Democracy Activists Ignore Junta Order to Call Off March

Lite Beer

Democracy Activists Ignore Junta Order to Call Off March

By Khaosod Eng.

14425744711442574590l.jpg'COUP!' reads the headline of a Khaosod newspaper read by soldiers atop a tank one day after the military staged a coup against then-Prime Minster Thaksin Shinawatra in this 20 Sept., 2006, file photo.

BANGKOK — A pro-democracy group vows to go ahead with a demonstration tomorrow to mark the anniversary of the 2006 coup d’etat despite being warned to call it off by the military junta.

On the eve of the nine-year anniversary of the previous coup; which ousted then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on 19 Sept., 2006; a junta security wing reminded activists of the New Democracy Movement by letter today that the regime will not allow any activity which may affect peace and order.

The group was planning to mark the anniversary with an afternoon panel discussion at Thammasat University followed by a nighttime march to the Democracy Monument.

But the letter from the Armed Forces for Maintaining Peace and Order, obtained by Khaosod reporters, states that it has yet to receive a request from the activists to hold the event, and says the junta will only approve events that take place inside Thammasat’s campus.

The current military junta has banned any kind of protest, public gathering and political activity since it seized power from a pro-Thaksin government in May 2014, except events directly approved by the regime.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1442574471

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-18

In the 10 years I have been in Thailand, I have heard absolutely nothing from Thammasat University which I would consider to be 'pro democracy'.

They are a disgrace to the principles of education and what a university should be.

Just a very quick google found this https://www.facebook.com/anthony.cartalucci/posts/1548006848808717

Is the 'New Democracy Movement', really, 'pro-democracy', I don't know, but considering on one hand what the UDD's 'for democracy and against dictatorship' has shown to be about..., and on another hand the Shins starting to agitate their (well) paid sycophants, again, with about one new reason to every day, the, dark, skies coming down on them quite fast recently, I wouldn't bet one setang on this NDM's true democratic aspirations...

(Why 'new' democracy anyway, sounds as if there ever was anything remotely close to, an 'old' democracy in the land before, oh, but wait, how could I have missed it, of course, not knowing any better, and needing money to organise, what these guys call 'democracy' must have been the preparations for 'the new dynasty', the 'Thaksin regime', oh my then, what 'democracy' that was, NOT!)

In the 10 years I have been in Thailand, I have heard absolutely nothing from Thammasat University which I would consider to be 'pro democracy'.

They are a disgrace to the principles of education and what a university should be.

Just a very quick google found this https://www.facebook.com/anthony.cartalucci/posts/1548006848808717

Now Google Thammasat 1976 and get back to us, not that you will.

"the regime will not allow any activity which may affect peace and order" I think if the military just stays away this will not affect peace and order. Easy logic, maybe not Thai logic, but anyway logic.

Your logic...not the absence of logic of the agitated thugs the people behind it all have shown to 'mobilise' (pay for), ...to follow their logic, of a Shins' dynasty!

A link to a Facebook post that provides a link to a blog. What does that prove?

You don't think an attempt at a democracy seminar, shut down by the junta, counts as pro-democracy? http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

Dear Mr. General !

I have a very simple proposal for you to consider about voting rights:

simply make the right to vote dependent on whether or not the citizen has paid income tax, regardless of the amount.

Edited by manarak

You don't think an attempt at a democracy seminar, shut down by the junta, counts as pro-democracy? http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

So are you saying the facebook information is fake ?. Because the information is extremely relevant.

And a link to a USA news site is even worse. I'm currently reading a book by Max Hastings about the war in Korea. It goes into some detail about American policy in Asia and who they support and why. Of course the communism threat no longer exists, but the rest of it is extremely relevant and extremely interesting.

Bottom line: They will tolerate any level of corruption as long as they can be sure foreign policy will remain in the interest of the USA business. Are you familiar with the 'free trade' agreement Thaksin was trying to railroad through before he got 'found out' ?.

This is your 'democracy'. You should stop trying to pretend you know what it means.

There are always pro democracy protestors out no matter who is in power.

When the anti democrats were in power (yes, yes yingluck was elected) the protestors were out protesting yet were being silenced. Now the Junta are in power the protestors are out again yet are being silenced.

Small mercies that the Junta don't take the same heavy handed violent approach the anti democrats took when silencing protestors.

The violent tendencies of the criminal element is still fresh in the mind of Prayut I think and he is well aware that when 5 or more red shirts get together you have to hide the cigarette lighters and grenade launchers. A very wise move to disallow this rabble out on the streets.

Democracy..555..Where were these guys when the previous governments deputy PM called protestors garage and threatened that they would be "taken care of" if they continued.

Democracy Thai style,where votes are bought,and the one that spends the most wins.

regards worgeordie

Sheesh! Another one stuck in the "vote buying" fantasy world. How many reports, by well respected firms, have done their research and clearly shown that "vote buying" has absolutely zero effect on the elections? How many will it take before you brainwashed (yellow) people get it through your head?

"....the one that spends the most wins." Oh, really? Well, Korn, one of the few Democrats I actually respect, stated in a TELEVISED interview that in the last general election, the Democrats spent up to TWICE AS MUCH than PTP in trying to buy votes, and they STILL LOST! So, that kind of kills your argument, doesn't it?

