Border Run Alternatives

1 hour ago, worldfun said:

Mae Sai would suit me well as I like to travel in the north :)

Mae Sai is a great crossing to use. You just walk across the short bridge to enter Myanmar with Thai/Myanmar immigration on opposite sides of the bridge..Mae Sai airport is walking distance to the border for me which makes it a legitimate option even when traveling from Bangkok.

On 3/7/2018 at 12:18 AM, BritTim said:

Mae Sai is a great crossing to use. You just walk across the short bridge to enter Myanmar with Thai/Myanmar immigration on opposite sides of the bridge..Mae Sai airport is walking distance to the border for me which makes it a legitimate option even when traveling from Bangkok.

Hmm, interesting, which airlines fly to Mae Sai?

Sorry, I had a brain fade when talking about Mae Sai. I was actually thinking of Mae Sot. The only airline flying to Mae Sot is Nok Air. They run five flights daily from Don Muang. As I said earlier, the airport is only about 3 km from the border, which is a walkable bridge.

• Like 1

Good night everyone. I am a national of Argentina  (90 day visa exempt). Last week I was down south in Thailand, my 90 days run off and I went to Wang Prachan border with Malaysia to get a new 90 day stamp. They didn't allow me to leave the country and advice me to go to Satun Immigration, because of the circumstances I was more a less obliged to get a 7 day extension. They told me that if I wanted to do a Borden run I should have go to Padang Besar border, which by logistic reason I couldn't do at the time. Now I don't really know if they will allow me to do a border run. I entered Thailand in December 2017 after more of a year being out, therefore is my first stamp. My extension runs out tomorrow and I am considering options, What would you recommend me? My knowledge about this is rusted and seems the situation is quite different from 2 years ago. Also I am in BLK now so I thin Padang Besar is out of question. If anyone has the knowledge and a recommendation I will totally appreciate. Thank you.

56 minutes ago, Eterno said:

Good night everyone. I am a national of Argentina  (90 day visa exempt). Last week I was down south in Thailand, my 90 days run off and I went to Wang Prachan border with Malaysia to get a new 90 day stamp. They didn't allow me to leave the country and advice me to go to Satun Immigration, because of the circumstances I was more a less obliged to get a 7 day extension. They told me that if I wanted to do a Borden run I should have go to Padang Besar border, which by logistic reason I couldn't do at the time. Now I don't really know if they will allow me to do a border run. I entered Thailand in December 2017 after more of a year being out, therefore is my first stamp. My extension runs out tomorrow and I am considering options, What would you recommend me? My knowledge about this is rusted and seems the situation is quite different from 2 years ago. Also I am in BLK now so I thin Padang Besar is out of question. If anyone has the knowledge and a recommendation I will totally appreciate. Thank you.

I am not a national of one of the countries eligible for 90-day visa exempt entries, and am only repeating what I have seen reported elsewhere. My understanding is that most land crossings will not allow those entitled to 90-day visa exempt entries to do border hops. I suggest you contact visa run companies to see if any of them use a crossing where you will be allowed a further visa exempt entry. The visa run company will know the rules at the crossings they use.

Depending on your full history of tourist entries into Thailand, you could consider an in/out by air. If you do, ensure you have 20,000 baht cash equivalent, plus printouts showing your financial status that prove your ability to stay long periods in Thailand without illegal working. Also, be prepared with good answers as to why you want to spend many months in Thailand.

11 hours ago, Eterno said:

Good night everyone. I am a national of Argentina  (90 day visa exempt).

You may have to fly out and back to get a new 90 day entry.

This from a company's website that does border runs to Ban Laem for a crossing to Cambodia and Ban Phu Nam Ron to Myanmar from Bangkok.

• Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Chile and South Korea can NOT get 90 day visa exempt stamp at these two land border crossings. Need fly OUT/IN or apply Tourist Visa.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You may have to fly out and back to get a new 90 day entry.

This from a company's website that does border runs to Ban Laem for a crossing to Cambodia and Ban Phu Nam Ron to Myanmar from Bangkok.

Thank you ubonjoe! Good karma!

So possibly that mean the same attitude will be taken in almost every border as I see it.

6 minutes ago, Eterno said:

So possibly that mean the same attitude will be taken in almost every border as I see it.

Not sure about the ones to Laos or Mae Sai to Myanmar.

You might want to check for flights on Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur. No visa needed for Malaysia which saves a little money.

2 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

On another note is the Thailand consulate in Vientiane open on 17/4/2018?

Yes they will be open. But it will be a busy day after being closed from the 12th to the 16th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcsiva8 said:

Early wake up then. Lol. Or maybe give on 19th and pick up 20th. Thanks Joe much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you kidding :) 90% of those guys wake up and arrive before it even opens. I have actually had good luck arriving late right before they shut down for the day, almost no line although it takes a bit more nerve. 

