Phuket residents plea for help against forced eviction

webfact

Phuket residents plea for help against forced eviction
The Phuket News

1442317523_1-org.jpg
Mr Noppadol, and the letter of complaint, called for officials to investigate the authenticity of a Chanote land title deed being used to claim the land. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- More than 200 residents from Baan Koktanod in Chalong filed a joint petition yesterday (Sept 14) calling for Phuket authorities to investigate a land title being used to force hundreds of residents to leave their homes.

Phuket Vice Governor Suthee Thongyam and Prapan Khanphrasang, chief of the Damrongdhama Centre (ombudsman’s ) at Phuket Provincial Hall, received the letter of complaint in person from the protest leader Noppadol Jeirchan.

Mr Noppadol explained that officials from the Legal Execution Department and representatives from a bank posted signs on Friday (Sept 11) ordering local residents to vacate the ares – or face legal action.

“Koktanod residents have been living in the area for more than 20 years,” Mr Noppadol said. “This area was originally a tin mine and we have no idea who the real owner is.

“They [officials] are asking residents to vacate land, which causing distress to local residents.”

Mr Noppadol, and the letter of complaint, called for officials to investigate the authenticity of Chanote land title deed being used to claim the land.

“We want officials to examine the land document, Chanote number 3545 in Chalong, which the developer claims entitles them to the land,” Nr Noppadol said.

V/Gov Suthee assured that the issue would be investigated.

“We will examine all documents regarding the land to seek justice for both parties,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-residents-plea-for-help-against-forced-eviction-54123.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-16

So the residents don't know who the real owner is. They don't own it, so the eviction notice has been served by the owner so they can now recover their rightfull property. In Australia we call them squatters. They are living there without authority & haven't purchased the land so move.

So the residents don't know who the real owner is. They don't own it, so the eviction notice has been served by the owner so they can now recover their rightfull property. In Australia we call them squatters. They are living there without authority & haven't purchased the land so move.

I believe in Thailand after occupying a piece of land for a certain amount of time people get rights to that land. This might be the case here.

I believe in Thailand after occupying a piece of land for a certain amount of time people get rights to that land. This might be the case here.

That's in Thailand, this is in The Democratic People's Republic of Phuket, it's a different country. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

"In Australia we call them squatters." - I thought they were called Aborigines. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Correct. In case of a Chanote property, if you peacefully occupy the land and make continuous use of it for a period of at least 10 years without the rightful owner complaining, you can claim ownership of that land.

But they have to prove that, and it might be quite hard to prove that the owner never complained to them. Especially in an ongoing legal dispute.

There is a common law..I think it is called "The Law of Adverse Possession ". If a person occupies a property and pays the Rates etc. which apply to the property for a period of (I think) eight years...that person can claim the property as their own. I know it applies in Australia and a lot of other countries...not sure about Thailand ??