Non-Imm O Visa no longer available to unmarried farangs with Thai dependents

I have just been to the Thai Embassy in London UK only to be informed that I am no longer entitled to get a 3 month Non-Imm O Visa because I have a Thai child, so they suggested I get a 2 month Tourist Visa instead which I reluctantly accepted, they informed me I could only get the Non-Imm O Visa if I was married to the mother of our child, so I 'calmly' informed them that if I was married to my partner I would be applying for a 12 month Visa, not a puny 3 month one....go figure!!!!

How old is the child?

As Thai law is that you are not the father of the child as you are not married, and if the child is under a certain age then

you must apply to be recognised by the courts as the father of the child, maybe they are tightening up these rules and

giving the Embassies the rules to follow word for word.

• Like 1

you will need a non imm 'O' visa to do the 1 year extension for retirement

Once he is 50 he can do a conversion in Bangkok giving him a 90 day non imm visa entry which can be then be extended by 1 year on the basis of retirement. Or get a new Non 'O' from a neighbouring country and extend that.

• Like 2

How old is the child?

As Thai law is that you are not the father of the child as you are not married, and if the child is under a certain age then

you must apply to be recognised by the courts as the father of the child, maybe they are tightening up these rules and

My boy will be 2yrs old in March

I agree that there are only two methods in which to 'aquire' fatherhood for a Thai child, the easiest is just to marry the childs mother, & the 2nd is to apply to the Family Court for a Judge to decide. To cut to the 'chase', I do intend to marry the mother in the nearest future, but I need to do a few things before that will happen, as we 'all' know once married everything either of us aquire is owned 50/50.

So my 1st objective will be to create a company, & as I can only own 49% of said company, the other 51% will be divided up between 6-7 different Thai's that DON'T know each other (key point), this gives me control of the company, once created the 'company' will buy land & some vehical's in the company name.

With these objectives obtained I am more than willing to marry my sweetheart, & thus gain fatherhood for my son

Edited by Jip66
  • Like 1

I assume you are under 50

I turn 50 in January, so I will get this 2 month TR Visa extended for a further 30 days at Immigration, then get one more TR Visa after that before applying for a 12 month Retirement Visa

Where.will you apply for the "Retirement Visa" ?

Its quite obvious the OP is talking about an extension which many commonly call a visa.

• Like 1

I turn 50 in January, so I will get this 2 month TR Visa extended for a further 30 days at Immigration, then get one more TR Visa after that before applying for a 12 month Retirement Visa

You shouldn't need the second TR visa. Near the end of the 30 day extension you can get a 60 day extension for visiting your child (unmarried is no problem) which will give you nearly 5 months in total. If you can get away with 4 months you could extend by 60 instead of 30.

• Like 2

You shouldn't need the second TR visa. Near the end of the 30 day extension you can get a 60 day extension for visiting your child (unmarried is no problem) which will give you nearly 5 months in total. If you can get away with 4 months you could extend by 60 instead of 30.

Will I then be able to convert the orginal 2 month (now extended) Tourist Visa into a Non-Imm O Visa after I turn 50?

Will I then be able to convert the orginal 2 month (now extended) Tourist Visa into a Non-Imm O Visa after I turn 50?

Yes, but you'll need to be 50 and have at least 15 days of stay left when you apply.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Yes, but you'll need to be 50 and have at least 15 days of stay left when you apply.

That shouldn't be a problem, by the time I fly there will be less than 4 months until I turn 50, thanks for you advice

• Like 2

I have just been to the Thai Embassy in London UK only to be informed that I am no longer entitled to get a 3 month Non-Imm O Visa because I have a Thai child, so they suggested I get a 2 month Tourist Visa instead which I reluctantly accepted, they informed me I could only get the Non-Imm O Visa if I was married to the mother of our child.

One wonders what would happen if a person is a widow with children, would they demand death certificates...

• Like 2

I think if you had legitimized your parenthood they would of issued the visa and might of even done a multiple entry. They are apparently are tightening up their requirements.

I have just been to the Thai Embassy in London UK only to be informed that I am no longer entitled to get a 3 month Non-Imm O Visa because I have a Thai child, so they suggested I get a 2 month Tourist Visa instead which I reluctantly accepted, they informed me I could only get the Non-Imm O Visa if I was married to the mother of our child.

One wonders what would happen if a person is a widow with children, would they demand death certificates...

They would have every right to as for death or even a divorce certificate if you were apply for the visa based upon being the parent of Thai and the birth certificate showed you were married to the mother of your child.

• Like 2

How old is the child?

I agree that there are only two methods in which to 'aquire' fatherhood for a Thai child, the easiest is just to marry the childs mother, & the 2nd is to apply to the Family Court for a Judge to decide. To cut to the 'chase', I do intend to marry the mother in the nearest future, but I need to do a few things before that will happen, as we 'all' know once married everything either of us aquire is owned 50/50.

So my 1st objective will be to create a company, & as I can only own 49% of said company, the other 51% will be divided up between 6-7 different Thai's that DON'T know each other (key point), this gives me control of the company, once created the 'company' will buy land & some vehical's in the company name.

