What do you see in Pattaya?

lewisp91

I did some research and just imagined it differently. I guess it's not the worst but it's definitely a downgrade from Chiang Mai and that's probably why we feel this way.

In fact, I'm researching now to see where we can go instead. Somewhere relaxed like Chiang Mai but with a beach would be perfect.

Hua Hin would be perfect for you; there is absolutely nothing to do unless you like golf and fat caddies.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some research and just imagined it differently. I guess it's not the worst but it's definitely a downgrade from Chiang Mai and that's probably why we feel this way.

In fact, I'm researching now to see where we can go instead. Somewhere relaxed like Chiang Mai but with a beach would be perfect.

From what residents have said in the past, it is or was a cheaper option to Bangkok with regards to food, housing and sex.

If anyone is in the mood to read a babel of conditions I suggest they read your posts before answering anything....... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/245481-lewisp91/

Quote--"I'm really desperate and don't know where to turn... Recently went 8 days without taking a dump,"

I think you have solved that problem with your last post....................................coffee1.gif

I think the more interesting places here require a vehicle. Bang Saray, Buddha mountain, Wat Yan, lunch at the lake, Ban Chang's beaches (or the navy's), NaJomtien near the Glass House, Dinner at Preecha's in Ban Amphur (or just on the beach), etc.

Definitely go to the Sanctuary of Truth. The mountain in Pratumnak for views over Pattaya. Drinks on roof top of the Hilton. Live music at the Lion Pub or Mood. The show at Angels Witch or What's Up. Koh Larn makes for an interesting trip. Public transport, outside central Pattaya, is a problem.

Drinks on roof top of the Hilton

Do you have to wear long pants and shoes to go there?

To go anywhere far away go to a travel agent, and they can do a private tour for you. If I can afford it anyone can.

For Sanctuary of Truth, can take baht bus to near Naklua town and walk. Not far. look on a map for where to get off. Cost- 10 baht.

Actually, I think I would prefer Chiang Mai compared to Pattaya where I live now, except for one glaring problem. I could not handle the pervasive smoke during the early part of each year when people are burning their fields. The government is doing not one damn thing about stopping it either. Until they do Chiang Mai is not an option for me.

It is a completely different place.

Not much sea fishing in Chiangmai, or sea sports for that matter.

You can eat very cheaply in Pattaya , just a matter of finding the places. A much wider varieties of foods at better quality too.

There are nicer beaches a little out of town.

Night-life also includes beer bars and shows, cinemas and shops, tours, live sports, racing tracks etc

It is nice to be near the sea, and I am sure when the breeze is off the sea the air quality beats CM, (although stuck in traffic is likely at least as bad).

Another advantage is the proximity to Bangkok of course. I like the fact that I could probably be on a flight homeward the same day if needed.

I felt quickly bored in CM personally...... you have the zoo, we have Walking st :)

It is a completely different place.

Not much sea fishing in Chiangmai, or sea sports for that matter.

You can eat very cheaply in Pattaya , just a matter of finding the places. A much wider varieties of foods at better quality too.

There are nicer beaches a little out of town.

Night-life also includes beer bars and shows, cinemas and shops, tours, live sports, racing tracks etc

It is nice to be near the sea, and I am sure when the breeze is off the sea the air quality beats CM, (although stuck in traffic is likely at least as bad).

Another advantage is the proximity to Bangkok of course. I like the fact that I could probably be on a flight homeward the same day if needed.

I felt quickly bored in CM personally...... you have the zoo, we have Walking st smile.png

You can eat very cheaply in Pattaya.

Yes, many 7 11 in Pattaya.

Samet for a few days....Samui / Lamai for a couple of weeks... Koh Chang, hoping that weather clears up, for a couple of weeks... Sianoukville via land for a couple of weeks & side-trip to P.P. Yes, Pattaya is a shit-hole, overall, but has some advantages, mostly for elderly men with pink glasses and deeply in love, with whatever..... But there are also the golfers, the people who found a real wife & family and not a lady for rent, the professionals who run successful or less successful businesses and others. Just move on, if you don't like it. There are many options. Have a good holiday! MS>

You don it have to go to the Go Go bars plenty of others, and good bars with the younger type. A lot of the bars are cheap, beers 45- to baht. Hire scooters go along the coast towards Satiahip beutifull beaches there and very cheap food stalls, Bang Sarah is fab clean and pretty quiet.

