Done with Amorn

MZurf

Yesterday I went to Amorn (basement of Tukcom) in desperation due to the fact that I could not find a replacement for my aircon remote, and needed the damn thing to work. I was again met by sourly staff and the arrogant little prcik that I dealt with did the job on the sly for no less that 200 Baht (no receipt and when I went to pick it up he got the remote out from a box tucked away in a corner).

I have resolved never again to use their services since I cannot stand the staff there so my question is if there is any alternative place where I could go and get electric/electronic appliances fixed?

Had the same thing with my air remote but Arorn told me it was unrepairable so I called the manufacturer in bangkok and they sent a replacement down in 2 days. It was not expensive as I remember. I have looked around for other independent repair places but they seem to specialize only on certain items and was turned away but amorn seems willing to fix just about anything. Would be nice to find an alternative though.

• 4 weeks later...

went to this place on the bottom floor of Tukcom with my friend to get his car remote battery replaced

What A chuffin fiasco and because of the info on this thread about this place I warned him <deleted>

Sure enough they tried it on, after keeping us waiting for about 25 minute <deleted> appeared with the remote and asked for 500 baht

&lt;deleted&gt; we said its only one of those cheapo small chromium batteries, surely not more than 100 baht to replace?

He said it needed a repair ( well he would, wouldn't he)

Because there was four of us and i think he felt a bit intimidated he settled for 200 baht which was in any event a con because he hadn't actually replaced a new battery in the remote (we marked the old batterY)

So be warned about the activities going on at Tukcom, IMO they are now so short of customers that they are conning just about everyone they can

Take the remote apart, set the LCD to one side along with its contact pads, clean the rubber keypad and circuit board with lite soap and water (under the tap) dry it off assemble replace batteries and should be good to go, what sometimes happens is the batteries are in these things so long they start to leak and mess up the keypad and battery contacts

went to this place on the bottom floor of Tukcom with my friend to get his car remote battery replaced

What A chuffin fiasco and because of the info on this thread about this place I warned him about their scamming

Sure enough they tried it on, after keeping us waiting for about 25 minute the scammer appeared with the remote and asked for 500 baht

<deleted> we said its only one of those cheapo small chromium batteries, surely not more than 100 baht to replace?

Because there was four of us and i think he felt a bit intimidated he settled for 200 baht which was in any event a con because he hadn't actually replaced a new battery in the remote (we marked the old batterY)

So be warned about the activities going on at Tukcom, IMO they are now so short of customers that they are conning just about everyone they can

I hate to say, but you do have to blame yourself partly for not asking the price before.

Every shop, every technician in Thailand would try it on if customer does not ask for price prior to work being done.

For others who have problems with air remotes, why do you even bother to have it fixed when you can order a new one from the factory or get a copy from Numchai in Naklua for 100 baht?!

My puppy ate all 3 remotes from every room in the house, bought 3 new copies, 100 baht each. Identical to original just missing the LG sticker and all functions work just as original,

Original from LG was quoted 350 baht each, plus postage and tax

I used to use a small electrical repair shop in the road with the Indian temple on it behind the market. I went there on Monday to get a DVD player repaired and found it had closed. So I was actually going to ask the same question on TV as the OP has asked here, about alternatives.

Then I remembered Amorn - which I stopped using a few years ago for overpriced/very bad attitude reasons. I relented and went there yesterday and they called me last night to say the DVD repair would cost 300 baht, which I think is reasonable.

I used to use a small electrical repair shop in the road with the Indian temple on it behind the market. I went there on Monday to get a DVD player repaired and found it had closed. So I was actually going to ask the same question on TV as the OP has asked here, about alternatives.

Then I remembered Amorn - which I stopped using a few years ago for overpriced/very bad attitude reasons. I relented and went there yesterday and they called me last night to say the DVD repair would cost 300 baht, which I think is reasonable.

Or can buy a new one for 500

Amorn in Pattaya is pretty dire. If I need anything, I go to their outlet in Sri Racaha, it's only 20 minutes up the road, right on Sukhumvit in the Tukcom tower, ground floor. Better selection and service IMHO.

I have used them a few times and found them very helpful. They have always priced the various options for repair without any bias. One thing was a TV which they offered to repair with a second hand item for a couple of hundred baht and no warranty,or fit a new item for about 1K with 1 year warranty. We opted for the former and a few years later TV still working fine.

Or can buy a new one for 500

I have a stand-alone DVD player, but this one also has a working video player in it, which is handy in my Stone-Age world.

I, too, have fallen foul of these grubby people, especially that smug little ... Will never use their services again. Does this sound familiar to anyone: Drop off item for repairs (not possible to get quote as problem is unknown). Next day get phone call from smug little ... saying "it ekpensif repair, cost X baht, you want?" (Repair does not properly fix problem)

So, where to go for electrical repairs? Some posters suggest a place close to the Thappraya/Theprasit intersection. Though I recall one poster saying it was a rip off as well, but I have no personal experience.

