Elton John's special relationship with Russia

webfact

Elton John's Special Relationship With Russia
SPENCER KORNHABER

The singer has said he may meet with Vladimir Putin to talk LGBT rights

NEW YORK: -- Among the more pressing international disputes of the week is the question of whether Vladimir Putin rang up Elton John. John’s Instagram post on the matter is pretty unambiguous—“Thank-you to President Vladimir Putin for reaching out and speaking via telephone with me today,” he wrote Monday.

“I look to forward to meeting with you face-to-face to discuss LGBT equality in Russia.” But a representative for the Kremlin later said that the call never happened.

The alleged communication would have followed a conversation between John and the Ukranian leader Petro Poroshenko about the subject of gay rights, after which the singer told the BBC he wished he could have a similar chat with Putin about Russia’s laws targeting “gay propaganda.”

If Putin did indeed reach out to Elton John, rather than to any of the many other Western celebrities who have decried Russia’s treatment of gays in the past few years, it wouldn’t be the strangest thing in the world. John has a long relationship with the country—historical roots, many fans, musical compatibility.

Full story: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/09/elton-johns-special-relationship-with-russia/405526/

-- The Atlantic 2015-09-16

Putin's position is well known. Russians position is also known. Vast majority of them are hostile to the cause of Elton John.

I doubt Putin has time for or interest in meeting with a giant like Elton John is.

But the fact of existing relationship is touching... biggrin.png