Please put down those drugs and come and join the world of reality.

Democracy Thai style,where votes are bought,and the one that spends the most wins.

regards worgeordie

Sheesh! Another one stuck in the "vote buying" fantasy world. How many reports, by well respected firms, have done their research and clearly shown that "vote buying" has absolutely zero effect on the elections? How many will it take before you brainwashed (yellow) people get it through your head?

"....the one that spends the most wins." Oh, really? Well, Korn, one of the few Democrats I actually respect, stated in a TELEVISED interview that in the last general election, the Democrats spent up to TWICE AS MUCH than PTP in trying to buy votes, and they STILL LOST! So, that kind of kills your argument, doesn't it?

hahahaha Thaksin is such a fool, spending billions of Baht in vote buying even he doesn't need to do......I really don't like him, but I never thought he don't take care of his money.

Democrats spend twice as much is just ridiculous. They don't have the money. They did some highly targeted vote buying but of course they didn't do anything at the population rich areas they can't win anyway.

To summarize your posting:

i) vote buying doesn't work at all

ii) Democrats do a lot vote buying....spending their private money for nothing

iii) Thaksin spends half of the money for nothing

iv) you don't figure out that you contradict yourself

But that you respect the empty head Korn says a lot....

Now Google Thammasat 1976 and get back to us, not that you will.

He probably regards it as a mild and proportionate response to vicious provocation by a horde of bloodthirsty revolutionaries hell llbent on destroying the western world.

He doesn't even see things in black and white - everything is deepest red!

When the anti democrats were in power (yes, yes yingluck was elected) the protestors were out protesting yet were being silenced. Now the Junta are in power the protestors are out again yet are being silenced.

Small mercies that the Junta don't take the same heavy handed violent approach the anti democrats took when silencing protestors.

The violent tendencies of the criminal element is still fresh in the mind of Prayut I think and he is well aware that when 5 or more red shirts get together you have to hide the cigarette lighters and grenade launchers. A very wise move to disallow this rabble out on the streets.

Democracy..555..Where were these guys when the previous governments deputy PM called protestors garage and threatened that they would be "taken care of" if they continued.

'..when 5 or more red shirts get together you have to hide the cigarette lighters and grenade launchers.."

55555, the greatest troll in TVF history is back!clap2.gif

regards worgeordie

hahahaha Thaksin is such a fool, spending billions of Baht in vote buying even he doesn't need to do......I really don't like him, but I never thought he don't take care of his money.

Democrats spend twice as much is just ridiculous. They don't have the money. They did some highly targeted vote buying but of course they didn't do anything at the population rich areas they can't win anyway.

To summarize your posting:

i) vote buying doesn't work at all

ii) Democrats do a lot vote buying....spending their private money for nothing

iii) Thaksin spends half of the money for nothing

iv) you don't figure out that you contradict yourself

But that you respect the empty head Korn says a lot....

Maybe you should do some actual research before spouting "facts". The FACT is that in the last general election, PTP actually spent VERY LITTLE on "vote buying", while the Dems poured everything they could into it. Do a little research and you'll find I'm right. As for Korn? He makes more sense than you do, that's for sure. lol

Edited by Just1Voice

regards worgeordie

Boring, vote buying in Thailand has been dismissed long ago as being influential in the results of elections.

Even if it was the Reds that win everything are paupers compared to the so called Democrats and their elite backers.

Meanwhile, today's BP runs a headline article with selfie taking Prayuth declaring ex pat Thai protesters gearing up for demonstrations against this coup ahead of his meeting at the UN in New York, have already been labeled 'red shirts'. 'Goose' and 'gander' spring to mind.

So are you saying the facebook information is fake ?. Because the information is extremely relevant.

And a link to a USA news site is even worse. I'm currently reading a book by Max Hastings about the war in Korea. It goes into some detail about American policy in Asia and who they support and why. Of course the communism threat no longer exists, but the rest of it is extremely relevant and extremely interesting.

Bottom line: They will tolerate any level of corruption as long as they can be sure foreign policy will remain in the interest of the USA business. Are you familiar with the 'free trade' agreement Thaksin was trying to railroad through before he got 'found out' ?.

This is your 'democracy'. You should stop trying to pretend you know what it means.

In other words, your link has nothing to do with the OP, which you are trying to derail with an off-topic post giving your opinions about U.S. foreign policy.

Once again you post about a deputy PM that talked but did nothing. Why don't you praise Prayut for actually crushing dissent instead of just talking about it like the deputy PM did?

Do you realize that the term "anti-democrats" is used to describe Suthep, the Democrats, and the junta?

Once again you post about a deputy PM that talked but did nothing. Why don't you praise Prayut for actually crushing dissent instead of just talking about it like the deputy PM did?

Do you realize that the term "anti-democrats" is used to describe Suthep, the Democrats, and the junta?

It seems someone gets a bit "touchy" when reminded the previous poor excuse for a government could be just as arrogant as the present one when it comes to democratic rights.

I don't like to use that anal term "anti-democrat" as it reminds me of a former member who used to thrash that term to death, almost like he was on a bonus for each time he dropped that keyword search term.