Have I turned into a Chiang Mai snob?

Chiengmaijoe

I'm from working-class council estate England yet despite my background I occasionally find myself looking down on some of my fellow expats! Have I, despite my humble background, somehow turned into a snob? If it is something to do with my age then so be it, but I can't help but feel embarrassed when I'm sometimes out and about and see a fellow expat so slovenly dressed. I was at the dental hospital today and as you might expect, when you walk in everyone is properly dressed and the staff are very polite and respectful.

I sat down to wait for my doctor and then looked across to see an expat, probably 50 y.o or so (not that much younger than me) slouching on the couch opposite wearing a vest and cheap shorts with hairy armpits on full display. I wasn't sure if he was waiting for treatment or waiting for a friend receiving treatment as he was gone when I was finished, but either way, is this appropriate dress for a visit to a hospital? I always think of doctors as being someone to respect and in my eyes dressing so slovenly shows a lack of respect.

As I said, I imagine it's just me getting old, but a part of me is hoping that it isn't. Maybe I've just been here too long.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please post a photo of yourself in your proper dress.

Sorry, I don't do selfies and I don't wear dresses. Besides, what starts off as 'can I see you in your proper dress', soon becomes 'can I see you in your casual wear' then 'what do you wear in bed' and invariably ends up with 'can you post me your underwear'. I fell for that one a few times already.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Council estate fodder come snob ha ha good one.

That's what I thought! Both my parents worked in a factory but never looked as slovenly as some of the supposedly wealthy retirees here. Rummy isn't it? I think it was the hairy armpits that did it for me.

I do know where your coming from in fairness I've seen it first hand myself,not where you are but it is cringeworthy nonetheless Edited by stoneyboy

Sorry, I don't do selfies and I don't wear dresses. Besides, what starts off as 'can I see you in your proper dress', soon becomes 'can I see you in your casual wear' then 'what do you wear in bed' and invariably ends up with 'can you post me your underwear'. I fell for that one a few times already.

You did quote in the OP 'properly dressed' and now you're off on a tangent. Oh, well.

I smell a troll.

Most of the expats in Thailand are former corporate CEO's. They are accustomed to being chauffeured in a limo while wearing a top hat and tails.

Having reached the pinnacle of life's success they had no other new mountain to climb other than retire to a third world country and drink Chang outside of a 7-11. They got tired of having so many Hi So friends in their former lives that now they just want to be left alone mostly.

The singlet and hairy armpits are the deliberate disguise to keep you from guessing just how important they are.

I don't think there's any relationship between being brought up on a council estate, having working class parents and having decent levels of dress and behavioral sense. If you look around Chiang Mai on any day you'll see at least a handful of westerners who seem to be inappropriately dressed, compared to their surroundings, maybe they behave and dress the same way back home and think that because of that, it's acceptable here, dunno.

It's a cultural thing. Much as with traditional Balinese culture, where slipping naked into a bathing pool made one "invisible", a certain percentage of farang, when slipping into Chiang Mai, perceive themselves as appropriately dressed anywhere at any time in a combination of singlets, shorts, and socks. Fortunately they tend not to bathe in the klongs, in which case we might all need doctors.

Please post a photo of yourself in your proper dress.

3aa.jpg

Why are you so worked up about how *OTHER* people dress? Do you have full knowledge of his circumstances? Perhaps he was a tourist who had his luggage lost by the airlines, and had to quickly buy something to wear temporarily from the night bazaar...

The reason I personally moved here, was to escape the rat-race business culture of DC. I enjoy being able to dress down and not wear a shirt and tie all day. So what if I go to the dentist wearing shorts, here in this hot tropical climate?!? It's a dentist visit... Not a business meeting. Not a uppity night club.

In this case, I don't think "snob" is the correct word. I think "self-centered, judgmental prick" would be much more appropriate.

....and now it's time to put on my shorts, ball cap, flip-flops and head to the office.

-Mestizo

What is it with expats expecting other expats to dress up to the same standards they do. I wear the same clothes where ever I go. Shorts sandals and a shirt. I have yet to have a problem with doctors Dentists or immigration. I have had no need to see people in the legal profession but I would dress the same for them. Well maybe for them I would put on my Bob Marley shirt.

The big question is why does the expat come to Thailand and not try to fit in with the Thais dress by wearing the same clothes as the mountain tribes?

I wouldn't say it was exclusive to Chiang Mai (even though 'expats' there do seem to think they are the best in Thailand), however you do fit a model which can be found in expat communities the world over.

Bloke from modest humble background

Suddenly propelled to levels of society/respect/financial power he has never experienced before

Shacks up with a lass 20/30 years his junior.

The three above factors combine to bring delusions of self importance way above their station to make said bloke think he is the 'Lord Mayor of expatdom' in his local area who must dictate standards of dress/behaviour/lifestyle to others via an online forum.

Some pillock who thought he was 'Lord Expat' of Hua Hin once told me 'I was 'letting the side down' for being a scruffy bugger until I pointed out a few home truths to him which made him scuttle off tail betwixt legs....

You did quote in the OP 'properly dressed' and now you're off on a tangent. Oh, well.

I smell a troll.

A witty reply to a daft question invariably results in a response such as yours. It's something to do with being humourless, I believe.

I wouldn't say it was exclusive to Chiang Mai (even though 'expats' there do seem to think they are the best in Thailand), however you do fit a model which can be found in expat communities the world over.

Bloke from modest humble background

Suddenly propelled to levels of society/respect/financial power he has never experienced before

Shacks up with a lass 20/30 years his junior.

The three above factors combine to bring delusions of self importance way above their station to make said bloke think he is the 'Lord Mayor of expatdom' in his local area who must dictate standards of dress/behaviour/lifestyle to others via an online forum.

Some pillock who thought he was 'Lord Expat' of Hua Hin once told me 'I was 'letting the side down' for being a scruffy bugger until I pointed out a few home truths to him which made him scuttle off tail betwixt legs....

Other than the fact that I haven't been propelled to a new level of respect and financial power, and my wife is just 2/3 years younger than me you are spot on, especially about me being from a modest background, but then again I told you that.

The fact that I am questioning by beliefs, debating the point , and almost mocking myself also suggest that I'm not delusional about my self importance or dictating standards of dress or behaviour. Other than that ...... a Brilliant response.

I can see why you chose that particular name but I wonder if you can perhaps see the irony in accusing me of thinking I'm the Lord Mayor.

Joe,sometimes its best to say nowt.

regards Worgeordie

I didn't say anything to the hairy-armpitted one, but I may just possibly have given a disapproving sideways glance.

I'm beginning to suspect that my parents may be at fault. I'm not sure if I ever saw my father's armpits even if he was fixing the car or digging the garden.

Actually, he was the one supervising any manual labour around the house so that is probably why. I remember my mother and I , (a skinny 12 year old) creating a garden from scratch in our newly built council home. We had to remove some massive boulders and wheel heavy barrrow-loads of soil about the place. My Dad would be standing with a cigarette in one hand and a cup of tea in the other saying "If you need a hand there girl, let me know". Not much need to remove your shirt under those circumstances, I suppose.

I generally wear shorts, sandals & T shirt except if going out to dinner, so guess I am a slob. I came here from a hot climate and Thailand is also hot, so I dress for comfort.

In fact our Thai neighbours didn't speak to us for about a year, then they found out that I wasn't actually destitute after all. Now can't shut them up.