Unreliable Honda service centres!

ChomDo

Hi,

I just took my 1 year old Honda City (7000km driven) to a Honda Centre for the 1 year check up. I was already worried after reading bad things about Honda's service on Pantip. Well, anyway I took the car there Monday morning and reported a few minor issues that I wanted fixed under guarantee. I mean the car is brand new with 7000km in the meter and there is a rattle under the console, rattling sound from the drivers seat belt and the drivers door doesn't close normally. They called me the next day that they are still working on the rattling sound and had to order a few new for the console. So in the end I had to keep the car there for 2 days and when I went to pick it up the problems started:

Everything seemed OK before I started the car and the petrol light was on (range 0km on the screen). When I took the car there I had 4 bars of petrol and I took a picture on the dash to see the km that I had driven so far. So now the gas tank was totally empty and they had driven my car 25km in the service center?? We asked the guys from Honda to come and explain what's going on. I told then there's no way you had to drive 25km to fix the clicking sound and how outrageous is it to give the car back to the customer with a empty gas tank. Then they pulled out a paper that stated that they had driven the car 18km around the little garage to search for the problem. I could't even believe the 18km, but anyway 7km was still unexplained. And for the empty tank the only thing they could do is to tell me to drive to the closest gas station, wow!

Well as I drove off I got more pissed off to see that the seat belt was not fixed and now there was a new rattling sound in the opposite end of the console that they had fixed.

They also said that the seat belt is not under guarantee so they just "tried" to tighten in..I'm sure they did nothing to it. Also the drivers door that doesn't close normally...they just say they tried something but nothing helped. Unbelievable stuff from a Honda Center.

Any ideas if this is normal in Bangkok and would it be advisable to avoid the brand's own service centres all together? I ended up with nothing fixed, empty tank and a mystery what was done to my car during that 25km ride. I guess some of you might have had similar experiences with Honda?

Thanks!

Dashboard rattles are notoriously hard to fix; and common sense tells us that the only way to pinpoint the source, is to drive the car. A Honda City should be getting around 10-15km per litre; so that's what, about 50 Baht in petrol ? If it were me, I'd cut them some slack on the driving part.

I've driven 3 models of Honda for years here and had nothing but excellent service from Honda thanon Sri Ayutthaya. It's a warranty repair, so maybe you should try a different branch.

Yea sure I agree, but I doubt it that they needed to drive 25km and empty the tank? Also is it normal to give the car back to the customer with a totally empty tank (fuel light on and range 0km). I mean this is my first time at the Honda check up so that's why I'm asking if others have these experiences. So next time I go, if I ever do, should I have a full gas tank that the guys can drive as much as they wish.

Anyway what upset me the most is that none of the problems were really fixed. And is this really true that the seat belt of a new car is not under any warranty? Also the door that doesn't close smoothly, they claimed that they can do no more to fix it. Really?

Actually I have been to quite a few Honda Centres and felt that this branch (Udom Suk) seemed like a good option as the others seemed very bad. The customer service representatives are friendly but as far as the car is concerned I wouldn't go back. Well next check up is in a year so I'll try another centre. Now I still have to sort out the rattling seatbelt that they didn't want to fix (or to be precise they said they fixed it but they didn't).

Yea sure I agree, but I doubt it that they needed to drive 25km and empty the tank? Also is it normal to give the car back to the customer with a totally empty tank (fuel light on and range 0km). I mean this is my first time at the Honda check up so that's why I'm asking if others have these experiences. So next time I go, if I ever do, should I have a full gas tank that the guys can drive as much as they wish.

Anyway what upset me the most is that none of the problems were really fixed. And is this really true that the seat belt of a new car is not under any warranty? Also the door that doesn't close smoothly, they claimed that they can do no more to fix it. Really?

Actually I have been to quite a few Honda Centres and felt that this branch (Udom Suk) seemed like a good option as the others seemed very bad. The customer service representatives are friendly but as far as the car is concerned I wouldn't go back. Well next check up is in a year so I'll try another centre. Now I still have to sort out the rattling seatbelt that they didn't want to fix (or to be precise they said they fixed it but they didn't).

"They also said that the seat belt is not under guarantee so they just "tried" to tighten in."

To fix rattles in a car it is necessary to locate the source of the noise. The only way that this can normally be done is to drive the car around to pinpoint the location of the rattle, it cannot be done with the car stationary in the service centre. Presumably the source of the rattle was not easy to locate (they very rarely are) otherwise you would have been able to tell them where it was. How many miles had you driven with the rattle evident and your being unable to locate it, less than 18/25 km?

