Border Run Alternatives

Good to know,
Thanks very much
C.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for clarifying. I'll fly in to Don meung, I months time and see what happens!!
Cheers

Sorry meant 3 months time after visa and extension expires.

My mistake, I wrote 1months time in my last post.
Thanks very much.

May I remind all when arriving in Laos and getting a visa on arrival, most nationalities save around 400 Baht by paying in dollars rather than baht. However, the dollars need to be unmarked.

I picked up some dollars in Thailand and did not notice each bill had an identical small ink stamp on it, perhaps from a bank. These dollars were rejected at the Laos border and I had to pay in baht.

I later tested the same dollars at a money changer in Laos and they were similarly rejected. I had no problem changing them back in Thailand.

• Like 2

May I remind all when arriving in Laos and getting a visa on arrival, most nationalities save around 400 Baht by paying in dollars rather than baht. However, the dollars need to be unmarked.

I picked up some dollars in Thailand and did not notice each bill had an identical small ink stamp on it, perhaps from a bank. These dollars were rejected at the Laos border and I had to pay in baht.

I later tested the same dollars at a money changer in Laos and they were similarly rejected. I had no problem changing them back in Thailand.
Yes, you are right, I pay with US$ 31 for Aussie passport, basically saving 300baht. If you got the Laos visa from the Laos consulate at khon kean, they charge 1400baht.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right, I pay with US$ 31 for Aussie passport, basically saving 300baht. If you got the Laos visa from the Laos consulate at khon kean, they charge 1400baht.

Hi all,
Just wanting to know what the stamp issued to a Russian lady saying
"VOID WITHOUT PREJUDICE"
means?

2 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Just wanting to know what the stamp issued to a Russian lady saying
"VOID WITHOUT PREJUDICE"
means?

I think that was done at the embassy in Phnom Penh.

The stamp means that visa application was not approved by a consular officer for any valid reason IMO. It seems they are collecting the visa fee and then not approving the application for some unknown reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Done at Vientiane yesterday

Did they have to pay the 1000 baht fee. It seems the application was accepted but then denied. With the way Vientiane does it you don't pay the fee until the next day when you pickup your passport.

4 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Here's the latest list of official holidays put out by the Thai consular section of the Thai embassy in Vientiane Laos

It is also on their website here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/news/announce/detail.php?ID=642

Also on their calendar. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php

42 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Done at Vientiane yesterday

Was the Russian lady applying for a tourist visa, or some other kind of visa? I have never heard of a voided tourist visa from Vientiane before. Was she trying to use an agent? Although agents are not supposed to be allowed in Vientiane, at other locations voided visas are often used to justify taking payment even though no visa is forthcoming.

• Like 1

Was the Russian lady applying for a tourist visa, or some other kind of visa? I have never heard of a voided tourist visa from Vientiane before. Was she trying to use an agent? Although agents are not supposed to be allowed in Vientiane, at other locations voided visas are often used to justify taking payment even though no visa is forthcoming.
Frankly speaking, I'm not to sure about the story, but I was told she was at Vientiane 3 days ago and was shown the stamp to another lady, who told someone else that she had this stamp. Whether she got it at Cambodia as Joe suggested, or she got it at Laos, I'm not to sure.
I only wanted to understand what it might mean.
Sorry for the confusion.
My bad

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DannyP said:

Hello, Do You know what kind of documents are required when I apply for SETV in Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Yanngon and Vientiane? I mean in reality. Thanks for reply.

In all cases, you need photocopies of your passport data page and of the entry stamp into the country where you are applying. You also need visa photos and, of course, the visa fee.

For Kuala Lumpur, see http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/Notes_1_1 Toursit TR_1_0 application(1).pdf

For Penang, it is hard to say. Best avoided if you have more than one previous tourist visa in your passport, and talk to an agent anyway. You probably need an onward flight, hotel bookings and financial proof. They are sometimes very difficult.

For Yangon, you need an confirmed onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days (bus or train ticket probably accepted) and, at least, a few days hotel booking (or rental contract to show, or letter from someone offering you lodging). Yangon is a nice place to apply. They have requirements, but are pretty flexible.