Are you kidding :) 90% of those guys wake up and arrive before it even opens. I have actually had good luck arriving late right before they shut down for the day, almost no line although it takes a bit more nerve. 
Early waker, been there by 6am and people waiting, good chat, time goes by. Have to get the international bus back to khon kean by 2.45pm. Agree that layer is better, but pick up later the next day.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I arrived Visa-exempt from Bali in late October, 2017, and have done 2 visa runs by land to Mae Sai, one in December, 2017; the other in February of this year. Will I be OK to do another visa run to Mae Sai this month? That would be my second land entry of calendar 2018.

I am planning on switching to a retirement visa some time this year; doing visa runs in the meantime.

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Hi! I arrived Visa-exempt from Bali in late October, 2017, and have done 2 visa runs by land to Mae Sai, one in December, 2017; the other in February of this year. Will I be OK to do another visa run to Mae Sai this month? That would be my second land entry of calendar 2018.

You could do another visa exempt entry at Mae Sai but it would be certainly be the last one this year.

IMO it might best to go out for a tourist visa and save that one entry in case you had a problem getting a tourist visa later.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, bogus1965 said:

Any recent experience if Ban Phu Nam Ron border in Kanchanaburi is still a good option for a border bounce with Non-O based on marriage?

No problem to do one there.

There is a visa run company doing the runs to there from Bangkok now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going back to the USA to get another METV in June - I’ve heard there’s been hassles with Immigration officers at BKK and DMK. My question is, between the land crossing at Vientiane/Nong Kai (“friendship bridge”???)  and flying into Chiang Mai, which is the better option for avoiding hassles? (This will be my 5th METV visible in my passport, so I’m a little concerned after hearing reports of annoying hassles at BKK).

-thanks for any advice :)

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I am going back to the USA to get another METV in June - I’ve heard there’s been hassles with Immigration officers at BKK and DMK. My question is, between the land crossing at Vientiane/Nong Kai (“friendship bridge”???)  and flying into Chiang Mai, which is the better option for avoiding hassles? (This will be my 5th METV visible in my passport, so I’m a little concerned after hearing reports of annoying hassles at BKK).

Some will disagree, but I think arriving at Suvarnabhumi with a brand new METV is unlikely to be a problem if you have 20,000 baht cash equivalent, printed statements showing you have plenty of money to support your stay, and a good explanation for why you spend so much time in Thailand as a tourist (ie the official will not have reason to suspect you of working illegally).

Entering by land at Nong Khai will definitely be fine. We do not have horror stories from Chiang Mai airport, but recognize that the number of frequent travelers clearing immigration in Chiang Mai is far lower than in Bangkok, and any problems experienced there might just have flown below the radar. The vast majority of problems reported in Bangkok have been with people entering visa exempt, by the way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snacks said:

Another option is flying into Penang via KL, and then taking the Train through the Pedang Besar crossing and on to Hat Yai.  You may be asked to show 20K Baht worth of cash (can be USD) at that crossing, but no other hassles, based on reports to-date.  From there, you can take a domestic-flight from Hat Yai to anywhere in the country. 

One additional thing to have - an address where you plan to stay in Thailand to put on the TM-6 entry-form.  If you have a hotel-booking, have a printout to show the IO, or a business-card if a condo (what I have used).  They appreciate something printed to read from (seem to input it into their computer), rather than what you try to hand-write/squeeze into that little form-space.

Just to be on the safe-side, I would also carry paperwork showing a foreign funding-source - bank statement, etc.  But that has not been reported as requested at friendly crossings.  Also, have some sort of itinerary in mind, in case you are asked.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info!... also, has anyone heard anything about a limit on how many METV you can get? I'm headed back in June to get yet another from the LA consulate, and I just wanna make sure there isn’t some limit I’m unaware of. 

Thanks in advance :)

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Thanks for the info!... also, has anyone heard anything about a limit on how many METV you can get? I'm headed back in June to get yet another from the LA consulate, and I just wanna make sure there isn’t some limit I’m unaware of. 

There is no published limit. Limits are up to the embassy/consulate. 

You shouldn’t have a problem getting another visa, but being granted a visa doesn’t mean you won’t be questioned by immigration as to why you’re in the country if you’re living there as a tourist.

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Thanks for your help - by the way, is there any consensus on the best answer to that particular immigration question?.. 

Not really. But if they ask about any work in Thailand make sure you deny all work including remote work.

The chances of being given a hard time with a METV are, IMO, very small. I was just making you aware that getting the visa isn’t the only key to the kingdom.

• Like 1

A question on the side here. I just read that Laos customs (in contrast to all others (even Burma raised it recently from 2000 to 10000 USD)) does only allow to bring in more than 2000 USD in Cash without declaration. Any opinion or experience would be appreciated ...

Thanks

On 5/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Snacks said:

email bernard.r at thai consulate la dot org.  He's really helpful.