This is Thailand they have to earn a living as best they can so a lot try and make a few baht selling things, nothing wrong with that just smile and put your hand up, no thank you. Mio Cap (no need).

There are all sorts of food places and cheap. The cooking stalls are very cheap, we go to quite a few small restaurants cheap. 120 baht for a good size meals you just got to look for them.

Being a fan of CM myself, I can see your problem. But in Pattaya you indeed need to get away from the tourist area a bit. BTW for me the same goes for Chiang Mai. I love it there, but would not want to live on Nimman, Chanklan or probably anywhere in the old city either. Chiang Mai for me would suck without having my own transport, and the same goes for pretty much anywhere here besides BKK.

There are plenty of nice beach places in Thailand, the question is really what kind of admosphere and stuff you are looking for. There are 1000s of km of beach in this country. There still are unspoiled places with a great beach. But you will have to miss out on the convenience of western food, coffee shops and shopping malls. You will have to go further south though. If Islands are an option Koh Chang is really nice I think. Samui is certainly more expensive than the mainland, but then away from the tourist areas it's really still quite reasonable all considered. If you are not really hung up on a beach, and you liked the vibe in Chiang Mai. I can suggest you Ubon Ratchatani in the east, it's got a nice vibe to it as well. There aren't many foreigners and I have no idea about the nightlife. But it has a mall and a couple of half decent western restaurants. What I loved most is that there are no traffic jams and no hassling.

I must admit I have always liked the patts about 10 years ago, still insane but a good insane now it just sucks overpriced with far too many tourists and just not the same anymore. I still remember the first time and met the lovely Gee from Korat after much pavement pounding smile.png

Come to the hillside, the "dark side" off Sukhumvit Rd. Lots of interesting people in Soi Map YaiLia and the area around, and far cheaper than Pattaya Beach.

Go to Jomtien if you want a nicer beach than Pattaya.

Even in Pattaya Beach there are some interesting areas, in the old fisherman's village between Beach Road and Second Road.

Leave the beach area and it gets less touristy the further you get away from the beach. Food prices will go down too. Not sure it's worth a month as a tourist, but I LOVE living here. Different being a resident and a tourist.

Think you are correct- being a resident is a totally different ball game, you have your own home- so a day at home relaxing is just fine. As a tourist you have this mindset - you must have something to do everyday.

You can find good friends here- takes time and certainly does not involve bar stools . So after a while you get caught up in a social whirl- always a party/ dinner / trip out to go to.

Add some decent restaurants, cinema, malls etc , short distance to swampy and easy to take a break to Samet.

Who on earth goes to walking street- have not been for years. Tourist for a week- a month no unless you are staying in one of the swish hotels and have transport.

How curious - I recently spoke with a guy who found Chiang Mai very overcrowded, polluted, and provincial ... while he found Pattaya exited, pleasant climate with always a breeze from the ocean, He called it one of the most "walkable" cities in the country and loved the range of food and very low cost of accomodation. He also mentioned the hour ride from the airport and BK.

Like you, he also did research and both cities lived up to expectation. So maybe your research skills need improving. Or perhaps you are just a winer whith too much time to kill.

Force of habit. Came here in January 1986 when it was a sleeping little fishing village of 10,000 souls swelling to 15,000 in the high season. Wife had passed on but still have two of her sisters here who look after me. Other kin in Bangkok who come to Pattaya frequently on short holidays. Just moved Mama and Papa up from the South of Thailand so the sisters can look after them. One sister is married to an American, the other has lived long-term with a German. Both great guys, The latest info on what was reported to be from a market research company puts the number of people in Pattaya on any given day at 2 million. Helluva change over not that long a time. Rarely venture into town at night but did a couple of nights ago to eat the buffet at Siam@Siam Hotel. If you haven't tried it you should. At 899 baht you get all the wine you can drink and I consumed the better part of two liters of Chilean white. In effect, my food was free. Great beef, cold seafood and many things to choose from. Sans wine I thnk it was either 599 or 699 baht. Great wall hangings made from an assortment of scrap items. Worth a trip just for the artwork. The endless variety of food outlets in Pattaya is certainly a factor. But in reality I am here because it is my home complete with family. That will never change.

