Extension based on Marriage - Bad Report from CW!

Hey,

I just got back from CW Immigration. I got an initial 60day stamp based on having a thai wife.

Went with all my docs, bank book etc to get a 90 day extension.

Despite having all the paperwork I only got 60 days!

Even the Officers were confused on what the rules are, so its pretty much unpredictable.

Just to let you guys know, I had all papers in order, pictures, rental contract, bank book.. all the bells and whistles but still only got 60 instead of 90 days.

There is no 90 day extension based on having a Thai wife, only 60 days or one year (the latter with financial requirements). Were you looking to convert to a non Immigrant visa entry?

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Sorry I meant the one year extension, where you have to do 90 day reports. I had the financial requirements.

So, what exactly did you ask for at CW, an extension of 90 days or one year? And are you currently here in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry?

Edit: I just read one of your earlier topics where you say you are here on a Non Immigrant entry of 60 days. But that doesn't make sense, if you are here on a Non Immigrant visa you would have gotten 90 days - not 60.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 2

Here is my checklist for one year extension of stay based on marriage.

Paperwork:

1. Two application forms T.M. 7 with two photographs size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht
2. Copy Marriage Certificate
3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office, marriage registry (not older than six months, even if marriage certificate is under 6 months old)
4. Child's birth certificate (if any)
5. Copy wife’s house registration (first page showing address and the page showing her details)
6. Copy wife’s identity card
7. Copy passport (all pages with stamps), non-Im visa, arrival card.
8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife
9. Map to residency (names of roads and house marked in Thai and GPS coordinates)
10. 3 Pictures, one showing you outside the house with wife and house number visible, One in bedroom, One showing time relaxing.
11. Copy house book from residence (signed by owner and a signed copy of their ID Card, as this may not be the wife in some cases) or rental contract.
12: Copy of the letter from the MFA showing you were able to marry

With money in bank option.
1. Letters from your bank same day or day before stating bank records, and a transaction list for the past two months.
2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.
3. Letter from bank must show transaction during previous two months.

With Income in Thailand option
1. A copy of work permit (All stamped pages)
2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt (PND.91) with receipt showing it has been paid
3: Copy of Company documents stamped and signed, Documents must be under 6 months old.
4: Letter of employment, stating location of employment, role and renumeration.

With Income from abroad.
1. Embassy letter stating your income.

All of the above in two copies, if not in BKK

Sorry I meant the one year extension, where you have to do 90 day reports. I had the financial requirements.

So, what exactly did you ask for at CW, an extension of 90 days or one year? And are you currently here in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry?

Sophon

Converted Non-B to Non-O based on marriage and got 60 days. Went for the 1 year extension today with all the proper paper work and got a 60 day stamp and was told to come back in 60 days.

They obviously weren't sure what to do.

I assume you had a 90 day entry from a non-o visa.

Are you sure you did not get an under consideration stamp with a report back date that is 60 days from today.

Like I said, I was on a B visa, converted it at CW after the marriage to a non-O and got another 60 days stamped in my passport.

Today I tried to get the 1 year extension and 60 days instead of 1 year.

Sophon

Converted Non-B to Non-O based on marriage and got 60 days. Went for the 1 year extension today with all the proper paper work and got a 60 day stamp and was told to come back in 60 days.

If you now have a stay based on a Non 'O' you should still be able to apply for a 1 year extension within the last 30 days of the current 60 day extension.

I was writing my post when you mentioned the non-b.

You cannot get two 60 day extensions in a row. Look at your stamp again to see what it says.

He did a conversion so would have been given 90 days. So this would be the first 60 day extension based on being married.

The conversion gave you 90 days, not 60.

As UbonJoe said you can not get two 60 day extensions.

Did they give any reason why they only gave 60 days, can you ask your wife.

They might have told her something in Thai.

You did not change from a non-b to a non-o.at immigration.

