Have I turned into a Chiang Mai snob?

Chiengmaijoe

I wouldn't say it was exclusive to Chiang Mai (even though 'expats' there do seem to think they are the best in Thailand), however you do fit a model which can be found in expat communities the world over.

Bloke from modest humble background

Suddenly propelled to levels of society/respect/financial power he has never experienced before

Shacks up with a lass 20/30 years his junior.

The three above factors combine to bring delusions of self importance way above their station to make said bloke think he is the 'Lord Mayor of expatdom' in his local area who must dictate standards of dress/behaviour/lifestyle to others via an online forum.

Some pillock who thought he was 'Lord Expat' of Hua Hin once told me 'I was 'letting the side down' for being a scruffy bugger until I pointed out a few home truths to him which made him scuttle off tail betwixt legs....

'expats' there do seem to think they are the best in Thailand" - maybe not the absolute best but we are exceedingly good and very special. laugh.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe,sometimes its best to say nowt.

regards Worgeordie

I didn't say anything to the hairy-armpitted one, but I may just possibly have given a disapproving sideways glance.

I'm beginning to suspect that my parents may be at fault. I'm not sure if I ever saw my father's armpits even if he was fixing the car or digging the garden.

Actually, he was the one supervising any manual labour around the house so that is probably why. I remember my mother and I , (a skinny 12 year old) creating a garden from scratch in our newly built council home. We had to remove some massive boulders and wheel heavy barrrow-loads of soil about the place. My Dad would be standing with a cigarette in one hand and a cup of tea in the other saying "If you need a hand there girl, let me know". Not much need to remove your shirt under those circumstances, I suppose.

It's always the parents fault. That's why the psychological term, 'family of origin', was coined.

Now you're supposed to beat your mother to death and blame it on your father, so you can reduce your prison sentence.

A lot of people don't really plan on going to a hospital. However, this kind of dress is common with the Euro-Trash. The tank tops almost never look appropriate. There is a very small element of expats that would fit the description of "dirty people" or "gypsies" in the US, many are often heroin addicts and that is all they care about. Good western clothes are expensive here, however you can get some wearable stuff, that is a couple of steps above circus pants pretty cheap. I saw camouflage shorts for 79 THB near ICON, yesterday. Seems appropriate with a military government.

A lot of people don't really plan on going to a hospital. However, this kind of dress is common with the Euro-Trash. The tank tops almost never look appropriate. There is a very small element of expats that would fit the description of "dirty people" or "gypsies" in the US, many are often heroin addicts and that is all they care about. Good western clothes are expensive here, however you can get some wearable stuff, that is a couple of steps above circus pants pretty cheap. I saw camouflage shorts for 79 THB near ICON, yesterday. Seems appropriate with a military government.

Well Joe as you said you were not propelled to it. You just took a while to get to it. as you can see from the above post you are not alone.

The camouflage couldn't have been much good if you saw them. wink.png

Well Joe as you said you were not propelled to it. You just took a while to get to it. as you can see from the above post you are not alone.

I'm not exactly proposing collar and tie, but I do think covering your smelly armpits in public is a minimum. Bare-knuckle fighting with itinerants, operating pneumatic drills and other road-digging equipment, as well as erecting circus tents and fair-ground attractions, are sometimes seen as an exception, but other than that, hairy armpits shouldn't be seen or, ideally, smelt in public. That includes women too.

Wearing the tacky clothes is one thing, but walking down the street with an open bottle of beer in your hand is the ultimate in classlessness. And is probably illegal here, although seemingly un-enforced.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm slightly surprised that the prohibitionists in the current regime haven't picked up on that one. If innocent schoolkids aren't supposed to even walk past a place selling alcohol, what must they think when they see it being consumed in public, 2pm-5pm or otherwise?

I only drink alcohol at home or in a bar/restaurant and, for no particular reason, never feel like drinking while I'm walking the streets. So although I never do it myself I'm not particularly bothered that others do, it's just that I can't relate to it. It is banned in plenty of countries though, so I am, as I said, surprised that it hasn't been picked up on here.

Along Ratchawithee after midnight I would say that most of the young people heading towards Spicey from Zoey are carrying a large open bottle of Chang or holding a small bucket (presumably to save being sick in the street, which is actually quite considerate). Some of them are wearing vests too.

I'm not exactly proposing collar and tie, but I do think covering your smelly armpits in public is a minimum. Bare-knuckle fighting with itinerants, operating pneumatic drills and other road-digging equipment, as well as erecting circus tents and fair-ground attractions, are sometimes seen as an exception, but other than that, hairy armpits shouldn't be seen or, ideally, smelt in public. That includes women too.

I agree with you on the hairy arm pits. I believe women shave them for the most part before wearing clothes that would expose them. But Thailand does attract people who have worked construction all their life and never had a problem with it. I am one of those however I wear short sleeved shirts lovingly stitched by my loving wife.

Bottom line is I don't like it but I can not make a judgment on some one based on one point I don't like.

Most of the expats in Thailand are former corporate CEO's. They are accustomed to being chauffeured in a limo while wearing a top hat and tails.

