Lite Beer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...He said market price of the pistol is over 70,000 baht included tax,.."

More BS from the BIB, unless they would be charging themselves 52,000 baht import tax. They ARE INDEED getting them at a discount of a little over 7000 baht if you don't worry about import taxes so why they have exaggerate the real value I will never understand.

70000 = $2000

18000 = $514

Chamber: 9mm (or .357 SIG, or 45ACP, or…)
Barrel: 4.7″
Capacity: Ships with 2x 17 round magazines (as allowed by law)
MSRP: $719

Reg price is over 70,000 Baht for a sig, NOT!!!! cheesy.gif but now only 18,000.

So if the BIB are buying them with their own money and are for on duty and off, and considered personal property, then will this cost the government how much?

Top wack retail price is 25,000 Baht in the US, add on the 30% import tax and that is 32,500, still less than half what they claim they are paying, it just does not add up.

i was under the impression expensive guns would be a luxury item classed along with hi powered motorcycles and such

and these are taxed at 200-250% so maybe thats how they arrived at the sum of 70,000ish

its not like theres many shootouts anjyway ,i su8ppose chinese or russian made revolvers could be got a lot cheaper in bulk

but they dont have enough secks appeal tongue.png

aussieinthailand : it will cost the govt nothing ,since the guns will be sold to offiecrs and anyone who cantt afford it outright can pay it off monthly

so it seems like a good deal

Not according to Taric, it is a 30% import duty and then the standard 7% sales tax.

Not many shootouts? There are about 20,000 gun murders per year. Thailand has the third highest rate of murder by firearms in the world at 33 per 100,000 people, only South Africa and Columbia have a higher rate.

150,000 Swiss-made Sig Sauer automatic pistols... from manufacturer in the United States.blink.png

They are made in the US, the parent company is Swiss.

Actually, to split the proverbial hairs, the parent company is Reynold's Packaging Group, owned by New Zealand billionaire investor Graeme Hart and his Rank Group.

Probably made in their New Hampshire factories.

They sold it in 2000, it is owned by the Lüke & Ortmeier Gruppe, Switzerland.

And the public have requested the general purchase 60 million bullet proof vests to protect them from the police.

The request was denied because a vest is regarded as a weapon and the peasants should have removed themselves from the line of fire. It would be unfair to the owners of these new guns to have their bullets trajectory altered by such a vest, appearing to have missed the target and causing loss of face!

Retirement present like a Gold Watch to Police Chief but here its commission of 150,000 guns + cut of the old guns thats gonna be sold to various criminals - the safety here getting worse by the day ... w00t.gif

Somyot's 'Gold Watch' will cost 2.7Billion to the taxpayers(*) whereupon a usual commission of 30% would be 810million...

Do the BiBs sitting behind a desk need any gun, and such a high-power high-capacity one anyway...?

Why had this to go outside of the official government procurement procedures?

How many companies producing guns were asked to compete and on which bases?(**)

What does 'personal use' of a gun mean for a policeman, by the way...?

Where are the odd 150,000 old ones the BiBs own supposed to go to...?

(*)the money is supposed to come back, when the BiBs finish paying their gun back, in 10 years?

(**)is kind of an informal 'poll' among BiBs to choose between a few specific pistols really the right way to do this...?

'Earlier the national police chief disclosed that representatives of Sig Sauer ... agreed to sell at only 18,000 baht apiece. He said market price of the pistol is over 70,000 baht included tax ...' Somewhat arse about face, given we are in Thailand. But then I doubt they normally sell at anywhere close to B70,000, anyway.

150,000 Swiss-made Sig Sauer automatic pistols... from manufacturer in the United States.blink.png

They are made in the US, the parent company is Swiss.

Actually, to split the proverbial hairs, the parent company is Reynold's Packaging Group, owned by New Zealand billionaire investor Graeme Hart and his Rank Group.

Probably made in their New Hampshire factories.

They sold it in 2000, it is owned by the Lüke & Ortmeier Gruppe, Switzerland.

Thank you for the update.thumbsup.gif

Lower gun prices for the police are a good thing for everyone.

To these police?

You're off your rocker.

Totally inappropriate. More salary, better training, etc.

Guns right now?

In addittion to previous observations this also smells of good ol' keepin' 'em down, like the lovely nobody fails.

Happiness Is The Opium Of The People.

Edited by Squeegee

Retirement present like a Gold Watch to Police Chief but here its commission of 150,000 guns + cut of the old guns thats gonna be sold to various criminals - the safety here getting worse by the day ... w00t.gif

Somyot's 'Gold Watch' will cost 2.7Billion to the taxpayers(*) whereupon a usual commission of 30% would be 810million...

