Retiring in Mexico versus Thailand

derble

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What security issues? Just stay away from the mafias and in a tourist location, you're fine.

So why was there a report about Americans being told to avoid Cancun for Spring Break in February earlier this year? Or is Cancun not a tourist location.......smile.png

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Spring-Break-revelers-warned-avoid-Mexico-dr...

26 Feb 2015 - Spring Break revelers warned to avoid Mexico as drug cartel violence continues ...

Link is blocked from Thailand unless you use a vpn

My first retirement choice was Mexico. This was in the late 80's. I would stay a few months in one town or city and then move on to see more. Always rented a house furnished. Drove an old car. I loved it. Even learned the language very well. Much easier than Thai thats for sure. Permit to stay in country was six months at a time with no reporting. I loved the mountains, the food and mostly the people. Only reason I left was that i had seen all I wanted to in Mexico. So moved to Asia. Big mistake. My heart is still in Mexico.

I spent 10 years living in Lake Chapala and would take Thailand anytime over Mexico. Cheaper living although the peso is sinking a bit. To many noisy street dogs, dogs on flat roofs sleep all day bark all night so called noisy security. Catholic church has so many "rocket" holidays that if your a WW11 vet you would feel right at home. They are a loud music culture. The church controls the population through politics. On certain days rockets from 5 in the morning till 11 pm at night every few minutes. More poverty, to much machismo. Lake Chapala is slowly disappearing being sucked dry by Guadalajara. American Legion there a great watering hole. You must do a 2 hour drive each way for decent shopping in Guad. Guad is a noisy dirty overpopulated place with lots of poverty. Beautiful girls are more plentiful here and have better attitudes. Immigration is a bit better there you can become a FM3. Less official reporting. My info is about 10 years old so some things have changed. The local visa agent runs a flower shop there and she has an arm lock on most of the foreigner visa stuff and she can also get you government medical insurance but it is really a run down system. Think her name is Margo. Dr. Ricardo a great guy. Mentality about the same. They say they know when they don't. Never ask for directions in Guad. You can PM me for more information.

The financial requirements for Mexico version of a retirement visa are much higher than Thailand. Most Americans on Social Security would NOT qualify. That said, I love Puerto Vallarta and I still think it's safe enough.

I did visit Lake Chapala and found it very boring.

Edited by Jingthing

Mexico...I lived and worked there for one year (in 1971/1972). Mexicans were content with what they had created for themselves. Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Michuacan, Patzcuaro, Mexico DF, Cuernavaca, Taxco, Oaxaca, Acapulco, Chiapas...all great palces with very individualistic/incredible food....(followed by Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia).

Today, Mexico is a greedy, corrupt, highly over-priced and inflated/low-value toilet...where 'gringo's' are looked upon as 'opportunities'.

Stay in Asia my friend!

I think Mexico is not safe. There are dozens of drug cartels there and didn't 30 or so young people go missing recently ..........

I think I prefer Thailand as a safer place ..... but Mexican food is my no.1 choice !!! damn I love beef nachos, tacos, chimichangas, crab tostada's and fajita's .......... licklips.gif

Colombia is getting trendy, especially Medellin. They have a retirement visa at a reasonable level. http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2013/04/01/why-medellin-colombia-is-a-great-retirement-spot

I've never been to Colombia but I can say the Colombians I've met in the U.S. are remarkably friendly and often quite sophisticated.

It still has the high crime rep but reports are it's not that bad in Medellin.

Edited by Jingthing

I have a good friend who left Pattaya after several years and moved to Mexico for a change of scenery. less than a year later he was back in Pattaya. I asked him what happened and he said it was "scary as hell" and way more corrupt than Thailand. Very happy to be back in LOS.

"Could you add Colombia in there as well. Not just Mexico."

Having lived and traveled to more than 40 countries...I highly recommend Chile. Especially southern Chile...absolutely beautiful...!

Imagine British Columbia to Cabo San Lucas (with California, Oregon, Washington in the mix)...and you have Chile...with less than 18,000,000 people. Chilaens are some of the most business astute in South America. Great low-cost wines...lot's of fresh seafood, cheap fruits and vegetables/agriculture...plant anything anywhere in Chile...it grows and flourishes...!

My second most favorite country in the world (New Zealand takes the #1 spot for being the 'most hip' and most beautiful).

