Immigration delay inbound 16 Sept

Reached immigration 1200.Queue to immigration reached down to the main concourse.Guy in the line said it was the worst he had seen it in 10 years.

Only half the booth's where open.

Got to the IO 75 mins later.

IO insisted that i filled in the complete address of my stay and also she needed a contact telephone number

Then she asked why did'nt i have a visa ! (i'd been coming into LOS on visa exempt 30 days). Perhaps to many stamps ?. Anyway she stamped me up for 30 days.

Finally left the airport at 1415 after chasing my bags around the belts.

Apart from the buffoons who arrived at the front with no arrival cards is this now the norm or a sign of the times due to recent events.

They use to have a preliminary check before getting into a specific booth line, that verified you had a completed arrival/departure card completed. If you didn't have a card, you had to go a desk and get one, then to the end of the line, again.

Is the preliminary checker gone?

I arrived around 6:30 PM last Sunday and the desks were sparsely populated. The girls were at the front of the queue getting people to fill in their cards and also add a phone number. This delayed things as people were digging out itineraries for hotel addresses and some were totally lost for a phone number. It did slow things down and these girls should be moving along the conga line and not just checking them at the front end.

This weird immigration attitude is not good for the country. It just show how far more corrupt the junta is that the previous elected governments.

How does slow immigration queues = corrupt junta?

Tit for tat. Thais blame Farangs for their problems and Farangs blame problems on how corrupt Thais have become.

If you think about it, somehow it evens out and all makes great logic.

Edited by silent

Yes this idea that you need to write a phone number on the arrival card - although there is no space. When I asked which phone number, the checker said my phone number - I said I don't have a cellphone. He said write the phone number of your home in your home country. Very useful that will be.... if I am in Thailand who will answer it?

As a counter point to norfolkandchance, my flight arrived Suvarnabhumi at 12.15 on Monday 14th.

My seat was way back in cattle class so I was by no means near the front of the queue.

To cut short story shorter: after a 10 minute wait, I caught the 1pm bus to Pattaya. Needless to say, the process was a credit to LOS.

This weird immigration attitude is not good for the country. It just show how far more corrupt the junta is that the previous elected governments.

So how to explain the weird immigration attitude under the several previous elected governments ? whistling.gif

Before blaming corruption, perhaps you might demonstrate how the junta benefits, from the continuing weird immigration attitude which IMO is more down to general ineptitude and a lack of understanding of how to make Thailand more attractive to tourists.

I agree that it doesn't seem to be directed at smoothing the flow, or encouraging the return, of cash-bearing visitors or long-term foreign residents.

FWIW I returned to Swampy, at lunch-time a week or so ago, and Immigration took an unexceptional 20-25 minutes to negotiate. No question was asked, about why I hadn't completed the tourist-info section of the TM6, as long-term residents don't fill that in anyway, only tourists.

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived around 6:30 PM last Sunday and the desks were sparsely populated. The girls were at the front of the queue getting people to fill in their cards and also add a phone number. This delayed things as people were digging out itineraries for hotel addresses and some were totally lost for a phone number. It did slow things down and these girls should be moving along the conga line and not just checking them at the front end.

Thanks for the heads up on a phone number. In my dozen trips on visa exempt, I have never known any specific address or phone number. While sometimes I have made a reservation by email, I never have paid in advance because I always decide where I will stay after I see the room. Amazing how every time I made a reservation, they try to stick me with the one next to the elevator that opens and closes and ding ding dings all night long, or next to the noisy utility room, or on the noisy street side, etc. I usually put down "Pattaya" and that was it. Now I will bring a hotel address and a phone number. Often my phone has expired as use a pay for use Thai cell phone and have to get a SIM card each trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Came through at 16.30 on 15th September from Sydney..

Only 10 Mts wait but they did take longer checking my passport and visa.

No phone number asked for....

Would have given my OZ number, had the phone in my bag.

Turned of...no global roaming....

aussiep

Arrived 3 weeks ago, worst queues I have experienced. Scorn poured on my passport for having lots of 30 day stamps, referred to a boss who then just stamped me in. I come in 2 or 3 times a year. It puts tourists etc off...first impressions etc get the booths fully manned and have a Max 20 min wait target.