Legalisation of UK marriage certificate in Thailand

Can the above be done in Thailand?

My wife and I got married in the UK earlier this year and have since returned to Thailand. She wants to get her surname changed to mine on her passport and ID card. She needs to get the marriage certificate legalised in order to do this (along with a lawyer's letter). I am aware I can get it done in the UK via the post, but was wondering if it can be done in Bangkok? Does anyone have experience/knowledge of this? I have called various agencies, but have yet to get a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance

wai2.gif

What you will be doing at an Amphoe is registering your foreign marriage.

An Amphoe will accept a self certification of the marriage certificate by way of a statement that it is true and correct at the UK embassy.

After you do the statement you will then need to have it anf your marriage certificate translated to Thai and the translations certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Most translation services can get the certification at the MFA done for you.

When you register your marriage they will issue a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry. Then change you wife's name on her ID card and her house book registry.

If you want to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage the Kor Ror 22 is one of immigration's requirements to apply for it.

• Like 1