Coconut oil

foggy1

How good is the coconut oil that is sold around the island on make shift stalls. ?

I'm aware of the cold pressed virgin oils sold in Big C and the like, but is this stuff so bad ?

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated

Regards

Foggy 1

Google what the best qualities are and maybe buy the stand stuff and Big C stuff and compare. Be great to hear a report back.

Seems there are a lot of people trying to sell that, a French guy who sells wine is also flogging the coconut oil, would probably buy from a local before buying from him.

There are a number of good cold pressed virgin coconut oils, all branded in labeled bottles and normally with a sealed cap, available in various shops and pharmacies; however those I’ve seen at market stalls are (mainly) massage oils.
You can also find (probably) local coconut in unlabelled, what looks like used Red Bull (or the like) bottles with unsealed cap. It’s fairly cheap, down to 50 baht (or less) a bottle, I’ve tried it – it got rancid after a while – I don’t buy it anymore.
This is the one I normally use and buy in a little local pharmacy, 90 baht for a small bottle (had a photo), and 350 for a big bottle.
post-122720-0-69089000-1442677653_thumb.
There is a what appears to be a (very) good “Samui” coconut oil available in Maret area (Lamai) – at the temple by the beach – in a nice labeled plastic bottle with sealed cap, about double size or more of the Red Bull-style bottles, priced 100 baht. The label is Thai, but says in English “Samui Coconut Oil”, and there is a local phone number: 077-423241.
I just snapped a photo of the bottle...
post-122720-0-28844500-1442677085_thumb.

You get what you pay for.I've used the "real stuff" for 2 months following a gall bladder removal and subsequent constipation.It's been a real turn around health wise.

Pay around 600 baht a litre and you've got the real deal,this is not to be compared with coconut cooking oil which is obviously cheaper.

Its like buying cheap honey which sounds appealing as its cheap but its not real honey its basically palm sugar.

Makro ,Big C ,Rimping , Tops etc and pharmacies sell it or buy on line

Clear coconut oil is usually cold pressed. Amber colored oil is heated to separate the oil, the quality goes down with the heat. People taking coconut internally as a nutritional supplement are more concerned about this than those using it on the skin or hair. Any kind of coconut oil can go rancid, always best to smell to check. Take some good whiffs of bad oil and the smell will probably stay with you and help you identify the fainter smell later in oil just starting to go bad.

Just to clearify the temple I talked about above in post #3:

It's my GF that buys the coconut oil from the temple, so I needed to clearify her saying of "Marat, Temple by the beach" - it's actually further south at Khao Chedi in Laem Sor:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%AD/@9.4114429,99.9657248,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x3179e97e1d3df836

They both sell inside the temple and has a shop outside, they also sell big bottles of 1 liter for about 600 baht, she says.

The cheap oil I mentioned, smells a lot of coconut - so I may noy be filtered well enough or treated different - whilst the better or high quality oil hardly have any smell, just a little of coconut.

There are many articles around the Internet about all the benefits from coconut oil, both as food or dietary supplement, and as oil for skin and hair.

"There are many articles around the Internet about all the benefits from coconut oil, both as food or dietary supplement, and as oil for skin and hair." and a as lube and it's anti fungal properties... "6in1"

Probably too expensive for deep frying but maybe good for stir-fry...

Here is one of those reads found on a search, perhaps will clarify a few questions! ?wink.png

https://kelapo.com/frequently-asked-questions/

This Q & A is really a "ours is best " spiel and falls short of explaining the real benefits of consuming Coconut oil. For example, it completely misses the fact that CO contains over 40% Lauric Acid, the richest rescource naturally available. It is found in abundance in human breast milk and converts to a substance called 'Monolaurin' in the body. Maunolarun has been found to increase immunity in fighting virus and disease.

Thailand which uses very high amounts of coconut oil generally has a very low instance of heart disease, and lowest count of cancer of all the 50 countries studied by the World Health Organisation. CO is a natural Anti-bacterial, Anti-microbiol, Anti-fungicidal and anti - oxidant. It goes straight to the liver without the need of hormones or enzymes in digestion. It has been shown to help reduce Candida and Yeast in the body and helps to fight yeast infections. There are many more benefits from taking Virgin Coconut oil, just a couple of table spoons per day.

I get my Virgin Coconut Oil from a small project in the Laem Sor/Thong Krut area. They have got a stainless steel cold press machine, the oil is always quite fresh and very cheap. Yesterday i bought 3x 100 ml bottles for Bht200. ( a little over bht 60 each)They also sell other grades of oil.

Yes i know that some "turkey" will come here and say that is expensive, but i am satisfied, and know that it was produced on the spot and can even watch the process if i have the time. thumbsup.gif

Here is one of those reads found on a search, perhaps will clarify a few questions! ?wink.png

https://kelapo.com/frequently-asked-questions/

This Q & A is really a "ours is best " spiel and falls short of explaining the real benefits of consuming Coconut oil. For example, it completely misses the fact that CO contains over 40% Lauric Acid, the richest rescource naturally available. It is found in abundance in human breast milk and converts to a substance called 'Monolaurin' in the body. Maunolarun has been found to increase immunity in fighting virus and disease.

Thailand which uses very high amounts of coconut oil generally has a very low instance of heart disease, and lowest count of cancer of all the 50 countries studied by the World Health Organisation. CO is a natural Anti-bacterial, Anti-microbiol, Anti-fungicidal and anti - oxidant. It goes straight to the liver without the need of hormones or enzymes in digestion. It has been shown to help reduce Candida and Yeast in the body and helps to fight yeast infections. There are many more benefits from taking Virgin Coconut oil, just a couple of table spoons per day.

