thai bank or is that for my retirement visa or both?

One further point if I may: You say - 'You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration that would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Could I get a 6 month or 1 year non immigrant visa or is it just a 90 day visa I would be granted?

You can only get 90 days that you can then extend for one year based upon retirement during the last 30 days of it.

A further clarification please. If I apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry do I have to show funds in a Thai bank or is that for my retirement visa or both?

You need the money in the bank to apply for the change of visa status but it does not need to be there for 60 days. It will need to be in the bank for 60 day when you apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa).

Will I need letters from my Thai bank? My bank Krungsri bank on Sai Tai don't seem very helpful and have poor English Language skills - or at least t hat is my impression.

You will need letters from your bank and a updated copy of your bank book. I think they will know what is needed and they should be cooperative because the letter is not free.(100 or 200 baht).

How many times i can extend this 1 year based upon retirement?

What i have to do when this 1 year is finished?

You can keep getting 1 year extensions year after year for as long as you want to.

You apply for a new one up to 30 days before the current one expires by showing the same financial proof and other supporting documents..

An extension of stay based on retirement is renewable repeatedly providing the conditions (mainly financial) can be met.

• 5 months later...

Were you trying to apply for the OA visa at the embassy in Brussels or one of the honorary consulates. The honorary consulates cannot issue them.

I thought might throw in a suggestion as to why visa agencies discourage us from obtaining a non-immigrant OA visa rather than an O visa; It's probably because the requirements are far more stringent for a one year visa - what with the criminal record check and the medical + the bank letter. I was told it would be too hard to get and it has to be said I've been waiting for my CRB equivalent since May.

I opted for the O visa because of that and because people on this forum led me to believe that you can go out and come back into Thailand on another 3 months visa (the border control would give me another 3 months). However, the last person on this site said, I would ONLY be granted the unused time on my three month visa which is rather disconcerting.

I don't know who to believe now! I am aware that the person on the desk decides, but I need to know it's possible as I've booked flights based on the 3 month re-entry possibility. I will apply for the one year visa once I'm there as forum members suggest it's easier once in situ...

FOR THE UK ONLY: my understanding is that non-immigrant O and the OA visa must be obtained from London in England. Hull and Liverpool not allowed to issue. Not sure about Glasgow. In France, you can apply for both through Paris OR Lyon OR Monaco. I'm applying through Lyon, so I know it's possible! The Marseilles Thail Consulate has been shut down.

Edited by Seraphina

Were you trying to apply for the OA visa at the embassy in Brussels or one of the honorary consulates. The honorary consulates cannot issue them.

I thought might throw in a suggestion as to why visa agencies discourage us from obtaining a non-immigrant OA visa rather than an O visa; It's probably because the requirements are far more stringent for a one year visa - what with the criminal record check and the medical + the bank letter. I was told it would be too hard to get and it has to be said I've been waiting for my CRB equivalent since May.

I opted for the O visa because of that and because people on this forum led me to believe that you can go out and come back into Thailand on another 3 months visa (the border control would give me another 3 months). However, the last person on this site said, I would ONLY be granted the unused time on my three month visa which is rather disconcerting.

I don't know who to believe now! I am aware that the person on the desk decides, but I need to know it's possible as I've booked flights based on the 3 month re-entry possibility. I will apply for the one year visa once I'm there as forum members suggest it's easier once in situ...

FOR THE UK ONLY: my understanding is that non-immigrant O and the OA visa must be obtained from London in England. Hull and Liverpool not allowed to issue. Not sure about Glasgow. In France, you can apply for both through Paris OR Lyon OR Monaco. I'm applying through Lyon, so I know it's possible! The Marseilles Thail Consulate has been shut down.

If you have a single entry non-o visa it only allows one 90 day entry. If want to travel during those 90 days you need a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day valid when you re-enter the country. Perhaps you are confusing single entry and multiple entry visas.

A honorary consulate might be authorized to accept a non-oa visa application but it would be sent to the embassy for approval.

I think part of your problem in getting the info you need is posting comments and questions in various topics. Start one topic and continue to post on it. This time you have dug up a old topic to post on. Look at the date on the post you quoted.

Hi Ubonjoe, just letting you know that I got my non-immigrant O visa through Lyon in France for 37 euros (agency) + visa fee. The agency I used does both O and OA visas. It was just far cheaper than flying, driving or catching a train and then paying for a hotel.

• 2 years later...

Can I still go to Penang and get my Thai Wife "O" visa (1 year, multiple entries) without putting 400K in a bank account; if I leave the country every 3 months?

I have done many times in the past because this visa still suits me as I often work out of Thailand for short periods and it is easy for me to stroll over to  Cambodia for 1 hour if I am staying longer than 3 months (only problem is the Cambodia 3 month visa's take up so much room in your passport).

Last time I did this in 2017 the guy at the counter in Penang was quite rude to my wife and said "must have 400k". but later apologised and issued the required visa.

Since then I have been in and out of the country a lot, so not needed a new Thai wife visa until now.

I forgot to add that on some past occasions I have alternated the Thai Wife "O" visa's with "Non Im B's" when I have been working here and needed a work permit.

Edited by MiKT

14 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Can I still go to Penang and get my Thai Wife "O" visa (1 year, multiple entries) without putting 400K in a bank account; if I leave the country every 3 months?

Penang wants to see 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of a income of at least 40k baht.

Only the consulate in Savannakhet Laos or the one in Ho Chi Minh City will issue one without financial proof.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Penang wants to see 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of a income of at least 40k baht.

Only the consulate in Savannakhet Laos or the one in Ho Chi Minh City will issue one without financial proof.

Thank's for the swift reply.

I have been issued several Thai Wife "O", 1 year multiple entry visa's from Penang in the past, so really my question should have been: Have the visa arrangements in Penang changed in the last year?

Funny thing is, the only time I went to Laos to request a visa, it could not be done without the 400K. But that was a few years ago. Also the same at the HCM consulate.

They make up their own rules

You could do it in easily in Hull before, but now I think they will do it, but you have to wait whilst they send your passport to London.

15 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Have the visa arrangements in Penang changed in the last year?

More than a year ago. At least two years if I recall correctly.

Savannahet has not asked for income since the started doing them over 7 years ago.

Thanks again ubonjoe,

Swmbo has just corrected me and confirmed we had no problem getting the visa in HCM 4 years ago.

Also that the visa trip to Laos (about 8/9 years ago) was to Vientiane not Savannakhet and was complete chaos as they did not seem to have any idea of what we wanted. Ended up with a 3 week visa! I think that was the first time I requested one of this type of visa and was not clear myself.

I think we will go back to HCM next week, its a better trip anyway. Usually we drive to Penang and holiday in Phuket and somewhere around the thin bit on the way back, but not much fun at this time, with the high winds about.

J

42 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Thanks again ubonjoe,

Swmbo has just corrected me and confirmed we had no problem getting the visa in HCM 4 years ago.

Also that the visa trip to Laos (about 8/9 years ago) was to Vientiane not Savannakhet and was complete chaos as they did not seem to have any idea of what we wanted. Ended up with a 3 week visa! I think that was the first time I requested one of this type of visa and was not clear myself.

I think we will go back to HCM next week, its a better trip anyway. Usually we drive to Penang and holiday in Phuket and somewhere around the thin bit on the way back, but not much fun at this time, with the high winds about.

Just been instructed that we are going to drive to Savannakhet on Sunday!

I will update this post after we return.