Tex/Mex buffet - Jomtien

KittenKong

"Every Friday 385 Baht Taco/Tex-mex Buffet at Akvavit Grill & Bar Jomtien from 18:00 – 22:00 pm.

Buy a bucket of San Miguel with 5 bottles for 400 Baht. Buy a bucket of Carlsberg with 5 bottle for 480 Baht and get a free t-shirt."

At that price they should be able to use decent ingredients, so maybe it's worth trying? Their other food isn't bad, if a little bland. Maybe this is the opportunity for them to inject some flavour.

Mexican is not really my cup of tea but I know that plenty of American people like it, and I've not noticed any comments about it on here so far.

http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/every-friday-385-baht-tacotex-mex-buffet-akvavit-grill-bar-jomtien-2/

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you could go and look before criticising? I would, if I was interested in Mexican food.

I see no indication that the picture is anything more than advertising material and as such possibly bears no relation at all to what they actually serve. It certainly doesnt show anything else that may be included in the buffet.

You've got to be kidding.

A Tex-Mex buffet put on by Scandanavians targeted mostly at Europeans and Russians, and you think there is any chance it could please Americans who know and love the real thing?

Quite the optimist you are!rolleyes.gif

Send me a memo when they get a trained Mexican chef ...

Put this another way.

Imagine the feelings of the owners of this place if a group of Mexican Americans from Texas walked into the door thinking they were going to actually get a taste of home? cheesy.gif

There is no way this buffet is designed to please that kind of audience.

Now their Scandinavian food IS designed to please Scandinavians wanting a taste of home.

See the BIG difference?

All I said was that it is a great treat for the small amount of Money you pay. Don`t need to be a Mexican chef to make Mexican food. Great and tasteful food. Can only recommend it.

What I meant by the question is if you personally know what this type of food is SUPPOSED to taste like? I am guessing by your comments. No. I agree you don't need a same nationality chef to make different cuisines, but you do need people who know what the food is supposed to taste like to have any chance of excellence.

Anyway, I don't really doubt that there is an audience here that would be pleased. But I don't believe that audience includes people who actually want the real thing. If there was as many Mexicans here as Scandinavians, imagine how good the Mexican food would be here. But it's very rare to meet a Mexican here!

post-37101-0-24804200-1443175541_thumb.j

Something to shoot for:

I went to the website (the Mexican buffet in Pattaya and not the one above) and only one word to describe what I saw: yuck! (is that a word?). And, yes, I am very familiar with so-called Tex-Mex and Mexican food and Cal-Tex. The video aboive was interesting to me because I have eaten at Ninfa's (wonderful and unique chips and salsa) and Joe T. Garcias (absolutely the best Tex-Mex in Texas--the best "American-Mexican" food I have ever eaten anywhere). The food, especially at Joe T. Garcias, is not like what most people think of as Tex-Mex; rather, it is Tex-Mex made by real Mexicans who take what they do seriously. Most of Joe T. Garcia's clientele are Mexican-Americans, which should tell you something. It is 1000 miles away from Taco Bell food, which way too many people associate with "Tex-Mex." I miss two food cuisines more than any others: 1) really good Tex-Mex (or really good Cal-Mex) and 2) really good American-Chinese food. Maybe I will never see either one of those in Thailand. The people who have tried do not know what they are doing, IMHO.

A Tex-Mex buffet put on by Scandanavians targeted mostly at Europeans and Russians, and you think there is any chance it could please Americans who know and love the real thing?

Quite the optimist you are!

I eat the margherita pizzas at Pizza Pizza in the Avenue. They taste fine and authentic and, at 69B, are very reasonably priced.

I dont think they are targeting Italians and I doubt that the chef has been within 5000 miles of Rome. I think that he is probably just a Thai who knows his job, and that's really all that matters to me.

I am not from Texas so I'm not personally into Tex-Mex although I have experienced excellent Tex-Mex. I prefer Cali-Mex and Mexican Mex. But that's neither here nor there. We don't have anything close to decent versions of any of those Mexes (including regional actual Mexican) in Pattaya.

I eat the margherita pizzas at Pizza Pizza in the Avenue. They taste fine and authentic and, at 69B, are very reasonably priced.

I dont think they are targeting Italians and I doubt that the chef has been within 5000 miles of Rome. I think that he is probably just a Thai who knows his job, and that's really all that matters to me.

You're tripping. There is an Italian involved in starting that place. Pizza is an international food. Mexican is more specific.

It's really OK to face the reality ... Pattaya is a horror show if you really want good Mexican food, any type of it. We have lots of good food here. Not Mexican.

We can't have everything here.

There is also no Ethiopian food here either.

I went to the website (the Mexican buffet in Pattaya and not the one above) and only one word to describe what I saw: yuck! (is that a word?).