I picked the first one that came up on Google search... there are many more site with information, which might help too! tongue.png

The shop inside the Spa Resorts on the main road between chewing and lamai has good quality oil…there is also a little shack opposite the Spa Resorts that sells all sorts of natural health stuff..they have it too….but i suspect the prices are for tourists...

I buy organic virgin coconut oil from the Sunday market in Lamai. I pay 600 THB for a litre, although it comes in a plastic, rather than a glass, container.

A number of stalls sell coconut oil. Another brand is 650 THB a litre.

If you want to have a look, then next Sunday enter the Beach Road by the McDonald's sign. Walk down the left hand side of the stalls. About half way down, before you reach the crossroads (or intersection) with Walking Street, on your right, you'll see the stall.

Below is a photograph of the litre bottle to help you find the correct stall.

I think that the quality is good, but just buy a small quantity to check for yourself. Alternatively, have a look at the other stalls offering coconut oil and maybe buy from them instead. Up to you.

I take a spoonful of coconut oil as soon as I wake up in the morning, so that it is on an empty stomach and is at least one hour before I eat.

I also use it each morning to clean the toxins from my mouth. This is called "oil pulling" i.e. you're 'pulling' the toxins from your teeth, gums and tongue. If you want to try this, then before you start the first time, look at the colour of your tongue, and notice the difference a week later. Your tongue will be a much more healthy pink colour and your teeth will be whiter. Of course, progress depends on your gradually adopting a more healthy lifestyle!?

For a good article about oil pulling, click HERE.

For a good article about the health benefits of coconut oil generally, click HERE

Is oil pulling really just an urban myth? So that you can make an informed decision, this is what snipes.com says, click HERE

post-171664-0-72890900-1443090210_thumb.

Varieties of Coconut Oil

There are primarily 6 varieties of coconut oil that you will find on the market. These are pure coconut oil, refined coconut oil, organic coconut oil, virgin coconut oil, organic virgin coconut oil and extra virgin coconut oil.
Pure Coconut Oil: This oil is our most well-known old friend. It is extracted from dried coconut kernels, which are also called copra. It is crude, unrefined and without any additives. It is mainly extracted by compression of copra in a mill, either driven by bullocks or by power. However, the variety extracted by bullock driven oil mills is preferred. Pure coconut oil has multiple uses such as edible oil, massaging oil, hair oil, cosmetic usage, as well as medicinal and industrial use.
Refined Coconut Oil: This is sometimes also called the RBD coconut oil, which is an abbreviated form for refined, bleached & deodorized coconut oil. As the name suggests, this type is obtained by mechanically and chemically refining, bleaching and deodorizing the crude coconut oil, to make it thin, colorless, odorless and without any type of particle (such as proteins) suspended in it. What we then get is only pure saturated fats.
Virgin Coconut Oil: Virgin coconut oil is derived from the milk obtained from fresh coconut meat, and not from copra, by processes like fermentation, centrifugal separation and enzyme action. Care is taken to use no or as little heat as possible in the extraction of this oil. Produced in this way, the oil tastes and smells the best and is laden with antioxidants and medium chain fatty acids. It also has remarkable anti-microbial properties. This is one of the most respected and trusted varieties of coconut oil.
Organic Coconut Oil: The coconut oil that has been extracted from coconuts obtained from coconut palms raised only on organic manure and no synthetic fertilizers or insecticides. The production of organic coconut oil is also completed without involving any chemical in its extraction or processing. This is another well-respected variety of coconut oil. Organic coconut oil forms an integral part of a number of organic cosmetic products such as organic soaps, organic skin creams and lotions, organic snacks and thousands of other similar products. Some of the organic programs and authorities that certify organic coconut oil include Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS), USDA National Organic Program (NOP), European Organic Regulations (EU 2092/91), Export Certificates for Japan (JAS Equivalent), Indian National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP), Quebec Organic Reference Standard (CAAQ), Bio Suisse Standards, IOFAM Basic Standards, ECOCERT.
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: This type of oil is basically virgin coconut oil produced from the organic coconuts, in an organic way. This is perhaps the best and purest form of coconut oil one can imagine, but it is rare.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Among all the varieties of coconut oil, this is the most challenged and controversial variety, as its very existence is doubtful and the name hardly makes any sense. Furthermore, there are no set standards for virginity of coconut oil. Moreover, reputed firms and governmental bodies are still hesitant to say anything on the matter, nor are they selling it. Basically, further research is definitely required.
The properties of coconut oil do not differ much with their varieties and remain more or less the same. So, think well and make a wise decision before you decide to purchase one of the varieties.
(sic.)

Source: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/oils/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

• 4 weeks later...
Just noticed yesterday (20th Oct. 2015), that they sell local Samui cold pressed (virgin) coconut oil at Hin Lat Waterfall by Nathon – the road opposite/inland direction og Samui Immigration – the little stall on left hand side on the entrance, who also sells a selection of Aloe Vera gel...

Google map:

I found interesting cold press virgin coconut oil in Central Chaweng at the little super market on the ground floor.

I've used coconut oil for maybe ten years.

What is "also" interesting in this oil it is a saturated oil that is to say supporting better the higher temperatures in a pan.

• 3 weeks later...