I can understand your position. I have been coming to Thailand now for 21 years. I would come into Bangkok, stay there mostly, head to chaing mai, phuket, some of the islands and after a couple days, want to head back to bangkok. as for patts, i would come down for a couple days and couldnt wait to go back. It wasnt until I spent an entire month in Patts, that i found great places to go, things to do during the day. I am not a heavy drinker and could take or leave walking street, but have made friends with a good number of Thai people that i am kept busy. Patts isnt for everyone, but you do need to explore a bit and see what interests you. I very seldom spend 2 days in bangkok now, 2 on arrival and 2 for departure.

"I don't want to offend anyone living here,.................................?"

Except of course the "old men with young Thai women. (So cringy)."

Well I am one of them and having a great time without you so go back to Chiang Mai and cringe your heart out !

Except of course the "old men with young Thai women". Nothing wrong with that, it's the ones that are that stupid they believe that their young Thai women really love them that get me.

As long as these "old men with young Thai women". know that those young Thai women are only with them because of their deep pockets, then no harm done.

Jeez, who has seen this many replies ever.

Anyway,it's pretty obvious that you're gay. No problem with that except most of the elderly guys here are heterosexual and were lucky enough to meet hi-so Thais in their work related or cultural activities. Their wives are deffo not bargirls, no way (despite the tats)

Anyway, good luck.

Whether these elderly guys who meet Hi So Thai girls, or bargirls, in Chaing Mai, Pattaya or anywhere else, these girls

are only with them for financial reasons, I would say that 99.9% of the time that is the case.

Jeez, who has seen this many replies ever.

Anyway,it's pretty obvious that you're gay. No problem with that except most of the elderly guys here are heterosexual and were lucky enough to meet hi-so Thais in their work related or cultural activities. Their wives are deffo not bargirls, no way (despite the tats)

Anyway, good luck.

Whether these elderly guys who meet Hi So Thai girls, or bargirls, in Chaing Mai, Pattaya or anywhere else, these girls

are only with them for financial reasons, I would say that 99.9% of the time that is the case.

So, what? If money is the only thing that makes Farangs attractive, they take the money. Poor LoSo Farangs now if they don't even have money anymore :D

I used to live in Pattaya, but not anymore.

But its great to go back for 4 or 5 days, to have a blast, and meet my mates.

It's not as good as it was 10/15 years ago...but still ok for short periods.

It also gives me the chance to stock up on essential farang stuff, that you can't get in other places.

Take the ferry or motor boat out to Koh Larn = Coral Island . 15 mins away by high speeed boat or 40 min by the ferry ( cheaper ). Much nicer beach clear water. Boat Restaurant on Second Road has inexpensive food. Have you checked out Sukahwadee ? Million Year Park , Mini Siam , Noong Nuch Gardens ? Go down to Jomtien Beach, go para sail, bungy jump, Try Tony's Disco , Marine Disco , Mixx Disco, Insomnia Club, Lucifers Disco shucks just Google disco's or niteclubs in Pattaya . If you can't have fun in Pattaya there is something wrong with you not the area. Came here 15 years ago with friends ,been all over Thailand from Phuket to Chiang Mai but settled just outside Pattaya.

If you guys have the money to stay 2 months or more should never stayed a month in Ching Mai should have spent 2 --3 weeks there, then visted Bangkok, Pattaya , Rayong, Koh Samui, Phuket , Krabi ect. Each place in Thailand has its pro's and con's.

I'd suggest to the OP he is going to see old falangs with younger Thai women all over Thailand, so he'd better get used to it.

My teerak is 50 and looks about 30. So the OP is probably jumping to a few false conclusions anyway.

Cringe all you want; however, bear in mind the younger Thai women attached to the old falangs are probably having the time of their lives - comfortable bed and board, getting away from their home village where they may have been sleeping on pallets under the trees. Working their butts off in the rice fields for 100 baht a day. And no drunk, gambling, unfaithful and abusive village Thai men to cope with.