Police spokesman confirms Bangkok bombings are not act of terrorism

webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"ter·ror·ism: the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims" [Google search 24-Sep-15]

"China’s official Xinhua agency said late on Saturday that the 109 illegal immigrants {deported by Thailand} had been on their way “to join jihad”, and that 13 of them had fled China after being implicated in terrorist activities. Another two had escaped detention, Xinhua said, citing the ministry of public security" [theGuardian Online 12 Jul 15]

"Thailand: Royal Thai Police confirmed today that those responsible for the bombing of the Erewan shrine were all friends and relatives of 2 Uighurs deported by Thailand and confirmed as "criminals that evaded detention from China a year ago" by Chinese authorities [Reuters 30-Sep-15]

Not terrorism - easy peasy.

To clarify this and act of terrorism as defined in the Oxford dictionary: "The unofficial or unauthorised use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims".

So I guess this was ether not authorised or in the permute of political aims. Amazing !!

In general, IMHO they would not call this an act of terrorisme as to give victims and or their relatives the chance to collect help and financial pay outs from their insurance companies as where with a act of terrorism most would not give any compensation as it it is widely known as an exclusion.

+1...Maybe your right about that.

It's the assumption that the police think that they can get away with anything they choose to say that is so annoying. Those days are GONE, sirs, at least until you start to censor internet as do China and get rid of the social media.

Take it you haven't read this bit of news then ?

http://www.telecomasia.net/blog/content/general-happiness-orders-great-firewall-thailand#.VgK4q5bMQKc.facebook

I can imagine the diplomatic cables sent back to the various foreign ministries will contain some very pointed, unflattering language.

LoS seems oblivious to the ease with which they make fools of themselves.

Yes, so right, they never miss a chance of ridiculing them selves.......!!...So predictable....!!

It's the assumption that the police think that they can get away with anything they choose to say that is so annoying. Those days are GONE, sirs, at least until you start to censor internet as do China and get rid of the social media.

Unfortunately that is what usually happens under authoritarian rule.

It wasn't terrorism.

Just some (allegedly) p1ssed off Uighurs that decided to maim and kill innocent folks.

Definitely NOT terrorism though.

I wonder if they did a survey.

Were you terrified when the bomb went off?

Nah. Not me. I wasn't terrified = it wasn't terrorism.

Clearly doesn't know - or just won't accept - what 'terrorism' even means. Not like you have to be a 'gang' with 'Terrorist/ Terrorists' amongst your name and job-titles, is it??? Ridiculous that its somehow believed that making such ridiculous statements somehow makes everyone ELSE believe. He/ they might think it works on Thais, such disrespect guys like this treat even their own people with, but.. come on.. get a grip!!! blink.pngwai.gif

http://prachatai.com/english/node/5485

The cabinet under the junta has ordered relevant agencies to speed up the process to reduce multiple internet gateways to a single one in order to increase the efficiency of the state’s surveillance system....

before the end of September 2015....

The plan to reduce internet gateways was initially proposed by Pol Gen Somyos Pumpanmuang, the chief of the Royal Thai Police, in June 2015. He reasoned that through a single gateway system, it will be much easier for the state authorities to monitor, filter, delete, and intercept information on the internet that could be deemed inappropriate....

Arthit Suriyawongkul, coordinator of the Thai Netizen Network (TNN), an Internet freedom advocacy group, told Prachatai that the idea to reduce the internet gateways to a single one was proposed only a few days after the 2014 coup d’état by the ex-MICT permanent secretary.

He mentioned that the idea was formulated under the logic that Thai people in present use social media inappropriately without control.

The TNN coordinator added that the MICT then even proposed the idea of creating a special version of Facebook for Thailand and to require people to fill in their ID numbers before using the internet.

“We can see that this sort of idea came together with the coup d’état,” said Arthit.

http://prachatai.com/english/node/5485

The cabinet under the junta has ordered relevant agencies to speed up the process to reduce multiple internet gateways to a single one in order to increase the efficiency of the state’s surveillance system....

before the end of September 2015....

The plan to reduce internet gateways was initially proposed by Pol Gen Somyos Pumpanmuang, the chief of the Royal Thai Police, in June 2015. He reasoned that through a single gateway system, it will be much easier for the state authorities to monitor, filter, delete, and intercept information on the internet that could be deemed inappropriate....

Arthit Suriyawongkul, coordinator of the Thai Netizen Network (TNN), an Internet freedom advocacy group, told Prachatai that the idea to reduce the internet gateways to a single one was proposed only a few days after the 2014 coup d’état by the ex-MICT permanent secretary.

He mentioned that the idea was formulated under the logic that Thai people in present use social media inappropriately without control.

The TNN coordinator added that the MICT then even proposed the idea of creating a special version of Facebook for Thailand and to require people to fill in their ID numbers before using the internet.

“We can see that this sort of idea came together with the coup d’état,” said Arthit.

Yes, yes at least 6 people have pointed this out. I didn't think it was necessary to go down that path.

Just unbelievable that the Thai authorities are ignoring the obvious: many little details point to what this is all about. Ask Joanthan Head (BBC) how he knew this would happen in advance of the explosion? What were the Uyghurs that were deported doing here anyway? On the way to Turkey? Why? I've posted elsewhere about the NATO/USA/Uyghur connection and the China/Thailand connection. If you want to dig deeper, do so. But don't get fobbed off by the Thai regime's simple parodying of Jonathan Head's theories (he was the first to mention the Uyghurs - because he knows the connection).

It wasn't terrorism.

Just some (allegedly) p1ssed off Uighurs that decided to maim and kill innocent folks.

Definitely NOT terrorism though.

I wonder if they did a survey.

Were you terrified when the bomb went off?

Nah. Not me. I wasn't terrified = it wasn't terrorism.

Clearly doesn't know - or just won't accept - what 'terrorism' even means. Not like you have to be a 'gang' with 'Terrorist/ Terrorists' amongst your name and job-titles, is it??? Ridiculous that its somehow believed that making such ridiculous statements somehow makes everyone ELSE believe. He/ they might think it works on Thais, such disrespect guys like this treat even their own people with, but.. come on.. get a grip!!! blink.pngwai.gif

I had to go into an interview with what I can only guess was a CIA officer once in Kuwait, to get my "Installation Access Pass" to get on the US Army Base......Same place I had been working at for 2 years till they changed the rules.

I had far too many stamps in my passport. The PRC and the Algeria, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, Oman and Yemen stamps had them really hopping though.

The lady asked me, with a straight face "Do you know, or have you ever had any associations with any terrorist groups?"......... Like I was going to say yes to that?????

Of course everyone knows the definition of "terrorism"? - or maybe not

I strongly doubt it. The official definitions make ordinary armed rebellion into 'terrorism'. Technically, the Russian separatists in the Ukraine are 'terrorists'.

Sooo....Because it is not an act of terrorism...next time the Thai govt. have to consider kicking out a bunch of Uighurs, they will not at all consider this act of "vengeance" when making their decision.....

It may not have that effect. Perhaps it will make the Thai government more likely to kick out the next awkward bunch of Uighurs. If the bomb was not intended to change the policy of the Thai government, but merely to make the Uighurs feel better, then, ludicrously, it is not terrorism by the legal definitions! Motive is key to the definition.