You apparently left the country and got a 30 day visa exempt entry that you then converted to a 90 day non-o visa entry. You then called it a 60 day extension because you got 60 days more than your 30 day entry.

You need to find out why your extension was denied. You can apply again during the last 30 days of the 60 day extension.

• Like 1

The conversion gave you 90 days, not 60.

As UbonJoe said you can not get two 60 day extensions.

Did they give any reason why they only gave 60 days, can you ask your wife.

They might have told her something in Thai.

They know what they are doing. They gave you 90 days and told you to come back after 60days. In my case they told me it was so they could check that the required minimum funds were still in the bank after a further 2 months. In another case it was so that they could visit the applicants home and check that he actually lived there with his wife.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 2

Previously I used to get back to back 60-day extensions on my 1 yr non 'o' based on marriage (no 400k in the bank). Went the other day and was refused, despite always being told "no problem, you can extend as many times as you like". Of course, when I pointed out two immigration officers who'd given me the stamps before, all were blank faced. Now, apparently, the rule is only one 60-day extension per 1 yr visa.

Previously I used to get back to back 60-day extensions on my 1 yr non 'o' based on marriage (no 400k in the bank). Went the other day and was refused, despite always being told "no problem, you can extend as many times as you like". Of course, when I pointed out two immigration officers who'd given me the stamps before, all were blank faced. Now, apparently, the rule is only one 60-day extension per 1 yr visa.

You can only get one 60 day extension per entry.

You can get as many as you want as long as you leave the country and get new entry between them.

You apparently left the country and got a 30 day visa exempt entry that you then converted to a 90 day non-o visa entry. You then called it a 60 day extension because you got 60 days more than your 30 day entry.

You need to find out why your extension was denied. You can apply again during the last 30 days of the 60 day extension.

I do not see where he left the country and came back in on a 30 day visa exempt. As he said.. He went to CW and they evidently issued him with a Non-O Thai Wife permission to stay for 90 days and then extended it by 60 days when he went back expecting a 1 year extension. The stamp in the passport is issued by CW and is the same as I got when I converted from visa exempt 30 day permission to stay to a Non-O based on Retirement. Mine actually has written on it Non-RE.

You can get as many as you want as long as you leave the country and get new entry between them.

The boss said no. She said one per visa, regardless of whether I went out the country and came back in in between. Do you know where on the immigration website the rules about this are stated, just so I have them to refer to if I do extend next time.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I got lucky previously with back to back extensions.

The boss said no. She said one per visa, regardless of whether I went out the country and came back in in between. Do you know where on the immigration website the rules about this are stated, just so I have them to refer to if I do extend next time.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I got lucky previously with back to back extensions.

See clause 2.24 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

This is all very confusing for me. What or where is CW? I used to have extension of stay based on marriage and when I made the application I was always told to return a month later when the year's extension of stay was issued. I understood that the application had to be approved in Bangkok hence the one month gap. Once I had the extension of stay, with a multiple entry visa I could come and go as I pleased. Every time I came back to Thailand the inward date stamp was always the same as the expiry date of the extension of stay. Maybe I am missing something but why all the questions about 60 and 90 day extensions or whatever?

See clause 2.24 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

Thanks, but this doesn't clarify how many times you can extend on one Non Imm O. It doesn't state that you can extend once for 60 days, then go out and come back in, get a 3 month stay, and then extend again for 60 days after those 3 months. I think this is why different officers offer different interpretations.

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality: Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days. (1) There must be proof of relationship. (2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

Thats exactly the case. I forgot that I actually went outside the country to cancel my old visa, returned and converted it.

Now I am still not sure why the 90 day card on the left is stamped exactly 90 days but the stamp on the right says 60 days.

Total confusion.

The card on the left is the date you need to do your first report of staying longer than 90 days. It has nothing to with how long you can stay in the country.

You need to find out why they only gave you a 60 day extension.

Perhaps you were missing something they wanted but since you did it on the last day of your permit to stay they gave you the 60 days since there would be no time left to get it and return before you went on overstay.