Border Run Alternatives

This is a little off topic but..

If for whatever reason you were denied at an airport. 

Would they send you to your home country or back from where you came.

My home country is AUS, most flights stop over in KL or Singapore. So for example, if they did send me back to Aus could I not just enter KL or Singapore when the flight gets there and come back to Thai over land or would the Tourist visa be voided?

CHEERS

1 hour ago, Mickster58 said:

This is a little off topic but..

If for whatever reason you were denied at an airport. 

Would they send you to your home country or back from where you came.

My home country is AUS, most flights stop over in KL or Singapore. So for example, if they did send me back to Aus could I not just enter KL or Singapore when the flight gets there and come back to Thai over land or would the Tourist visa be voided?

CHEERS

I have read of different policies applied in different cases.  As with most things in this realm, there is no consistency.

In some cases, the IOs have forced people back to their home-country, even though they begged to return where they came from or somewhere else.  This is rare - and probably when the person has ticked off the people in power with questions about why they are being denied entry.  The person may not get their passport back, until they get home (treated as if deported).

In most often (cases I have read), they force people to return where they came from - sometimes with the consequence that the next country forces the person back to their home-country.  The forced-flight home from the other country has NOT been reported by those sent back to neighboring countries - Malaysia, Laos, etc - it happened to a guy sent back to Ukraine, fairly recently. 

In a 3rd set of cases, the person was allowed to avoid official denial-of-entry, and simply purchase a ticket anywhere and leave.  Proper ass-kissing early on in the denial process might make this option available: "Oh, I did not realize that was the law**.  Thank you for letting me know.  Would it be OK for me to book a flight to (other country) and leave now?" 

The downside, is you might have been able to talk your way in with a bit of effort - but that effort might only dig the hole deeper, reducing your options. 

**("Law" = could be a made up "non- law," as often reported here)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They would let you travel to any country you had a ticket to.

So If I had a backup ticket booked, flying to KL from Thailand 3-4 hours after my original flight landed. Would I have the option to use that KL ticket that's already booked if I was denied?

10 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

So If I had a backup ticket booked, flying to KL from Thailand 3-4 hours after my original flight landed. Would I have the option to use that KL ticket that's already booked if I was denied?

That would be allowed.

I would highly suggest Sungnai Kolok and Kota Bharu. The border at Sungnai Kolok is always polite and fast. I have visited every border and embassies, with the exception of Myanmar and I daresay Kota Bharu is the best embassy around here.

Penang has introduced some restrictive regulations and you may spend some extra days. 

16 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

That is possible, but it would be entirely up to airport immigration. They could insist the carrier that brought you takes you back. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another very long thread!

Pardon what may be a stupid question, but:

Do non-im O multiple entry visa holders ever have trouble with step out step in border runs in the south? 

Since one can fly Bangkok-Hat Yai RT for the cost of a Lao/Khmer visa, and there is no visa for Malaysia, a land crossing is very attractive. But I hear horror stories about Sungai Kolok, Pedang Besar, and especially Sadao.

29 minutes ago, gunghang said:

Do non-im O multiple entry visa holders ever have trouble with step out step in border runs in the south? 

Avoid Sadao if possible. Pedang Besar is a better choice.

Be sure you have the equivalent of 20k baht in cash in case it is asked for. There have been a few reports of them telling people they needed to stay overnight before getting a new entry.

Another option from Bangkok is Ban Phu Nam Ron in crossing Kanchanaburi to Myanmar that will cost a total of  960 baht and no visa sticker is done. Or you could fly to Mae Sot to do the crossing to Myanmar. It will be 500 baht or $10 US for a border pass. I have seen reports that the crossing is within walking distance of the airport.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Or you could fly to Mae Sot to do the crossing to Myanmar. It will be 500 baht or $10 US for a border pass. I have seen reports that the crossing is within walking distance of the airport.

I was there 21 years ago. I had flown to Tak. I returned via P'lok and the sprinter to Bangkok.

An airport in Mae Sot is very interesting news, as is a $10 border pass.  Thank you so much!

(And the bridge does indeed appear to be walking distance from the airport.) 

I'll travel in very early November. I'll try to fly one way and take the train & bus the other way and report back.

