Huge waterspout spotted off Phuket's east coast

webfact

Huge waterspout spotted off Phuket's east coast
Eakkapop Thongtub

1442994785_1-org.jpg
The huge water spout could be seen overland from Koh Kaew, north of Phuket Town. Photo: Sakrit Kaewpon

PHUKET: -- Construction workers at Supalai Lagoon in Koh Kaew dropped their tools when they spotted a gigantic waterspout off the east coast of Phuket this morning (Sept 23).

Site manager Sakrit Kaewpon, who was installing water pipes at the site, told The Phuket News that the towering “water twister” appeared at about 10am several miles off Sapam Beach.

“The waterspout remained in sight from the coast for about 10 minutes, before finally disappearing,” he said.

Mr Sakrit managed to capture several photos of the gigantic waterspout.

“It was raining before the waterspout appeared. I didn’t know about it until my co-workers shouted out, ‘Look at that!” Mr Sakrit said

“We were so excited to see a real one so close. Most of us have only ever seen photos of them online.”

In the common form, a waterspout is a non-supercell tornado over water, explains online weather resource Geographic.org.

“A waterspout is an intense columnar vortex (usually appearing as a funnel-shaped cloud) that occurs over a body of water. They are connected to a towering cumuliform cloud or a cumulonimbus cloud,” the online digest explains.

While waterspouts are often weaker than most of their land counterparts, the malevolent “twisters”, stronger versions spawned by mesocyclones do occur.

“Most waterspouts do not suck up water; they are small and weak rotating columns of air over water,” Wikipedia explains.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/huge-waterspout-spotted-off-phuket-east-coast-54227.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-23

"Construction workers..............dropped their tools................."

That would be the bamboo pole, the nail, the length of clear plastic tubing and the piece-of-string-with-the-stone-tied-to-it, I guess?

(............and yes, I am reminiscing about our own house construction!).

That would be the bamboo pole, the nail, the length of clear plastic tubing and the piece-of-string-with-the-stone-tied-to-it, I guess?

(............and yes, I am reminiscing about our own house construction!).

Yes, but then they picked up their latest iPhone and took a photo of it. biggrin.png

(............and yes, I am reminiscing about our own house

I think that reading the news is quite boring, and find myself more in the funny comments here on thaivisa.

Specialy this one... I laughed my guts out. Thank you so much!