With these objectives obtained I am more than willing to marry my sweetheart, & thus gain fatherhood for my son

Always remember that you will be responsible for any debts that she might run up after you are married so just hiding your assets from her is not the complete answer

• Like 1

How old is the child?

Always remember that you will be responsible for any debts that she might run up after you are married so just hiding your assets from her is not the complete answer

offset, I appreciate your imput on this matter, but at the end of the day, if she doesn't realise which side her bread is buttered, she will not only be 'shooting herself in the foot', but ruining the future of our son AND her daughter

I would be interested in UbonJoe's opinion on my 'company setup' as mentioned above

Edited by Jip66
  • Like 1

Also your logic that allowing 'your' company to be 'owned' by 6 or 7 Thai people gives you control may seem like a good idea but is seriously dodgy. Ask yourself would you invest your money in a business at home, in this way? Why don't you choose a safer route? Become a teacher and keep your money in the bank at home for a rainy day????

How old is the child?

offset, I appreciate your imput on this matter, but at the end of the day, if she doesn't realise which side her bread is buttered, she will not only be 'shooting herself in the foot', but ruining the future of our son AND her daughter

I would be interested in UbonJoe's opinion on my 'company setup' as mentioned above

I do talk through experience if a Thai lady does gets into debt with the wrong people or gambles she will not worry about the future I have had to get 100% parental rights over my son so that she cannot sell land in his name to pay off her debts I was lucky I was not married to her so I am not responsible for her debts she now has​ I also not living with her now

If you get legally married in Thailand and it all goes **** up, then what do you actually own here? In most cases nothing and 50% of nothing is ...

If your wife to be understands that she can divorce you in the future and go to court in the UK and claim whatever % of your estate is deemed by the court to be the compensation due, then that is another matter ... providing of course she has the funds/knowledge to do it.

How old is the child?

What a wonderful, trusting way to start a marriage. Hiding all of your assets from her because in the back of your mind you don't trust her. I wonder where does this lack of trust stem from? Is it because of where and how you met? Or perhaps the simple fact that she is Thai means you don't trust her? In which case you may need to come to terms with your own inherent views on race...Why would you marry a woman you don't trust? Sorry, for being harsh but it is what it is!

Admittedly trust is not 100%, there have been 'issuses' in our four year relationship, where we have both 'emotionally hurt' each other (I'm not willing to go into every 'smutty' detail for the perverted members of this forum wink.png ), but we are both strong willed/minded people & have 'managed' to work things out between ourselves, which has only made our relationship stronger, including the birth of our son.

I will not be 'hiding all my assets' from her because she will know exactly where every satang is spent, she just won't have direct access to any of it, what she will have complete access to is the income the company generates, as well as equal access to income from 'assets' I already own in the UK, she won't go hungry

• Like 1

If you plan to follow your intentions in your post #8, setting up a company, be aware that if you are active in the company you will require a work permit.

Understanding that it is not impossible to acquire a WP on a retirement extension, it is extremely difficult.

Perhaps worth rethinking the retirement option?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/858237-non-imm-o-visa-no-longer-available-to-unmarried-farangs-with-thai-dependents/?p=9893591

Edited by chrisinth

How old is the child?

What a wonderful, trusting way to start a marriage. Hiding all of your assets from her because in the back of your mind you don't trust her. I wonder where does this lack of trust stem from? Is it because of where and how you met? Or perhaps the simple fact that she is Thai means you don't trust her? In which case you may need to come to terms with your own inherent views on race...Why would you marry a woman you don't trust? Sorry, for being harsh but it is what it is!

Admittedly trust is not 100%, there have been 'issuses' in our four year relationship, where we have both 'emotionally hurt' each other (I'm not willing to go into every 'smutty' detail for the perverted members of this forum wink.png ), but we are both strong willed/minded people & have 'managed' to work things out between ourselves, which has only made our relationship stronger, including the birth of our son.

I will not be 'hiding all my assets' from her because she will know exactly where every satang is spent, she just won't have direct access to any of it, what she will have complete access to is the income the company generates, as well as equal access to income from 'assets' I already own in the UK, she won't go hungry

I have always been guided by the adage "What is spent in Thailand, stays in Thailand".

The legal aspect is quite straight-forward but that doesn't always match up with what happens in practice e,g, a friend was legally entitled to 50% of 'his' house. He will never see a Satang of it as it was built on family land and nobody would buy the house.

Unless big bucks are involved I can't see the point of going the company route (which seems to be under very close scrutiny again).

what about visa non O in savanakhet still ok for non o thai child ?

As far as I know it still is not a problem to get a single entry non-o.

A multiple entry is only possible if the entire family is present when the application is done to prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage).

what about visa non O in savanakhet still ok for non o thai child ?

As far as I know it still is not a problem to get a single entry non-o.

A multiple entry is only possible if the entire family is present when the application is done to prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage).

I was told only yesterday at the Thai Embassy in London that unmarried farang's are NO LONGER ENTITLED to obtain Non-Imm O Visa's in regard to having a dependant Thai child