Vientiane is the easiest in terms of requirements. You need nothing except the basic photocopies, photos and visa fee. However, if you plan to stay in Thailand for a long time on tourist visas, I recommend you use more restrictive consulates first, falling back on Vientiane later. You will likely only get three SETVs from Vientiane, possibly four. Then they stamp your passport with a notification that you enter Thailand often on tourist visas, and will not give you any more later.

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In all cases, you need photocopies of your passport data page and of the entry stamp into the country where you are applying. You also need visa photos and, of course, the visa fee.

For Kuala Lumpur, see http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/Notes_1_1 Toursit TR_1_0 application(1).pdf

For Penang, it is hard to say. Best avoided if you have more than one previous tourist visa in your passport, and talk to an agent anyway. You probably need an onward flight, hotel bookings and financial proof. They are sometimes very difficult.

For Yangon, you need an confirmed onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days (bus or train ticket probably accepted) and, at least, a few days hotel booking (or rental contract to show, or letter from someone offering you lodging). Yangon is a nice place to apply. They have requirements, but are pretty flexible.

Vientiane is the easiest in terms of requirements. You need nothing except the basic photocopies, photos and visa fee. However, if you plan to stay in Thailand for a long time on tourist visas, I recommend you use more restrictive consulates first, falling back on Vientiane later. You will likely only get three SETVs from Vientiane, possibly four. Then they stamp your passport with a notification that you enter Thailand often on tourist visas, and will not give you any more later.

Thank You so much for very useful information. I have one SETV from embassy in my country and 3 visa exemptions (2 was extended) in immigration. 

I'm in Malaysia now and maybe I will try to apply in Kuala Lumpur. According link, I need reservation/confirmation of transportation ticket to and from Thailand. 

What if I want travelling by bus? Do I need ticket too? 

About ticket "from Thailand", its no difference where or I need only to my homecountry? 

What if I want extend my visa after 2 months? 

Do You maybe know how should look a financial proof? They want see money in cash or some bills from bank? Do I need confirmation from bank? 

Based on your experience: do You think Kuala Lumpur embassy ask about financial proof? 

What about Yangon about type of ticket and financal proof? 

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

What if I want travelling by bus? Do I need ticket too? 

You need to showed a confirmed reservation into Thailand. I would expect they would accept a bus ticket, but no guarantees.

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

About ticket "from Thailand", its no difference where or I need only to my homecountry? 

In Kuala Lumpur (and other consulates except possibly Penang) the onward ticket can be to anywhere outside Thailand. A flight reservation is definitely acceptable. A bus ticket may be.

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

What if I want extend my visa after 2 months? 

A good question. I am unsure whether Kuala Lumpur will accept on onward flight over 60 days after arrival in Thailand. A couple of years ago, Kuala Lumpur was pretty difficult, but they have become friendlier, and might show flexibility.

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

Do You maybe know how should look a financial proof? They want see money in cash or some bills from bank? Do I need confirmation from bank? 

It needs to be photocopies of recent bank statements, or updated bank book. These can be from either Thai or foreign accounts. Cash will not work as they need something to store in their files.

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

Based on your experience: do You think Kuala Lumpur embassy ask about financial proof? 

Most likely not, but I would take it with me just in case.

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

What about Yangon about type of ticket and financal proof? 

As I posted above, I believe Yangon will accept a confirmed bus or train ticket out of Thailand. I expect they would accept a flight reservation 60-90 days out. As with Kuala Lumpur, financial proof should be photocopies of bank account statements or bank books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cleverman said:

75 pages of visa run alternatives, amazing, didn't think there would be anywhere near that many. 

Obviously, there is some duplication. However, three years is an eternity when considering policies at different airports, consulates, and land crossings. Reports from 2015 are often worthless when planning visa runs or border bounces today.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

Can some one update me with the latest info about TR visa in KL . . . , 

This is really the wrong thread. However, reports over the last year or two suggest Kuala Lumpur is now a decent place to apply as long as you satisfy the requirements on their checklist. I would still hesitate to apply there if I had many previous Thai tourist visas in my passport, especially if issued in Kuala Lumpur. It is definitely now a better place to apply than Penang.

