Ex-drug users now getting high on life in Thailand's far Northeast

webfact

Ex-drug users now getting high on life in the far Northeast
Mary Bradley
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- AFTER spending more than three months at a state-run drug rehabilitation centre, a 30-year-old man is determined to never use drugs again.

"B" (not his real name) said he kicked his drug habit at the centre and picked up many vocational skills like vegetable growing and chicken raising.

"I still have one more week to go before I complete my drug rehabilitation programme here. But I am already determined to keep myself away from drugs, no matter how available it is in my hometown," said the former construction worker at Ban Fah Khao, a drug rehabilitation facility in Nong Khai.

Officials said while the rehabilitation programme was mandatory, it put participants in a family-like environment where coaches closely guided them.

Ban Fah Khao is the main drug rehabilitation centre in the upper Northeast. Those sent there are trained to develop soldier-like discipline, attend vocational training, and undergo psychotherapy.

Between October last year and July this year, most drug abusers sent there were new faces, not repeat abusers.

According to the authorities, the availability of illicit drugs, particularly methamphetamines (or 'yaba'), is one of the reasons many young people become drug addicts. Drug peddlers are active in many communities.

'B' said he started taking 'yaba' when he was 22 years old because his friends recommended it to him.

"I felt like the drug had eased my physical fatigue," he said. "But I ended up being arrested."

The authorities said despite serious crackdowns, the drug scourge continued. The government, therefore, decided to rehabilitate drug abusers.

"We plan to set up rehabilitation centres in all provinces. We aim to help them give up drugs and return to a normal life in society," said Office of the Narcotics Control Board deputy secretary-general Sirinya Sitdhichai. A 24-year-old man at the centre, who had been taking methamphetamine for five years, said he initially planned to run away from Ban Fah Khao.

"But after two weeks here, I feel really good. Doctors have advised me how to give up drugs," he said.

He said he was taught how to rehabilitate himself physically and how to reject offers of drugs.

"I wanted to kick drugs before but had not managed to have enough strength given all the people and the community around me [who use drugs]. But now I know how to stay clear of drugs even if I have to go back to the same old community," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ex-drug-users-now-getting-high-on-life-in-the-far--30269188.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-21

A Thai success story ,hence no comments from the usual gang .

Id hardly call it a success story already ........he hasnt even been home yet so theyre interviewing him at the end of a rehab session ?

what would you expect him to have said ??

Im going to go back to my village and locate the nearest dealer and get hhigher than a mo fo kite ? laugh.png

It would be helpful to view the actual recidivism rates...which would include those who have been through the rehab program and later either returned to it or who were sentenced to jail. If the numbers are better than the world standard, then by all means set up the rehab centers in all the provinces; but if the numbers are worse, then modify the trial program until it's working well, then do the nation-wide rollout. I do give them lots of points for trying, and wish the graduates much success in their life-long battle against addiction.

This young man has spent 3 months at the drug rehabilitation centre .

Often people are discharged after two weeks , if their blood or urine show no sign of the drug .

Who you know , who your friends are is a major factor ; people with drug taking friends risk retaking yaba as soon as they leave the rehab centre .

A couple of years in prison , one hopes , keeps them free of it to break the addiction .