Would you expect Honda to be able to do this without using your 50 bahts-worth of fuel? As far as the tank being empty is concerned just imagine the situation they may have been in if they refuelled your car and then put that on the bill, I doubt that you would have been happy with that extra item. Their suggestion that you solve the empty tank issue by visiting a petrol station to top up seems pretty sensible, how else would anyone be able to sort it out?

Recon the O.P. would have a prob whatever he Buys. Just like our Son.!!.. Why do all the probs start on the 1Year visit.?. Hast it been in for Book Service over the 7000 Km .Doest even fill the dam car before he goes in, and then whines over a fanny full of benzine, Yeh ,just like our Son.cheesy.gif

I've used 3 Honda dealers for servicing (depending where in Thailand I am).

I've found them all to be excellent; great service, nothing too much trouble, very friendly etc etc

My only criticism is the "hard sell" when you drop your car off ...... under car painting ....... AC testing ............

Ok thanks for all the great advice..so I assume it is all normal then. Yea I really don't care about the 50b, that wasn't the point was it. Of course the main thing is really that I left there with all the same problems that they said have been fixed during those 2 days and 25 km. The old rattle that they tried to fix so hard was back the same day and there is a new rattle on the other side of the front panel.

For Briggsy they sure told me that the rattle was covered by guarantee and did not charge for it. And as transam said..would be a bit weird if it weren't! And if you would love to hear about the door: it needs to be slammed to close, unlike other doors that close normally. This also according to Honda Udom Suk not under guarantee..a door not under guarantee, I don't understand that. Also the seat belt not being under guarantee, is this possible, that's a safety issue too.

Ford are even worse! They replaced my slightly sluggish (when retracting) seatbelt under warranty, no hassle. Terrible Ford people!

Ok pretty terrible that you got a new seatbelt from Ford. Anyway I suppose Honda should replace the seatbelt under warranty!

The kind of new car service you get depends on the individual dealer. Just like people, some are good and some are bad. I would never blame the brand for a bad dealer. I see complaints from some posters about bad Ford dealers. If you hate Ford, how would you possibly know about dealer service. You wouldn't touch a Ford with a barge pole so obviously you have no first hand experience. I get my Ford Focus serviced at Loei Ford and I am quite impressed with that dealer. YMMV.

Ford are even worse! They replaced my slightly sluggish (when retracting) seatbelt under warranty, no hassle. Terrible Ford people!

Ok pretty terrible that you got a new seatbelt from Ford. Anyway I suppose Honda should replace the seatbelt under warranty!

Why should it be replaced? Because there is a small rattle from that area? Using that logic why don't you ask for the car to be replaced under warranty as it also has a rattle?

And if you consider a rattle from the seat belt to be such a huge safety issue why don't you pay for a replacement yourself, a small cost for peace of mind?

Why should it be replaced? Because there is a small rattle from that area? Using that logic why don't you ask for the car to be replaced under warranty as it also has a rattle?

And if you consider a rattle from the seat belt to be such a huge safety issue why don't you pay for a replacement yourself, a small cost for peace of mind?

Learn to read or don't bother replying

Hang on, you said Honda City, not Ford Fiesta right?

Oh my, Ace isn't gonna like this tongue.png

What's next, crappy QC and service from Toyota? Is the sky falling? biggrin.png

OMG , i am 1000 per cent , pissd off , with Nissan /Nat autocar ,Udon thani .

My two year old car , has been with them for 6 days , for starting problems,

and,,, they have high tech computer diagnostics, which they don't know how to use .

I was going to scrap the Nissan crap , and buy a new Honda Jazz. ?

Edited by elliss

and,,, they have high tech computer diagnostics, which they don't know how to use .

Don't buy a Beemer in Udon then. Nat own that franchise too.

I once had a 3 month old Chev spend 9 months in the service bay for starting problems. 6 days is nothing :D

Learn to read or don't bother replying

Up yours, I wasn't replying to your nonsensical comment. I can read perfectly well, perhaps you can't?

Edited by Sviss Geez

Heres what I did, write a letter and post it to HONDA JAPAN, I had a very nice letter back apologising and asking if the head of Honda Thailand could come and see me to sort it out.

I once had a 3 month old Chev spend 9 months in the service bay for starting problems. 6 days is nothing biggrin.png

You actually bought a Chevy.......?.................w00t.gif

Yep, it was my first and last.. ;)