Do the BiBs sitting behind a desk need any gun, and such a high-power high-capacity one anyway...?

Why had this to go outside of the official government procurement procedures?

How many companies producing guns were asked to compete and on which bases?(**)

What does 'personal use' of a gun mean for a policeman, by the way...?

Where are the odd 150,000 old ones the BiBs own supposed to go to...?

(*)the money is supposed to come back, when the BiBs finish paying their gun back, in 10 years?

(**)is kind of an informal 'poll' among BiBs to choose between a few specific pistols really the right way to do this...?

"What does 'personal use' of a gun mean for a policeman, by the way...?"

For sport. cheesy.gif

A good quality handgun for 18'000 Baht and people are screaming graft? blink.png

Even with taxes that's still less than the newest I-Phone, and the policemen have to pay it from their own pocket (as their motorbikes, cars, gasoline etc.).

The point that makes me shudder is the 'for official and private use', we all know the drunk policeman at 2AM with his gun, not a very reassuring sight.

Plus of course the question where all their old guns will end up.

Will be interesting to see if the US Government will issue an export license for the guns.

With all the criticism of the junta, who knows.

Are you serious? The US sells arms to Peru, Honduras, Saudi, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Djibouti, Bahrain and Algeria, for instance, why not the Thai junta? It is clear that a lack of democracy or piss poor human rights is not enough to cost an arms sale, I believe that would take a shift in politics toward the left, so little risk for Thailand.

The 70,000 baht quoted "market price" is absurd.

Manufacturer suggested retail price is around 25,000 baht ($713 USD) - outside of Thailand ....

Even with import duties and taxes, I can not understand how they get 70,000 baht ...

May be I forgot the pocket linings of the police chief .....

Go look at what guns cost at a gun store. They are ridiculously expensive in Thailand. A $500 gun in the US easily costs $2,000+ in Thailand

But this is due to kickbacks. Their are only 5 companies in Chinatown that sell guns to the police. My Indian Thai friend holds one of those licensees to be sold to police officers and they share the dosh with the Minister of Interior as they hold the license to import those guns. Most of those guns see no import duties but their has never been an audit on the police and the army, so its business as always.

Reg price is over 70,000 Baht for a sig, NOT!!!! cheesy.gif but now only 18,000.

So if the BIB are buying them with their own money and are for on duty and off, and considered personal property, then will this cost the government how much?

Top wack retail price is 25,000 Baht in the US, add on the 30% import tax and that is 32,500, still less than half what they claim they are paying, it just does not add up.

Oh but it does, very very nicely, lets face it the whole god damn country is rotten to the core.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has signed approval for the Royal Thai Police's scheme to procure over 150,000 Swiss-made Sig Sauer automatic pistols for official and personal uses by police officers.

"Official and personal uses"

I'm sure they will come in very handy indeed for their personal uses!

i was under the impression expensive guns would be a luxury item classed along with hi powered motorcycles and such

and these are taxed at 200-250% so maybe thats how they arrived at the sum of 70,000ish

its not like theres many shootouts anjyway ,i su8ppose chinese or russian made revolvers could be got a lot cheaper in bulk

aussieinthailand : it will cost the govt nothing ,since the guns will be sold to offiecrs and anyone who cantt afford it outright can pay it off monthly

Not according to Taric, it is a 30% import duty and then the standard 7% sales tax.

Not many shootouts? There are about 20,000 gun murders per year. Thailand has the third highest rate of murder by firearms in the world at 33 per 100,000 people, only South Africa and Columbia have a higher rate.

Quote: Not many shootouts? There are about 20,000 gun murders per year. Thailand has the third highest rate of murder by firearms in the world at 33 per 100,000 people, only South Africa and Columbia have a higher rate.

SCARY ! ..............but still, Thailand manages to sail under " a pacifistic, well mannered and smiling populace, where harmony and peace among them self's is their way of life" cheesy.gif

Cheers.

And a great deal for the retiring police chief. If you think it's being done without backhanders, you must be living in la la land. If it's only 300 baht/gun, that works out to 45 million baht. Better than a gold watch.

The personal use thing is a tad strange. Why do police officers need to use a gun off duty?

As much as I agree with the sentiment of you post, the answer is probably self defence, though I am not aware of a hand gun protecting a policeman from being shoot in the back by some paid hit man on the orders of someone behind bars. sad.png

The big issue is the lawlessness and people who are above the law who can ...and do get away with murder.

Seriously? Just putting more hand guns into the hands of CRIMINALS.

Would be better if the were exchanged for guns handed in to be destroyed or sold abroad.

Even better 2 for 1... two guns have to be taken out of circulation for every one issued, the cops own service weapon + another, a credit for either surrendered weapons or illegal guns taken out of circulation.