I have been using Amorn for 8 years and never had a problem (outside of language). I took a coffee grinder in to them last month and when I returned they said they could not fix. No charge. Of course most of what they sell is junk, but still it is sometimes a good option.

Why did you not just put a new battery in yourself

if you had opened it up to mark the battery in the first place. ? w00t.gif

Or have I misread your post ? wai2.gif

Let me explain a little more fully

When I said that we had marked the battery it was when it was first placed in the remote and not by me but by my friend who asked the car service people to place a new battery in his remote at the time of his purchasing the car because the remote at that time only worked every now and again. ( after the new battery it worked perfectly until just recently)

Conventionally I always ask the people who are used to this sort of thing and do it every day to change the batteries of this kind of car remote because as I understand and I could be wrong here there is a time limit to change the battery without losing all the data on the board within the remote control

And no you didn't misread my post maybe I just didn't give enough information!

What A chuffin fiasco and because of the info on this thread about this place I warned him about their scamming

Sure enough they tried it on, after keeping us waiting for about 25 minute the scammer appeared with the remote and asked for 500 baht

<deleted> we said its only one of those cheapo small chromium batteries, surely not more than 100 baht to replace?

I hate to say, but you do have to blame yourself partly for not asking the price before.

Yes you are absolutely right and in mitigation we thought that something so basic would be to a degree scam proof

To make matters worse I told my friend before we went to this company what to expect so I am doubly wrong in not asking for a quote

I hold my hands up high!

When I said that we had marked the battery it was when it was first placed in the remote and not by me but by my friend who asked the car service people to place a new battery in his remote at the time of his purchasing the car because the remote at that time only worked every now and again. ( after the new battery it worked perfectly until just recently)

Conventionally I always ask the people who are used to this sort of thing and do it every day to change the batteries of this kind of car remote because as I understand and I could be wrong here there is a time limit to change the battery without losing all the data on the board within the remote control

Ok, Fair enough. thumbsup.gif

I don't use there service people anymore, had a bad experience many years ago. but still shop there. wai2.gif

If you feel you have to pay someone else to change a battery for you, you're worrying way too much. How long can it possibly take?

not buying this story at all....when people say. "let me explain, let me explain"....my ears and eyes automatically shut....I am smelling an agenda...

not buying this story at all....when people say. "let me explain, let me explain"....my ears and eyes automatically shut....I am smelling an agenda...

Maybe you smell too much?

Sorry I couldn't resist that but you do sound a bit paranoid or am I smelling too much too?

Just saying how it was/is, where can a reasonably minded person find an hidden agenda in our relating our experiences with this company?

Just reread the post again and then when you have done so please justify your missive against a 500 Baht charge for a new battery that wasn't?

If you feel you have to pay someone else to change a battery for you, you're worrying way too much. How long can it possibly take

Well for a clever dick like you maybe no too long but when you are in your seventies like my friend and I then just a tad longer.

You see SB or maybe you know this already, when you take the battery out of a car remote the data that is solely for your car can be lost if the delay in placing the new battery back in the remote is delayed, I dont know the exact time but it is a short time. (No pun intended)

So when I or my erstwhile friend has opened up the battery compartment, picked up the lost screws off the floor, decided on which way the battery goes in and then usually forgetting which is the new battery because they were left together on the table.........?

Well Maybe you are getting the idea or there again maybe not but who cares!

And yes I do feel that like changing the battery on a watch its better to pay some a small fee for the service but at Amorn its going to be a big fee and therefore your critique is well justifiedd

I have used the place for years and have had excellent service. They would always call me whenever the job was done.

For the price/s never more than pocket change..to me less than Baht 500.

I have also had a universal remote for my aircon which worked fine, it searched for the correct parameters.

Changing batteries !, I have a six year old who uses a Fluke Multi-meter to check the batteries in his toy engines, and replaces them himself, yesterday he saw the clock had stopped and replaced the battery unasked.

He is 100 % Thai ..

I also think that this is a great shop and never had a problem. I do not believe the OP story told here.

If you had bothered reading all the posts you would have seen that I'm far from alone in having had negative experiences in Amorn.

And why the eff would I make something like that up??crazy.gif

I also think that this is a great shop and never had a problem. I do not believe the OP story told here.

If you had bothered reading all the posts you would have seen that I'm far from alone in having had negative experiences in Amorn.

And why the eff would I make something like that up??crazy.gif

This thread has attracted trolls like cowshizer attracts flies hasn't it MZurf?

Apart from that its seems its ok to openly call someone a liar on here these days or am I being too sensitive

Edited by n210mp