My own research indicates about half of the expats here are former CEO's and the other half are ex special forces or commando's (bit like myself really)! Chewed up, spat out and forced into hiding by their respective governments, they fled to Thailand so hence the chip on their shoulders.

After chatting with punters at various expat bars around town/ Loy Kroh, I think the SAS is the worlds largest regiment!!!

Despite what one wears here is no reason a person cannot control themselves if they have a mind to do so, unless shell-suits and singlets can somehow animate a latent tendency for boorishness.

A strict crackdown on "mankinis" however in Newquay has been linked to reductions in anti-social behaviours.

https://www.rt.com/uk/262741-mankini-crime-newquay-report/

post-84769-0-82059100-1443001614_thumb.j

Despite what one wears here is no reason a person cannot control themselves if they have a mind to do so, unless shell-suits and singlets can somehow animate a latent tendency for boorishness.

A strict crackdown on "mankinis" however in Newquay has been linked to reductions in anti-social behaviours.

https://www.rt.com/uk/262741-mankini-crime-newquay-report/

It must be quite cold there by the looks of things biggrin.png

regards Worgeordie

Wearing the tacky clothes is one thing, but walking down the street with an open bottle of beer in your hand is the ultimate in classlessness. And is probably illegal here, although seemingly un-enforced.

I suppose driving with one is more classy?

Mankinis!! Gosh, what have I been missing !!

What is generally missing too often in this and other TV conversations over the years about "appropriate dress" is a sense of place and the company you keep. If you want to strip to a jock strap in the VIP room of a karaoke joint, go for it. The girls will no doubt be thrilled. If you want to wear a singlet and scruffy shorts around the house, be comfortable. If you like hanging out with drunken teenagers late at night, join in (with your own bucket to puke in!) Don't wear a three-piece suit when going for a soapy massage! But if you are generally out and about on business in Thailand, guys, take a look around to see how grown-up men dress --- agricultural and construction workers, and males over school-uniform age excepted. Nobody wants to cramp your style, but when in Rome...

Oh! And a shave and a shower DO mean something around here in polite company.

Why is it that so many farang travel so far to get here to fly the bird at local custom ?!

Edited by Mapguy

The OP makes a valid point....The last several years has brought about a steady decline in expat dress - not sure the cause....

It's possible many think the 50+ grubby aging backpacker look is suddenly chic....Or a different class of people have decided to add CM as their place to be.....CM used to be "cleaner" looking in regards to expats.....

Now it's more common to see what I would expect in Pattaya or Angeles PI → slovenly/dirty looking sorts.....I just shake my head and wonder if they can see themselves in the mirror - but obviously they can.....

Also in that same period the behavior of people in immigration became less friendly and more surly/aggressive....

CM used to be a place where most people came to settle.....Now the crowd looks more unsettled.....

when a place is labeled, "one of the cheapest destinations in thailand" it will attract the lowest of the low. all backpackers who could care less about culture. the transients that are trying to hide from the rest of the world. outcasts labeled leapers in their home country....

i have a tattoo of my elite visa on my forehead..... i will show those peasants!!

It's usually the middle-class who care about status because they're jealous of rich people. Rich people and poor people don't care what others think of them.

I can tell you why I wear what I want and don't shave unless I have to: years in the air force having to iron dress shirts and trousers every day + getting sent to the hairdressers because someone thinks my hair is too long + getting charged if you don't shave perfectly lol

And there are lots of ex sas in Thailand, so maybe they feel the same way as me.

It can't be that your old because I don't care what the younger crowd wear.

It's usually the middle-class who care about status because they're jealous of rich people. Rich people and poor people don't care what others think of them.

I can tell you why I wear what I want and don't shave unless I have to: years in the air force having to iron dress shirts and trousers every day + getting sent to the hairdressers because someone thinks my hair is too long + getting charged if you don't shave perfectly lol

And there are lots of ex sas in Thailand, so maybe they feel the same way as me.

It can't be that your old because I don't care what the younger crowd wear.

I call BS and ignorance on this statment.....Many of us had to wear suits to the workplace.....It's not a matter of what you had to wear before - even as a follower in a military service.....Sounds more like you were treated like a child if true.....But saying the very rich or the poor slobs don't care???? Ignorant.....I've known both and people from all extremes and find your rationalization incorrect.....

It's easier to not care when your young.

Many foreigners 'let themselves go' over here as we all know. Or they were 'never there' in the first place.

It's pretty natural to detest someone with hairy pits, bo or unruly pubes. When your young it's just easier to laugh it off. Try getting back into the mindset of being younger and see it through the eyes of a teenager and you'll get a kick of how much better you feel.

I actually shave my pits and pubes, legs and whole body below the neck regularly with my electric shaver. I also shave my crack using a mirror and nose and ear hair, balls the whole enchilada. 'm completely smooth afterwards. I did have some problems nicking my balls even with the face shaver so you really need to be careful down there. Never use a blade razor.

I feel cleaner, younger and more attractive this way. When i see dudes or ladies with hairy legs, backs and arm hair i always say to myself why don't they shave that crap off already? Why do they want to look like a lower animal rather then a human?

I guess some people just like the 'ape' look. I'm a 'chimp'

Edited by fey