Yingluck & former ministers to pay half trillion baht compensation

webfact

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow if this goes through, it is a good reason for the previous government to release their dogs of war again. This is serious money. It would really cripple them and make it hard for them to put money in the next election. This could certainly end in a paid for uprising by the previous government because this hits them where it hurts.

We do need to see if this will really happen (them paying money) but if this is really pushed it could make the previous government want to strike back.

One more analysis;

It's obvious that the vast majority of the 'get real rich real quick club' were very open to corruption and collusion.

That's why they joined the 'club'. It's also pretty obvious that the pre-requirements to join the 'club' weren't knowledge, capability, ethics and morals, and a desire to contribute to building a civil society with benefits for all etc.

And no doubt they were all told that there was no personal risk.

Now, maybe some might have second thoughts about being a member of the 'club'.

Wow if this goes through, it is a good reason for the previous government to release their dogs of war again. This is serious money. It would really cripple them and make it hard for them to put money in the next election. This could certainly end in a paid for uprising by the previous government because this hits them where it hurts.

We do need to see if this will really happen (them paying money) but if this is really pushed it could make the previous government want to strike back.

Perhaps the gamble is that they can break the Shinawatra's without starting big trouble?

Have they considered what may happen if they jail Yingluck should she not be able/ refuse to pay? Are they strong enough to hold down the country and it's population, outside of Bangkok?

I think we can take it as another indication that this time they are playing for keeps.

We've already established they don't give two hoots what the international community thinks - ousting an elected Prime Minister and replacing her government with a military Junta, and then fining her 10 Billion Quid! The police awarding themselves that reward money pales into insignificance.

It could well be that they think they can break the Shinawatra's with this, perhaps they have seen what not breaking them leads too.

I think the army thinks they are strong enough to hold them down, and a real confrontation with the army would see the red-shirts as the looser. However if they start a bombing cam pain or something like that it could make the army back off. But they might loose a lot of support if they start bombing people.

As you said looks like they are playing for keeps this time. This could get bad depending on what action the red-shirts take. If they go face to face with the army they loose. If they start a bombing campaign in BKK the people loose. I don't see how they can overthrow the army.

I wouldn't be do sure. Most of the army is conscript. Loyalties will be uncertain, particularly as they are conscripted predominantly from amongst the working poor. Middle class kids are apparently surprisingly lucky in the draft lottery. I don't think it even exists for rich kids.

Most of the army lacks organic mobility (their own transport). They are basically unable to operate in any strength away from where they are based.

In terms of its tactical ability and leadership, who knows, I suspect it may be an empty shell.

If the reds have any sense ( a big if I accept) they won't bomb or burn Bangkok. Just ensure that the junta's writ doesn't extend beyond the big cities (essentially Bangkok).

The army has 6000 medium to heavy trucks that could be used for troop transport.

Where will all the compensation money REALLY go to? That is the question.... tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

the former cabinet will not take the rapp for this

the money for the rice scheme didnt even exist

farmers were promised over the odds payment for rice which a lot of sat rotting for 2-3 years

until most of it was spolied ,stolen or finally destroyed by arson when people tried to count it

half a trillion is a nice number but i think they would need to be in jail before they would sell mansions or make those

type of phone calls to offshore accountants

Good job done by PM Prayuth Chan o cha wai2.gif We salute you & the people of Thailand salute you .........

Someone needed to take control and try to get back the billions missing and wasted payed by taxpayers.

do NOT insult the people of Thailand

YOU can grovel as much as you like BUT the people of Thailand DO NOT salute him unless he has a gun (yes we know he has) and all the Thais I know do not support him your post is a presumptuous disgrace

I hope it doesn't come to a shooting war. But looking at the sheer amount of real estate the Army would have to control, and their lack of mobility ( and helicopters) to allow them to dominate- well I have to disagree.

They would only have to protect the economic valuable points if the reds held some nowhere town in Isarn nobody would care. If they were to go into BKK the army could easily stop them. Same goes for the other large cities. The reds could not win this only bombing would help them and of-course make them a lot of enemies world wide.

