TOT & ASUS DSL-AC68U

sciack

Hello,

I am a bit desperate with this router/modem from ASUS. It is updated to the latest firmware and officially it says supports TOT Thailand as ISP. But no way to connect with them. It links the DSL but no way to create a connection. I tried manually or automatically with the same settings I have for TP-LINK (which works perfectly of course). I am in Sattahip, since I don't want to mess with those idiots at support, since it happened once and they came and replaced my modem with another TP-LINK, for them that is the solution. But, I want 1 device to work as router and modem, not several devices. I thought ASUS was a great choice, bad it is not. I contacted ASUS support, and they are so slow to reply (3 days to reply to 1 issue, then they reply and ask to contact TOT to know which VLAN ID they use bla bla bla). Is that possible I am the only one person who owns a ASUS AC-68U in Thailand trying to use it with TOT?

Any idea whether 802.1Q VLAN ID & 802.1P settings are needed??

Why officially ASUS supports TOT ISP ? But then it does not work??

Is there a support email from TOT in english to figure this out?

Any suggestions or live experience?

Thank you again

Where did you buy this ASUS DSL-AC68U?

Is there a modem setting to select the DSL Annex/frequency range (Annex A, B, J, M)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.5#Thailand

Thailand

Hi-Speed Internet ISPs deploy ADSL2+ Services over POTS. There is also Annex M support in some areas.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As usual I searched the net for "ASUS DSL-AC68U waiting PADO".

There are a couple of hits.

But I didn't find any convincing solution/resolution.

(some speculation about problems with the modem chipset?)

So either try a refund or follow previous post.

Why you didn't bought a wireless router instead of dsl + wireless?

Use your existing tp-link modem. setup a static ip + DMZ for new wireless asus router, disable wireless on tp-link and voila.

Because this is what I already have, and I would prefer to have only 1 device as said before...

As usual I searched the net for "ASUS DSL-AC68U waiting PADO".

There are a couple of hits.

But I didn't find any convincing solution/resolution.

(some speculation about problems with the modem chipset?)

So either try a refund or follow previous post.

I also did my research on google before coming here. You think a malfunctioning chipset? It might be, I am waiting to finish all the wasting time tests with the ASUS guys... then they will probably ask me to return the device... Of course I wasted so much time and now lazada won't accept the return because it is out of the 7/14 days replacement policy....

But the funny thing is that officially in the last few firmwares it was stated that this router/modem would work with TOT ISP...

Is there a modem setting to select the DSL Annex/frequency range (Annex A, B, J)?

I bought it from Lazada.co.th the DSL link is up and yes it uses Annex A as ADSL+

Should be Annex M not Annex A.

In any case I would expect that a reasonably good ADSL modem like that should auto-negotiate. But if you have manually set Annex A, I don't think that will work.

Found this for you - you are not the only one...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2293341

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/703306-Asus-DSL-AC68U-ADSL-setup <== read this one first!

Hope this will help you.

Good luck!

Oh well I never found that site during my research (last link), that is a good piece of information! I am going to try now! I will keep you posted, thank you very much...

Is there a modem setting to select the DSL Annex/frequency range (Annex A, B, J)?

I bought it from Lazada.co.th the DSL link is up and yes it uses Annex A as ADSL+

Should be Annex M not Annex A.

In any case I would expect that a reasonably good ADSL modem like that should auto-negotiate. But if you have manually set Annex A, I don't think that will work.

That is wrong, it depends on the line mode. When they use ADSL+ is Annex A if they use GMT is Annex M. At least here in Sattahip they do so. But as I said I am using exactly the same settings I use with TPLINK and they work with TPLINK. Plus the link is UP so there is no problem with the ADSL sync...

Found this for you - you are not the only one...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2293341

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/703306-Asus-DSL-AC68U-ADSL-setup <== read this one first!

Hope this will help you.

Good luck!

Oh well I never found that site during my research (last link), that is a good piece of information! I am going to try now! I will keep you posted, thank you very much...

What a disappointment ! Nothing worked, I tried also those suggestions, still have the "waiting for the F***king PADO packets"...

It is a piece of junk this router/modem I will throw it away

Annex M and A works in TOT.

Probably they don't support this modem.

And why on ASUS website they listed TOT ISP as compatible?

Problem could be lying in your adsl port (DSLAM card) which doesn't support this modem. You can't know, you can't tell, and no they won't change config just for you.

PADO / PADI is communication packets and they can't talk eachother.

Perhaps try without dsl splitter or ups line protection (if you use any).

Does the ASUS DSL-AC68U support TR-069 auto-configuration via the ISP's provisioning gateway? If it's available just select it in the pull-down menu and save it. restart the device. it should try to auto-config.

While it could be a defective device, or just incompatible with the manufacturer of the DSLAM, it could be a misconfiguration where the router expecting more virtual network separation settings than are available, and PPPoE Active Discovery Offer (PADO) isn't returning PADI request because the VLAN is being initiated (when it's not used on simple ADSL2+ connections).

