TV anyone with experience of XBMC

iamdiggerdoug

So I have just found out about XBMC, does anyone have it and is it any good? Does having an ip address from thailand affect how it works or is there still loads of content. At present from what I have found out it is WAY to good to be true. Movies, tv series, music etc. I can't believe that this can all be for free !

Does anyone have it, so they can let me know how well it works? or doesn't !

it has been called kodi for the better part of a year now.

go to tvaddons.com, download their current version of kodi for your device.

it comes pre setup.

if you have the internet connection for it (decent speed and stability) and patience to find out what works and what doesnt its brilliant.

There is definitely a lot to learn so only suitable for people with patience its still not "plug and play"

if you want Live TV then try to find servers in Thailand ( I likeHD or expatTV ) international streams are touch and go

due to the bottleneck at Thai "international gateway"

Torrents are another way ( download to large storage device play back later ) to avoid the bad international link.

There is definitely a lot to learn so only suitable for people with patience its still not "plug and play"

Fully agree.

I would call myself somewhat experienced with PC software and networking.

But I have a hard time to follow all these instructions about Kodi.

(inconsistent with the current version, menu names not found, etc. pp.)

I have Kodi installed but given up again.

Fully agree.

it is 2015, who isn't experienced with PC and networking? Anybody under 50 grew up with computers

Kodi is an excellent bit of software, however it's useability in Thailand seems to be somewhat restricted by international internet speeds for streaming video content. This is especially true on weekends in my experience.

For people into torrenting, it is ideal for indexing and cataloging your TV and movie collection.

As it is completely free, don't expect it to be trouble free and 100% reliable.

Some people swear by it, others swear at it.

I'm amazed by it. I only recently installed it and it is my media player for all my videos whether on a local drive or streaming. What has really surprised me is that I can stream a movie at 1080p resolution without buffering. I installed the TVaddons preconfigured version. Lots of YouTube tutorials available on it.

I've been using Kodi or XBMC for a a few years firstly on an original Xbox and now on a Raspberry PI ( and PC )

I wouldn't say it was "simple" to set up with the things you want how you want them.

for me I wanted ( for free ) UK Live Tv with EPG and Movie and TV series library with artwork stored locally on my NAS

took quite some time to get running and still not perfect.

There are so many simple versions available, like TVMC, and step by step guides (including videos), that I really can't understand why people call this difficult.

But if you want the benefits of streams without the complexity, buy one of the dedicated boxes like the AVOV TVOnline and buy a Stalker "Donation".

It has the added advantage of coming with a couple of apps that provide free access to a lot of content not in Stalker.

It has a really simple interface, too.

and costs about $100 for the box and $80 a year for Stalker (for now).

Forum rules prevent ads, but if you want a link to the site where I bought mine, just PM me.

You need to play about for a while.. biggest problem is not understanding or following the instructions 100%

been using it a while, on the laptop is Kodi 13.2, on the Android TV box is Kodi 14.2 and from this past weekend know have installed the new Kodi 15 on my PC..

It could be just me, but had no end of problems trying to set it up on the android TV box.... what I have done is added a folder on my PC so all the Repo Zip files have added to this folder, know it is very simple... + is easy to simply delete what you don't want or add another..... yesterday added the Streamstorm = simple and up and running fine on all 3 platforms.

maybe 1st before installing Kodi go somewhere like http://www.filmon.com/tv/tv-gold

just a test and see how the TV works where you are........ if you install Kodi then addon 'Phoenix' has this but all FREE

Fully agree.

it is 2015, who isn't experienced with PC and networking? Anybody under 50 grew up with computers

It is 2015 and maybe he is over 50?

You need to play about for a while.. biggest problem is not understanding or following the instructions 100%

been using it a while, on the laptop is Kodi 13.2, on the Android TV box is Kodi 14.2 and from this past weekend know have installed the new Kodi 15 on my PC..

It could be just me, but had no end of problems trying to set it up on the android TV box.... what I have done is added a folder on my PC so all the Repo Zip files have added to this folder, know it is very simple... + is easy to simply delete what you don't want or add another..... yesterday added the Streamstorm = simple and up and running fine on all 3 platforms.

maybe 1st before installing Kodi go somewhere like http://www.filmon.com/tv/tv-gold

just a test and see how the TV works where you are........ if you install Kodi then addon 'Phoenix' has this but all FREE

So how is your Streamstorm going?

I installed I think just over 1 week and it has worked fine on the 1st day only. Ever since it has had messages like server down - new servers up now - updating all - installing new servers etc, but at the end it was functional for 1 day in total.

I installed I think just over 1 week and it has worked fine on the 1st day only. Ever since it has had messages like server down - new servers up now - updating all - installing new servers etc, but at the end it was functional for 1 day in total.

Just checked, tried 4 different channels 2 in SD and 2 in HD all worked fine....

and yes says installing new servers updating all please be patient ...... just clicked on them anyway and work fine in Ent: News and Sport

Just checked, tried 4 different channels 2 in SD and 2 in HD all worked fine....

and yes says installing new servers updating all please be patient ...... just clicked on them anyway and work fine in Ent: News and Sport

Yes most of the channels listed working, though Big ten network shows a screensaver, and all the interesting channels that were available first day gone.

Skysports -Astro sports - BT sports - Nbc sports, all gone.

Yes most of the channels listed working, though Big ten network shows a screensaver, and all the interesting channels that were available first day gone.

Skysports -Astro sports - BT sports - Nbc sports, all gone.

Yes not like Stalker which had them, watching on Streamstorm at moment LIVE super V8's Super Cheap Bathurst 1000

Yes not like Stalker which had them, watching on Streamstorm at moment LIVE super V8's Super Cheap Bathurst 1000

Stalker still has a lot of them. Watch it by donation or free using the SuperFavorites addon method. I find live sports still buffers too much with them, but otherwise not bad.

Care to elaborate what the SuperFavorites method is, because SuperFavorites doesn't install any addons.

I don't use SuperFavorites myself, but this is a good explanation of how to use it.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-add-super-favourites-to-xbmc-kodi/

Thanks for the link but it just confirmed my understanding that SuperFavorites is an addon to organize your favorite addons, but I still fail to see how that could make a paid IPTV addon accessible for free.

Fully agree.

It is 2015 and maybe he is over 50?

yes, your grasp of the obvious is firm.

it would seem then that "somewhat experienced" doesn't amount to much.

I don't use SuperFavorites myself, but this is a good explanation of how to use it.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-add-super-favourites-to-xbmc-kodi/

Thanks for the link but it just confirmed my understanding that SuperFavorites is an addon to organize your favorite addons, but I still fail to see how that could make a paid IPTV addon accessible for free.

Superfavorites is a workaround if you haven't previously got your own Kodi favorites stored from a previous working Stalker. Check out:

Youtube for explanation and links.

You also need to stop Stalker updating - by turning off updates, a nuisance for some, but no choice if freeloading.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I have KODI it is a life saver from the wifes Tv in the evening, I have the addon Genesis it seems to be the best one for

movies and tv shows hundreds of box sets probably 1000s, Don't know where your from but cant pick up much UK sport ie

football, but shed load of American sports, Would love someone to tell me a good site for Uk sport, but tried load and none

good