Good job done by PM Prayuth Chan o cha wai2.gif We salute you & the people of Thailand salute you .........

Someone needed to take control and try to get back the billions missing and wasted payed by taxpayers.

YOU can grovel as much as you like BUT the people of Thailand DO NOT salute him unless he has a gun (yes we know he has) and all the Thais I know do not support him your post is a presumptuous disgrace

Ofcourse people in your corner don't support him but he has plenty of support if given the choice between the Shins and him I am pretty sure his support is not as low as you want it to be.

There will be some lovely new feathers in the nest of the top brass after that pay out...

Wonder if the poor ripped off rice farmers will see any baht from this ?

Maybe just one highly publicised photo op small payout for the farmers then cash gone forever...ppfftt..gone

How were the farmers ripped off? They were (eventually) paid over the market price for the pledged rice.

Most Thai's I know agree with the PM's actions ........ just because you don't doesn't mean they will follow you.

So you would rather have the protests every day and the killings and security risks as before.

Well sorry buddy , but most thai's are past that unfortunate era and don't want it back.

If you don't like the way things are now you could always leave. wai2.gif

Ofcourse people in your corner don't support him but he has plenty of support if given the choice between the Shins and him I am pretty sure his support is not as low as you want it to be.

what corner? hold an ELECTION and find out! what I HATE is posters trying to speak FOR the people of Thailand whatever side they are on

you don't hear me or others posting "thank you Yingluck the people of Thailand salute you" because (even though she won the election) it's utter NONSENSE to speak for the 'people of Thailand' only elections do that

what corner? hold an ELECTION and find out! what I HATE is posters trying to speak FOR the people of Thailand whatever side they are on

you don't hear me or others posting "thank you Yingluck the people of Thailand salute you" because (even though she won the election) it's utter NONSENSE to speak for the 'people of Thailand' only elections do that

Your trying to speak for the people too by mentioning that nobody you know supports him. I am pretty sure he has quite some support (how high no idea) but certainly quite a bit.

Why would he want to hold an election he is in power now, I don't like the guy as a person and a PR disaster but i still prefer the junta over the Shins. Though I don't agree with quite a few things the junta does. This action for instance I think is crazy, and I doubt it will get a green light. Sure penalize them for the rice scam, but these amounts are crazy.

That's $14,321,621,100 US dollars. Does she have that much?

only if she returns her La Vinci fashion jewelry, Gucci handbags, Vasaci bags, Pierre Cardin watches, La Pirri design shoes, Channel No5 perfume and Lou Vigaro dresses back to the shop and see if she can get a full refund.

Dr Wissanu: less than 500 billion baht in compensation will be demanded from Ms Yingluck

130-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said Friday that the amount of compensation to be demanded from former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra for the massive loss caused to the state from the rice pledging scheme would be less than 500 billion baht as earlier reported.

He said that he had already had the figures of the compensation but declined to elaborate.

The deputy prime minister, however, said that the issue about demanding compensation from those responsible for causing the loss from the controversial scheme must be settled this month by two fact-finding committees – one each of the Commerce and Finance ministries.

The investigation reports of the two committees will be submitted to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha who will then pass them on to another committee considering civil liability headed by the director-general of Comptroller Department, said Dr Wissanu, adding that this committee will determine the amount of compensation to be demanded from Ms Yingluck.

He explained that, normally, the accused would file a counter-charge against the government with the Administrative Court in which case the government would become the accused or the defendant.

But if there is no counter-charge, he said the government would go ahead with confiscating the assets of the accused to pay for the loss from the scheme as determined by the committee.

He cited the case of former central bank governor Roengchai Marakanond who was ordered to pay compensation to the state for his failed attempt to use foreign reserves to defend the baht from currency attacks during 1996-97.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dr-wissanu-less-than-500-billion-baht-in-compensation-will-be-demanded-from-ms-yingluck

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-18

Dr Wissanu: less than 500 billion baht in compensation will be demanded from Ms Yingluck

130-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said Friday that the amount of compensation to be demanded from former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra for the massive loss caused to the state from the rice pledging scheme would be less than 500 billion baht as earlier reported.