Mae Sot.png

20 minutes ago, DJ54 said:
  • Curious and you may have said but I missed it. Why do you think you’ll be denied. 

Some land border crossings aren't exactly warm and fuzzy with people  walking across twice in less than one hour.

Now I know to avoid one and have 20K to show at another.  Or, better still, cross elsewhere. 

I was just denied a tourist visa in Hong Kong.

I have been in Thailand since 2016 on visa exemptions and two SETV's. When submitting the application the man asked a lot of questions and wanted to see a lot of info and even info about the guarantor I put on the form ( he could of just called the number that I put there if he thought I was bullshitting?)

In the end he gave the application to his boss who said I have to go back to Australia to apply for a tourist visa.

SO I need some advice please people. What is my best option from here? I have a flight to Phuket tomorrow night.

Should I fly in and attempt a visa exempt entry ( I have used 3 visas exempt this year already, two walk-ins have been used up. )

Or should I spend a shit ton of money and go to Vientiane from Hong Kong and apply for a tourist visa there.

I am thinking to try to fly back tomorrow on visa exempt and then going to Vientiane the next time I have to go out.

2 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Should I fly in and attempt a visa exempt entry ( I have used 3 visas exempt this year already, two walk-ins have been used up. )

Unless you have a history of doing visa exempt back to back you should be able to get one without a problem.

I suggest you have at least the equivalent of 10k baht in cash and ticket out of the country to show. Best to have a ticket to someplace where you can get another tourist visa in case you were denied entry.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless you have a history of doing visa exempt back to back you should be able to get one without a problem.

I suggest you have at least the equivalent of 10k baht in cash and ticket out of the country to show. Best to have a ticket to someplace where you can get another tourist visa in case you were denied entry.

My last 2-3 pages of my passport are full of exempt stamps and extensions stamps.. Pretty silly of me to use up both my land border crossings.

But I do have the cash requirement and I will make sure I have a flight out and a hotel booking to show.

Edited by Mickster58

1 hour ago, Mickster58 said:

I was just denied a tourist visa in Hong Kong.

This is quite surprising, as Hong Kong has been one of the best locations to apply for a tourist visa. What questions did they ask you? Did they ask for any documents you were unable to provide? Had you received tourist visas from Hong Kong before? If so, when?

I got an SETV from HK in Jan 2018. My passport was full of Tourist Visas. I never use Visa Exempts. I never overstay. I got a couple of questions and a stern reminder not to work in Thailand.

So, it is possible HK was on the slide at that point and now they are further along the curve of restricting SETV's. Further reports will confirm this theory or disprove it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is quite surprising, as Hong Kong has been one of the best locations to apply for a tourist visa. What questions did they ask you? Did they ask for any documents you were unable to provide? Had you received tourist visas from Hong Kong before? If so, when?

Not sure why you’re surprised. It’s been promoted as “one of the best locations”, which has probably increased the number of applications from long term ‘tourists’, which inevitably would result in reports like this.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I got a SETV from HK last year in February no issues at al. Since then I have stupidly been on back to back visa exempt entries with extensions. Spending only 1 month back home in AUS.

I actually had all the required documents, except my bank statement was missing 1 page it was a 3-page statement i only had the first 2 pages which 'did not have the information they need'.

He asked what I was doing in Thailand for two years, I said I was traveling around, staying with friends and a lady (probably far from the best answer).

He then asked where I get money from - I said I have an online business running in Australia(which is true), he seemed to acknowledge this as if it was ok.

He then asked about the guarantor on my application who is my landlord(dunno who else to put, my gf?). Asked me for more information on this person, I said they are more than welcome to call the number and speak to the landlord. They didnt do that.

He then said wait I will talk with my boss, sit down first.

5 minutes later the boss said I have to go back to thailand and get a 30 day visa exemption and if I want a toursit visa I need to apply for one in my home country. 

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Not sure why you’re surprised. It’s been promoted as “one of the best locations”, which has probably increased the number of applications from long term ‘tourists’, which inevitably would result in reports like this.

Yeah, there were three times as many people this year then when I was there last year.