3 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

Can some one update me with the latest info about TR visa in KL . . . , 

Reports for some time have been positive. Just meet the requirements on this checklist and should not have a problem.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/Notes_1_1 Toursit TR_1_0 application(1).pdf

On 1/25/2019 at 8:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

Reports for some time have been positive. Just meet the requirements on this checklist and should not have a problem.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/Notes_1_1 Toursit TR_1_0 application(1).pdf

OKey thanks just what i wanted to hear . . , i just have 1 TR visa made in Sweden from 2018 , after that some TR visas back in 2016. , i think no problems.... you think best to have 20k in cash when come back to don maung airport?.,

On 1/25/2019 at 8:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

4 hours ago, oMega69 said:

OKey thanks just what i wanted to hear . . , i just have 1 TR visa made in Sweden from 2018 , after that some TR visas back in 2016. , i think no problems.... you think best to have 20k in cash when come back to don maung airport?.,

I would recommend you carry the cash (which does not need to be in Thai currency: any major currency will do). You probably will not need to show it, but it is technically a requirement, and an easy precaution to take.

• Like 1

Also i have my home ticket to Sweden less then 90days when i apply for singel entry toruist visa in KL . . will do the 30 day extension later.., No problems at the KL embassy? . .
All other embassy i have apply for TR with outbound flight ticket not more then 90days had been accepted before. ., never been to KL so need to ask..

1 hour ago, Mangkhut said:

Is Mae Sai/Tachilek still the place to go for a visarun (visaexcempt-run) up north?

Yes it can still be done.

But remember you can only do 2 visa exempt entries at a land border crossing per calendar year.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys whats a current safe way to get another tourist visa? I've already got 2 from Laos over the past few years and dont want to push that and get that stamp. GF would like to go to Vietnam/Malaysia/Cambodia. What would be the easiest of these? 

I was little weary of Cambodia reading some reports of problems. Vietnam my friend got stopped at the airport a few years ago and questioned coming from there. Also if any of these have a border that would make the trip a little easier then risking an airport that would be cool. 

Oh yeah wanted to give back a little info for all the help this forum has given me. Hong Kong is starting to be not so visa friendly reading internet reports. "They will require tons of additional documents: bank statements, employment letters, explanatory letters, cash" That was from google. Was going to go there(went last year) but not going to mess with all that.  

Thanks

7 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Hey guys whats a current safe way to get another tourist visa? I've already got 2 from Laos over the past few years and dont want to push that and get that stamp. GF would like to go to Vietnam/Malaysia/Cambodia. What would be the easiest of these? 

I was little weary of Cambodia reading some reports of problems. Vietnam my friend got stopped at the airport a few years ago and questioned coming from there. Also if any of these have a border that would make the trip a little easier then risking an airport that would be cool. 

Oh yeah wanted to give back a little info for all the help this forum has given me. Hong Kong is starting to be not so visa friendly reading internet reports. "They will require tons of additional documents: bank statements, employment letters, explanatory letters, cash" That was from google. Was going to go there(went last year) but not going to mess with all that.  

Thanks

For the visa applications itself I would choose Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi) as the best, Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur or Kota Bharu, but not Penang) next, and Cambodia (Phnom Penh) as the least desirable.

However, if you have spent a lot of time in Thailand as a tourist over the last year or so, there is a slight risk entering Thailand by air (possibly, this does not apply at all airports, but does seem a potential issue at Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket and Krabi). Do not worry about this (entering with a visa) if you have spent less than six months out of the last year in Thailand. If you want to enter Thailand by land (always safe with a visa except at Poipet/Aranyaprathet) this makes Vietnam less attractive as the place to get your visa, unless you fancy making a real holiday out of it, returning something like Ho Chi Minh City -> Phnom Penh -> Ko Kong -> Hat Lek (Thai border) -> etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

For the visa applications itself I would choose Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi) as the best, Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur or Kota Bharu, but not Penang) next, and Cambodia (Phnom Penh) as the least desirable.

However, if you have spent a lot of time in Thailand as a tourist over the last year or so, there is a slight risk entering Thailand by air (possibly, this does not apply at all airports, but does seem a potential issue at Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket and Krabi). Do not worry about this (entering with a visa) if you have spent less than six months out of the last year in Thailand. If you want to enter Thailand by land (always safe with a visa except at Poipet/Aranyaprathet) this makes Vietnam less attractive as the place to get your visa, unless you fancy making a real holiday out of it, returning something like Ho Chi Minh City -> Phnom Penh -> Ko Kong -> Hat Lek (Thai border) -> etc.

Yeah I'll most likely do Vietnam and have to roll the dice that through the airport. Thanks alot for the reply.