I lived and worked, made silver jewelry in Taxco and travelled the country. Speak Spanish fluently.

Mexico is not cheap. I am a Canadian I went there for 10 years every three months with my business from Canada and eventually moved there. I left 6 years ago and moved to Thailand.

It was $10 bucks for a haircut then. But a good place to retire to.

After nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

1. Tourist Visa is ~$25 U.S. Good for six months. No visa runs, no 90 reporting to immigration, unlimited (thought that may change in the future).

2. NO work permit needed to jam with the local musicians in the bars/clubs.

3. Jomtien beach is a sewer. Looks beautiful from a 5th floor condo, but I tried swimming in it recently and thought I might need to get some shots after, just filthy!

I'll be there in six weeks, I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

I think Mexico is not safe. There are dozens of drug cartels there and didn't 30 or so young people go missing recently ..........

I think I prefer Thailand as a safer place ..... but Mexican food is my no.1 choice !!! damn I love beef nachos, tacos, chimichangas, crab tostada's and fajita's .......... licklips.gif

You are making me hungry mate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

After nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

1. Tourist Visa is ~$25 U.S. Good for six months. No visa runs, no 90 reporting to immigration, unlimited (thought that may change in the future).

3. Jomtien beach is a sewer. Looks beautiful from a 5th floor condo, but I tried swimming in it recently and thought I might need to get some shots after, just filthy!

Is that the beach where he was building the boat at the end?

Keep us posted I want 2 know how it works out

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stay away from TJ, Mexico City, Cabo etc..... live a very humble lifestyle out in the sticks away from the main cartel area's and you will be OK. Want any kind of city life and show any kind of cash and you will have problems. In Mexico you either fly way under the radar but if you want to be noticed then be prepared for an expensive life of lavish living including all the body guards, gated communities and bullet proof cars. There is no middle ground.

"after nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

I'll be there in six weeks, I'll keep y'all posted on the progress'

Forget about the visa....you have to live with the culture.

Latin Americans in general are 'scammers'...in a cruder, more repulsive way than the 'Chinese-Thai's.

however, North American's feel a 'comfort zone' with staying within their own hemisphere...fools!

(it's only 1000 miles to my hospital in Chicago where I can have new stents installed to keep me on my' huevos rancheros' diet)

Yes Jomtien is a sewer.

Ever hear of a place called Phuket? I can't imagine ever leaving here.

Good luck in Mexico. You'll need it.

My first retirement choice was Mexico. This was in the late 80's. I would stay a few months in one town or city and then move on to see more. Always rented a house furnished. Drove an old car. I loved it. Even learned the language very well. Much easier than Thai thats for sure. Permit to stay in country was six months at a time with no reporting. I loved the mountains, the food and mostly the people. Only reason I left was that i had seen all I wanted to in Mexico. So moved to Asia. Big mistake. My heart is still in Mexico.

I visited Mexico many years ago and loved it.. great food.. people (apart from those who ripped you off!).. architecture.. culture.. beaches.. just great.... would love to go back.. but only to remote non touristy places.. the security issue is a big worry now.. but I haven't been for a long time.. so don't know what it is like on the ground there anymore...

Mexico...I lived and worked there for one year (in 1971/1972). Mexicans were content with what they had created for themselves. Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Michuacan, Patzcuaro, Mexico DF, Cuernavaca, Taxco, Oaxaca, Acapulco, Chiapas...all great palces with very individualistic/incredible food....(followed by Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia).

Today, Mexico is a greedy, corrupt, highly over-priced and inflated/low-value toilet...where 'gringo's' are looked upon as 'opportunities'.

Stay in Asia my friend!

Did you just describe Thailand there ... ?

"Did you just describe Thailand there ... ?"

Same,same... but different.

I know what you are saying, and right you are for saying it. But there is a different 'flavor' to Asia/Thailand that 'I' prefer.

I prefer how the Thai's 'cheat me' and 'rip-me-off' as opposed to how the Mexican's 'cheat me' and 'rip-me-off'...and the consequences.

But yes...both are very 'low' forms of humanity.

Edited by lgking

What security issues? Just stay away from the mafias and in a tourist location, you're fine.

Speak passible Spanish (mexican) and you should have not problems. Spanish is one heck of a lot easier than Thai seeing that it's based on latin.