Maybe it's like that on Mondays

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing my first 8 month trip - my previous trips has always been 3 months and had the following setup: apply for SE Tourist Visa in my home country (Sweden) and then extend it by 30 days when in Thailand. 

60 + 30 = 90. 

Now, however, I need to do 'Visa Runs'. The setup is following:

1) Apply for SE Tourist Visa in my home country and extend it by 30 days. 

2) Leave the country by air on day ~ 85.

3) Apply for a new Tourist Visa SE from whichever country I'm currently visiting (my plans are for Vietnam). 

4) Travel back to Thailand by air. Extend it by 30. 

60 + 30 = 90 

5) Leave Thailand on day 85....

6) Repeat. 

HOWEVER! I just did some research on Ho Chi Minh City and could read on the Thai Embassy website that I'm only allowed to apply for a Tourist Visa if I'm a permanent resident of Vietnam. 

Is this the case for all countries? Any workaround on this? 

I could of course do the 30 + 30 many times but I'm not so keen on traveling abroad every 55 days or so....

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

HOWEVER! I just did some research on Ho Chi Minh City and could read on the Thai Embassy website that I'm only allowed to apply for a Tourist Visa if I'm a permanent resident of Vietnam. 

That must be confused wording of the conditions, or a decade old webpage. There is absolutely no problem getting a single entry tourist visa in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. Perhaps, there is confusion over single and multiple entry tourist visas. You must, indeed, be a permanent resident to get a multiple entry tourist visa.

90 day exempt national.

Entered thailand December 2017, last day of stamp on march tried to leave by land by Wang Prachan border to Malaysia, was not allowed to leave, had to extend 7 days for 1900b. Left to cambodia by Ban Hat Lek border a week later. Spent a month in Cambodia. Went back to Thailand by the same border and got  90 day visa exempt again.

My doubt is. If i would spend a month in another country and i come back, would they give me a 90 day stamp again?

Also, Vientiane is the only consulate in a neighboring country which is not asking for bank statements / tickets / booking?

Thanks in advance. 

7 minutes ago, Eterno said:

My doubt is. If i would spend a month in another country and i come back, would they give me a 90 day stamp again?

Also, Vientiane is the only consulate in a neighboring country which is not asking for bank statements / tickets / booking?

It would depend upon which border crossing you used. By air probably not a problem.

Vientiane is the only nearby location that does not ask for financial proof and tickets out ot the country.

Lower northeast crossing to Cambodia.. Choeng Chom in Surin province. Chong Sa Ngam in Sisaket. The Sisakt Immigration is right before the border to Cambodia, but for two years the Immigration is also in Sisaket from Monday to Friday. I've heard that they also open on Saturday mornings.

For those who want to get to Chong Sa Ngam from Sisaket, it's 105 km away. Best option to take the 220, please see screenshot.

Sisaket to Chong Sa Ngam.png

So, I'm currently on a 60 days extension of my non-imm "O". To make things a bit easier I decided to opt for a ED visa for my last 2 years in University here. However, the school won't get the paperwork in order before I need to leave the country. Which leaves me with 2 options, get a SETV or a Visa exemption.

I would much prefer the Visa exemption, however, how strict are they about onward traveling out from Thailand at the land border? I would prefer not to spend any money for flights or similar before the next semester starts and I've gotten my study allowance/scholarship+loan, but I've heard that you need an onward ticket after 30 or 60 days if you intend to prolong.
I feel my reasons are quite legit and I do have my student card + signed and stamped papers from the uni saying I will study. I basically just need to get 30 days to sort out the paperwork then head back to Vientiane (where I plan to do the border run this time).

So, should I be worried? or could I just book a flight or train ticket there and then at the border if they say it's needed?

Could I just cross the border and go back, or would it be better to stay a night in Vientiane?

Edited by banglassie

If you only need 30 days, are from a country eligible for visa exempt entry, and do not expect the need for any further tourist entries, a border hop for a visa exempt entry should be fine. You are very unlikely to need a flight ticket out of Thailand. However, two warnings:

1. Do not do your border hop at Aranyaprathet/Poipet.
  2. Have 10,000 baht cash equivalent on you, as the immigration officials can ask to see this.

Avoiding Sadao in the South of Thailand might also be prudent.

• Like 1