Does the ASUS DSL-AC68U support TR-069 auto-configuration via the ISP's provisioning gateway? If it's available just select it in the pull-down menu and save it. restart the device. it should try to auto-config.

While it could be a defective device, or just incompatible with the manufacturer of the DSLAM, it could be a misconfiguration where the router expecting more virtual network separation settings than are available, and PPPoE Active Discovery Offer (PADO) isn't returning PADI request because the VLAN is being initiated (when it's not used on simple ADSL2+ connections).

I also try to set VLAN ID to 10 and 802.1P to 1 and also other numbers, nothing...

Of course I tried the auto configuration that is the first thing you do

Doubt that, as most people don't even know about TR-069. They only know about the install CD or the TOT Engineer that does "something" to make it work.

Can you reset the device and provide a detailed log of it trying to request IP/DNS addresses (that is if you aren't totally disgusted with it and already have it packed up ready to ship back).

Doubt that, as most people don't even know about TR-069. They only know about the install CD or the TOT Engineer that does "something" to make it work.

Can you reset the device and provide a detailed log of it trying to request IP/DNS addresses (that is if you aren't totally disgusted with it and already have it packed up ready to ship back).

what the heck?

I am a technician as well darling, and I am following this issue and trying to fix it since end of august with ASUS support as well. I have already done everything and sent them logs and checked everything! I am not as "most people". I looked here to check if anyone is using this modem/router here in thailand with TOT, but apparently it seems NO! I am the only one!

There is no connection to there is no trace route possible at all

Googling the issue reveals no end to the people having issues with the AC68U connecting to ADSL DSLAM Ports.

Some have reported odd Ethernet issues (removed Ethernet and connected via WiFi and it links). With Ethernet cable it won't. Very odd.

Whirlpool.net.au Some have reported that provisioning Annex M and it fails, Annex A and it works. (Though the DSLAM port needs to be configured for this)

In the thread ASUS Australia support suggested try and lower the "DSL Stability Adjustment" from the current "Disabled" to "-2" or lower and keep "SRA" enabled see if that helps to iron out [the] issue. This model seems to have more 'adjustments' than your average ADSL2+ router.

I'm sure ASUS support is running you though the same things as seen in that forum thread.

Several people on ThaiVisa report owning them, and no reports of issues (no reports of anything really).

Started by LivinLOS, 2015-03-14 12:18
Started by LivinLOS, 2015-03-14 12:36
Changing Over to TOT Fiber from ADSL Service ! post #22 but poster has stated he has a fiber connection (so two router setup)
Started by sub101uk, 2014-04-19 09:42

Googling the issue reveals no end to the people having issues with the AC68U connecting to ADSL DSLAM Ports.

Some have reported odd Ethernet issues (removed Ethernet and connected via WiFi and it links). With Ethernet cable it won't. Very odd.

Whirlpool.net.au Some have reported that provisioning Annex M and it fails, Annex A and it works. (Though the DSLAM port needs to be configured for this)

In the thread ASUS Australia support suggested try and lower the "DSL Stability Adjustment" from the current "Disabled" to "-2" or lower and keep "SRA" enabled see if that helps to iron out [the] issue. This model seems to have more 'adjustments' than your average ADSL2+ router.

I'm sure ASUS support is running you though the same things as seen in that forum thread.

Several people on ThaiVisa report owning them, and no reports of issues (no reports of anything really).

Started by LivinLOS, 2015-03-14 12:18
Started by LivinLOS, 2015-03-14 12:36
Changing Over to TOT Fiber from ADSL Service ! post #22 but poster has stated he has a fiber connection (so two router setup)
Started by sub101uk, 2014-04-19 09:42

Yes, but I think who owns this modem they use another ISP or TOT but with the fiber... I have stuck on ADSL and I live in the country side, so maybe the DSLAM are not the last fashion....

Return it to lazada if you can (good luck!)

or use it as wireless AP by using LAN4 port as WAN and setting it wireless AP / router.

For wireless AP, it is too expensive.

I just bought ASUS AC-56R (same as AC-56U) from ebay for 73$ + shipping + tax (109$ usd total). Atleast 50% cheaper than Thailand.

Single purpose devices are more flexible. For example, wifi radio in my tp-link adsl modem is faulty after 1 years of usage. I use wireless ap to distribute wifi in village home. Because tp-link modem still works and it has lifetime warranty lol.

Return it to lazada if you can (good luck!)

or use it as wireless AP by using LAN4 port as WAN and setting it wireless AP / router.

For wireless AP, it is too expensive.

I just bought ASUS AC-56R (same as AC-56U) from ebay for 73$ + shipping + tax (109$ usd total). Atleast 50% cheaper than Thailand.

Single purpose devices are more flexible. For example, wifi radio in my tp-link adsl modem is faulty after 1 years of usage. I use wireless ap to distribute wifi in village home. Because tp-link modem still works and it has lifetime warranty lol.

Better to throw it in a lake or put it on fire, then make a video and share it ;)