Police checks asking farangs for license and passport in Hua Hin town centre

pinkpanther99

Just a heads up, on the way to work today, there were police pulling people over near soi 65. They stopped loads of farangs and were asking for driving license AND passport with valid visa.

Fortunately I keep my license in my wallet and a photo copy of my passport photo page in the car, although I actually didn't have a copy of visa. I did happen to have my work permit on me.

They were also asking me my address, how long I've been in Thailand and where i was going etc.

It all seemed a bit over the top and much more than the usual stops for tea money.

Anyone else get stopped this morning?

Typical dirty rat scumbag thai police.

You have no obligation to answer any questions relating to your address (immigration already have that on file), how long you have been in thailand (not that it's their business but immigration have the answers to that one as well) or where you are going. (This last one is bizzare questioning. Are they planning on following you?)

The police have legal authority to verify your identity and/or to arrest you if on suspicion of a crime. That's it.

I told my wife I'm happy to leave if this crap continues. She can follow or stay. I'm about fed up. If Thailand thinks it has a problem, they should look at the EU. Oh I forgot. There is nothing beyond the borders of the Amazing Prateet Thai. Right now I'm telling people I know not to come. Find a country that treats tourists and expats as assets to their GDP, which we are.

You have no obligation to answer any questions relating to your address (immigration already have that on file), how long you have been in thailand (not that it's their business but immigration have the answers to that one as well) or where you are going. (This last one is bizzare questioning. Are they planning on following you?)

The police have legal authority to verify your identity and/or to arrest you if on suspicion of a crime. That's it.

Why wouldn't you answer these perfectly innocuous questions? If you have a Thai driving licence, your addess is shown on it.

Alan

I told my wife I'm happy to leave if this crap continues. She can follow or stay. I'm about fed up. If Thailand thinks it has a problem, they should look at the EU. Oh I forgot. There is nothing beyond the borders of the Amazing Prateet Thai. Right now I'm telling people I know not to come. Find a country that treats tourists and expats as assets to their GDP, which we are.

Good bye and good luck with your next country whistling.gif

Thai's have to carry their ID with then at all times.

It's not unfair that foreigners have to also carry 'government issued' photo ID i.e. their Passports, which also shows their immigration status.

No, we don't like it, but the regulation is understandable for anyone with a sense of balance. The BiB for the most part are even good enough to let us get away with our Thai Driving licence most of the time, or a Photo copy of our Passport and Visa Pages.

In light of the recent issues with the Bangkok Bombing and criticism of Thai Immigration is only natural that they would step up checks. If you see the roads down to Hua Hun they have been checking Vans and Pickups for years, foreigners generally get waved through.

IF you have nothing to hide what is the issue with Carrying ID ? (Photo Copy of Passport and Visa Pages).

Perhaps a great idea would be for Thai Immigration to Introduce an ID card for anyone staying on anything other than a Visa Exempt Stamp or Tourist Visa - Something the size of a credit card which fits easily in the Wallet and linked to their National Immigration Data base.

Some people get way to hung up about minor issues, this is hardly the Harassment of Foreigners experienced up until last year by the Thonglor BiB Pillion Riders.

If they do stop you please tell them all this won't you and let us know how you get on laugh.png

Thai people have to show ID, so why not ex pats. However after living there & experiencing "shake downs" I do appreciate not being asked for $$$ for personal use when I'm pulled over for speeding

Always amazes me when people come out with this, you have a choice, pay the tea money or go and pay the fine at the Police Station, if you choose the former you are encouraging them to do it to other people

I believe that the law does give them the right to ask for formal id. Be that a Thai "smart card" or a passport.And same applies in many western countries.

best to be on the safe side , carry your license, color copy of your passport, Visa Page and departure card, copy of your residential contract.

Ah, the relaxed lifestyle of Thailand. And don't forget to register your phone with your passport, be sure to disclose your foreign, criminal arse every 90 days and don't say anything on the internet the junta don't want to hear.

Where will you go? The UK is one of the few countries that I know that doesn't require people to carry a photo ID with them at all times. Here in the Netherlands an ID is compulsory as is basic medical insurance and being registered at your place of residence, and if you get stopped by the police the first thing they want is your ID

in an accident automatic breathalyser, no ID about 90 euro fine, and if you don't pay and the check you when you leave the country you have to pay before you can leave.

You are very negative ...

... And don't forget to register your phone with your passport

I did it 2 times with my Thai driving licence, not asked for passport

Edited by Aforek

You are very negative ...

... And don't forget to register your phone with your passport

I did it 2 times with my Thai driving licence, not asked for passport

your passport number in on your Thai drivers license. that is the number they use.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the cops in town I worry about, especially if you have a Thai License, they just say ok go, but it is the special cops that are sometimes on the road from Petchakasem Rd., to Lakeview, or Springfield golf courses, that stop you and ask you to piss in a cup, (and you are clean) but then they come back and say you are positive for drugs, and want money, lets go to ATM. These are the SOB's to worry about.

Edited by Pundi6446