Authorities launch pre-dawn cleansing raid in Pathum Thani

webfact

Authorities launch pre-dawn cleansing raid in Pathum Thani
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Up to 350 Crime Suppression Division (CSD) officers joined 150 soldiers and related officers to conduct a pre-dawn operation in the Talad Thai area of Pathum Thani's Klong Luang district.

The operation, stemming from public complaints of illegal workers and vices in the area, was part of a strategy to "cleanse" this wholesale market of illegal workers, illegally-operated establishments and drug problems, CSD chief Pol Maj-General Akaradech Pimonsri said.

The officers raided 17 karaoke bars and seven apartments and discovered 25 illegal migrants, 15 of whom tested positive for substance abuse.

The officers said they would try to enforce law in the area by possibly filing the charge of harbouring illegal migrants against the flat owners, he said, adding that this "Talad Thai Model" would be used elsewhere for similar cases.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Authorities-launch-pre-dawn-cleansing-raid-in-Path-30268997.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-17

21 illegal migrant workers rounded up in Talad Thai raid

17-9-2558-16-33-29-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 500 police and military personnel launched a raid of illegal migrant workers at Talad Thai in Pathum Thani province early Thursday morning.

Invoking Section 44 of the interim constitution, the officers conducted house searches of lodgings and apartments around Talad Thai market in Klong Luang district known to be the hub of foreign migrant workers.

Twenty-one were found to have entered the country illegally and 12 others were tested positive for drug use. However, most of the foreign migrant workers have proper work permits.

Pol Maj-Gen Akradej Pimonsri, commander of Crime Suppression Division police, said that the Talad Thai market raid would be used as a model for similar operations to be launched against the other targets which have high concentration of foreign migrant workers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/21-illegal-migrant-workers-rounded-up-in-talad-thai-raid

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-17

it sounds like of the raided bars ,only a few actually lost any staff .....

some bars have over a dozen girls

25 arrested from 17 bars sounds pretty naff

and the let the thai girls continue i suppose since they apparently are just "in a bar "

and thats not illegal ...........unless section 44 says it is

Great when the police go crashing into peoples houses in the middle of the night, without a warrant and arrest them for possession of illegal drugs. So, next day when they get out of the nick, minus all their cash, bouncing off the walls with eyes out on springs gagging for the next pipe at any cost. And people wonder why violent crime spikes after just such a mass "cleanse". Still, it made the press, bit of +ve PR for the brainless to swallow.

I was under the impression that only the PM could invoke article 44.

Oh - you think that he has to actually do anything under article 44 personally ?.

I might be wrong, but I would think others can carry it out as long as he has authorised it thumbsup.gif

It gives junta leader and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha absolute power to give any order deemed necessary to "strengthen public unity and harmony" or to prevent any act that undermines public peace.

Your right he can authorize the order but

seeing as the article doesn't state that he gave the order directly, I highly doubt that he did simply because we know how much he loves to be in the news.

Edited by ldiablo

At the rate of 21 arrests using 500 polilce and military, the government is going to need a special military draft to have enough manpower to catch the tens of thousands of illegal migrants in Thailand.

This action is okay for a "show and tell" but entirely inefficient use of public funds if done on a regular basis. Obviously, the most efficient policy is to get the illegal migrants registered so they can work without abuse or intimidation.

and the let the thai girls continue i suppose since they apparently are just "in a bar "

Yeah, well, the Thai girls don't need cleaning - they're clean enough already . . . . .

I was under the impression that only the PM could invoke article 44.

It's become very popular.

I'm going to try it with my wife.

So long, fellas.

I tried it with my wife and she invoked Article 88 which meant I had to give her 8,888 baht. biggrin.png

Well they don't want to cripple their weekly bonus's too severely.