He said that he had already had the figures of the compensation but declined to elaborate.

The deputy prime minister, however, said that the issue about demanding compensation from those responsible for causing the loss from the controversial scheme must be settled this month by two fact-finding committees – one each of the Commerce and Finance ministries.

The investigation reports of the two committees will be submitted to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha who will then pass them on to another committee considering civil liability headed by the director-general of Comptroller Department, said Dr Wissanu, adding that this committee will determine the amount of compensation to be demanded from Ms Yingluck.

He explained that, normally, the accused would file a counter-charge against the government with the Administrative Court in which case the government would become the accused or the defendant.

But if there is no counter-charge, he said the government would go ahead with confiscating the assets of the accused to pay for the loss from the scheme as determined by the committee.

He cited the case of former central bank governor Roengchai Marakanond who was ordered to pay compensation to the state for his failed attempt to use foreign reserves to defend the baht from currency attacks during 1996-97.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dr-wissanu-less-than-500-billion-baht-in-compensation-will-be-demanded-from-ms-yingluck

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-09-18

theyve already agreed on a lesser amount lol

goood old thailand

i wonder how much bribe hes getting for reducing the amount ............:)

Most Thai's I know agree with the PM's actions ........ just because you don't doesn't mean they will follow you.

So you would rather have the protests every day and the killings and security risks as before.

Well sorry buddy , but most thai's are past that unfortunate era and don't want it back.

If you don't like the way things are now you could always leave. wai2.gif

Don't confuse Bangkok with the rest of Thailand, where 95% of the population went about their daily lives, the same as they have done for decades, as in without fear of killings.. hyperbole much?

I hope it doesn't come to a shooting war. But looking at the sheer amount of real estate the Army would have to control, and their lack of mobility ( and helicopters) to allow them to dominate- well I have to disagree.

They would only have to protect the economic valuable points if the reds held some nowhere town in Isarn nobody would care. If they were to go into BKK the army could easily stop them. Same goes for the other large cities. The reds could not win this only bombing would help them and of-course make them a lot of enemies world wide.

I think you're overestimating the RTA's willingness to engage in any sort of confrontation, they can't deploy enough down South to combat Terrorism, they use the militias and Rangers, any sort of confrontation on a large scale will see divisions within the RTA, and desertions by the score mate.

As one poster has already asked, exactly who gets this money if it were to ever be "taken", it sure is doing wonders for reconciliation though isn't it? wink.png

It opens up a whole new precedence, people need to remember, what goes around, comes around, and it's not always going to go in the favour of the Junta, it's almost like Prayuth is deliberately provoking a reaction amongst the reds.

Im not so sure all they would have to do is send in the army when groups of red shirts appear its not like they need to occupy terrain with ambushed like in the south. But I still think its not going to happen as I doubt the money will be paid. But now witht he lower amount of money there might be some claim still.

Anyway it sounded real bad and now its already a lot less bad for YL and her friends.

Has the government clearly given their (or the courts?) reasoning for this? I know lot's of people are quite emotional about this issue, and I just wonder if there is some rational explication somewhere that goes beyond "it was a bad scheme".

600 billion is about what Suthep and Gen. Prayut cost the country in their 'rule or ruin' campaign to shut the country down so as to justify military rule.

And that is so far. By the time they have finished it will be a lot more. These are also true losses to the country whereas the rice scheme just issued some of the money to the wrong people but it stayed in the country and will be recirculated amongst all the well off. It was never lost.

I doubt you can show where the 600 billion ( rice scam monies) went or is.I did not see it appear on asset declarations turned in. It was laundered via a few monks, crooked bankers, crooked relatives /family, etc each would get a little comp for handling and they may even have put a very small amount into local economy . By making them pay the money back they are going to get hit twice on conversion rates, lose the laundery fee and expose others involved.

Talk about squealing like a pig stuck under a gate. I just hope it comes to pass, it would set a beautiful example for future poloticians here and in other countries. Its a great idea if it works .