I see no pictures anywhere of the Mexican buffet I posted about. All I see is one picture of a taco and a chilli and I suspect that this is a stock photo that has nothing to do with the actual place at all.

Anyway, the point of starting this thread was to bring this buffet to the attention of those who might be interested in checking it out. After all, looking costs nothing and I do it often. Being able to see what you are getting before you decide to sit down is one of great advantages of buffets to my mind.

Those who prefer to write it off without looking at all are welcome to do so, of course, though they seem a bit foolish to me.

You're tripping. There is an Italian involved in starting that place. Pizza is an international food. Mexican is more specific.

Only one person tripping here, I think, and it isnt me.

It's even more foolish to expect such a place would offer Mexican food that would please the demographic of people that know (and care) what it should actually taste like.

I dont expect anything. I dont even like Mexican food. Anyone who is interested can go and have a look entirely for free. What have they got to lose?

It's even more foolish to expect such a place would offer Mexican food that would please the demographic of people that know (and care) what it should actually taste like.

I dont expect anything. I dont even like Mexican food. Anyone who is interested can go and have a look entirely for free. What have they got to lose?

You've actually been exposed to excellent Mexican food to know you don't like it? I've met very few people that don't like Mexican food when they're exposed to the good stuff. There is so much more to it than tacos and burritos as those are basically the Mexican fast foods of the U.S. and Mexico (as burritos are rarely served in Mexico except in Northern Mexico) ... it is one of the great food cultures of the world.

But you won't find that here. Anyway ... sorry, you're right, it's there if people want it. Cheerio.

Let's face it, unless said Tex/Mex originated in a small town just over the border, cooked by Juanita and served by Jose, it's never going to be the real thing, or even worth a try, say some!

And KK, how dare you be so bold as to comment on an ethnic restaurant in Pattaya without having your post reviewed and approved first, shame on you!

You've actually been exposed to excellent Mexican food to know you don't like it? I've met very few people that don't like Mexican food when they're exposed to the good stuff.

I spent a fortnight in Mexico city and eat in about 30 different places (of various standards and price) and had few things that I liked enough to want to have again. So I suspect that I just dont like it. I dont really like Chinese food (from most Chinese regions: there are exceptions) either.

I went to the website (the Mexican buffet in Pattaya and not the one above) and only one word to describe what I saw: yuck! (is that a word?).

I see no pictures anywhere of the Mexican buffet I posted about. All I see is one picture of a taco and a chilli and I suspect that this is a stock photo that has nothing to do with the actual place at all.

Anyway, the point of starting this thread was to bring this buffet to the attention of those who might be interested in checking it out. After all, looking costs nothing and I do it often. Being able to see what you are getting before you decide to sit down is one of great advantages of buffets to my mind.

Those who prefer to write it off without looking at all are welcome to do so, of course, though they seem a bit foolish to me.

Please feel free to do us all a favor: Go there and take lots of pictures and post them here w/ a review of each food item. Thanks.

By and large the standard and quality of most food in Pattaya is way behind any decent city in Europe, US, or Australia.

What Pattaya does is lower prices and what you really hope for is something reasonably decent for your money.

I guess the exception is in seafood as it is much cheaper than most western countries.

Everything else is usually second rate but that is okay as long as it is priced accordingly.

OK. So you really don't like it. Takes all kinds!

Jeez, you do go on.....

Coulda just said " highly unlikely those Scandis could do a Mexican buffet that could pass my taste test, but anyone interested or daring enough to try could report back.."

Reading your posts for years now, but sometimes you've got me shaking my head. Not that you'll care.... tongue.png

If the Mods/owners ever wanted an example of what is wrong with this forum they need look no further than this thread - a long standing poster provides input on a particular restaurant and offers an opinion, immediately thereafter she is attacked and ridiculed for not liking nor understanding said ethnic food, attacked by arrogant people who, by their own admission, have never even been there. Folks need to get a life and understand they are not the only person on the planet with an opinion on international cuisine!

Please feel free to do us all a favor: Go there and take lots of pictures and post them here w/ a review of each food item. Thanks.

If I liked it I would but I don't so I shan't.

Hard to imagine that so many people could make so much fuss about a simple bit of information relating to a new buffet they dont want to try at a restaurant that they dont want to go to. Why not just ignore it?

Quite the optimist you are!rolleyes.gif

Put this another way.

Imagine the feelings of the owners of this place if a group of Mexican Americans from Texas walked into the door thinking they were going to actually get a taste of home? cheesy.gif

There is no way this buffet is designed to please that kind of audience.

Now their Scandinavian food IS designed to please Scandinavians wanting a taste of home.

See the BIG difference?

How do you know have you ever been in Scandinavia.. or are you the person who thinks he knows everything even if you never been there but if someone else comments on something you know about as its from your country you turn into a snob ? (without even having tried the food)

Archived