Tex/Mex buffet - Jomtien

KittenKong

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got to be kidding.

A Tex-Mex buffet put on by Scandanavians targeted mostly at Europeans and Russians, and you think there is any chance it could please Americans who know and love the real thing?

Quite the optimist you are!rolleyes.gif

Send me a memo when they get a trained Mexican chef ...

Put this another way.

Imagine the feelings of the owners of this place if a group of Mexican Americans from Texas walked into the door thinking they were going to actually get a taste of home? cheesy.gif

There is no way this buffet is designed to please that kind of audience.

Now their Scandinavian food IS designed to please Scandinavians wanting a taste of home.

See the BIG difference?

How do you know have you ever been in Scandinavia.. or are you the person who thinks he knows everything even if you never been there but if someone else comments on something you know about as its from your country you turn into a snob ? (without even having tried the food)

Yes Virginia, I have been to Scandinavia and I eat Scandinavian food occasionally here because it is reasonably priced and decent enough. I believe in eating what is good to eat and reasonably priced WHERE YOU LIVE. Would I go out for Scandinavian food in the U.S.? No, never because it is both rare there and there are much better options there even if it wasn't. One city I used to live in had really good Thai food and not too expensive so I ate Thai food often there. Another U.S. city I moved to had really poor Thai food and what was decent was way overpriced. So I didn't eat much Thai food there. Not so complicated really.

To add, yes I do know that some of the most exciting innovative cooking in the world is happening now in Denmark ... but we don't have anything like that here of course and no I haven't tasted any of that as my visit predated that food trend there. It wouldn't be possible to do that there as an emphasis is on fresh and wild foods from that particular CLIMATE.

Mexican food in Thailand also has problems as far as ingredient sourcing but there are reasonable workarounds as there are places in Bangkok doing a reasonably good job with it.

When I do comment on restaurants, as I often do, I will often mention my personal FRAME OF REFERENCE for the food and openly say if I have none. Because it is very relevant. For example the other day I had Sri Lankan food in Bangkok for the first time and I enjoyed it very much but couldn't objectively judge how "authentic" it was. But there seemed to be a crowd of what I assumed to be people of an ethnicity that WOULD know about that food and they seemed to be loving it, so I made the inference that is was probably authentic. I could judge the quality somewhat objectively as to the complexity of the cooking, obvious flaws, quality of ingredients, etc. without knowing what that nationality of food is supposed to taste like though.

A dish that one person might love will not be admired by another person who has a much broader experience of that dish and has tasted much better. Part of it is subjective and part of it is objective as well. We all have our own filters. Can't be helped.

I spent a fortnight in Mexico city and eat in about 30 different places (of various standards and price) and had few things that I liked enough to want to have again. So I suspect that I just dont like it. I dont really like Chinese food (from most Chinese regions: there are exceptions) either.

Indian "food" is a notch or two worse. I was unfortunate to have to stay there for a few months. Had to have a couple of rolls of shit paper with me all day long. The ThaiVisa "experts" who claim to like authentic Indian food have apparently never tried it. They might have been on holiday to Goa or another tourist area and believe what they were served at the hotel was authentic Indian food. More likely they have never put a food in India.

I was in Sri Lanka a couple of times and very much enjoyed the local food. Very tasty and with many interesting flavours. A lot of fish used also, and little meat. I had no digestion troubles whilst there but I am very resilient and rarely have them anywhere.

Cant speak for India, though I know that "Delhi belly" is as common a complaint as "Montezuma's revenge".

You don't have to be American to know Mexican food. I lived and worked in DF as probably many other Europeans have and are perfectly aware what Mexican food tastes like, be worth a trip one time.

Obviously if you lived in DF you know a lot! But the USA and Mexico are joined at the hip. Canadian food ... try finding poutine in the U.S. Not easy!

When a thread is made about Mexican food it is a given that 50% of the posts will be JT expressing his dissatisfaction whether he has been there or not. Anybody who has been on this forum for any length of time knows more about his preferences in regards to Mexican food than they probably know even about their wives. Sometimes he could do us a favor and just not comment if he has no plans to go there. I enjoy some of his posts about food but he really does ramble and rant us into submission on Mexican. I also don't think there is very good Mexican food in Thailand but don't feel the need to post repeatedly the same opinion in every thread ever made on the subject.

When a thread is made about Mexican food it is a given that 50% of the posts will be JT expressing his dissatisfaction whether he has been there or not. Anybody who has been on this forum for any length of time knows more about his preferences in regards to Mexican food than they probably know even about their wives. Sometimes he could do us a favor and just not comment if he has no plans to go there. I enjoy some of his posts about food but he really does ramble and rant us into submission on Mexican. I also don't think there is very good Mexican food in Thailand but don't feel the need to post repeatedly the same opinion in every thread ever made on the subject.

I agree 100% with everything said above. Jingthing, please when it comes to Mexican food, just let it go, leave it alone, walk away!

I agree 100% with everything said above. Jingthing, please when it comes to Mexican food, just let it go, leave it alone, walk away!

Funny that you say that.

By coincidence I did walk by the Swedish Mexican buffet place last night during what you'd expect would be a peak time, but I had already eaten elsewhere.

I thought for a moment I will have a look at the food but then I noticed that there wasn't anyone eating there!

So I didn't even bother to look. Guilty as charged.

Face facts ... why should we try to put lipstick on a pig?

IF the day comes that there is half decent Mexican food in Pattaya I will be praising it.

When Sunrise was open, I had a number of good things to say about some aspects of their offerings but was also justifiably critical of other parts.

I recently ate at Monitas in Bangkok. I enjoyed it quite a lot and do recommend it to others.

No it wasn't top rate by California standards, but if they were in Pattaya, I would go there regularly even though their prices are rather steep. Much better than Sunrise.

I can understand people ragging on me for dissing a place I haven't eaten at and don't even think it's worth it to me to even LOOK at. I get that so I won't whine about that but I think you can stop now. BECAUSE: -- I won't comment on Swedish Mexican buffet again unless I actually look at it. Maybe someday I will look at it. I did look at the buffet once in Diana Plaza. Of course I didn't actually eat there ... yes you can tell a lot by the look, you all know that I'm sure.

Hopefully, dream on, someday we'll get an actually decent Mexican restaurant in town. It could happen! Hope springs eternal.

Cheers.

So we've ended up with no-one having actually been & tasted the food there. I'm in the UK just now, so I'll have to pass. I like the reviews that come with photos of the meal on the plate, along with critique from the reviewer. Anyone?

Funny that you say that.

By coincidence I did walk by the Swedish Mexican buffet place last night during what you'd expect would be a peak time, but I had already eaten elsewhere.

I thought for a moment I will have a look at the food but then I noticed that there wasn't anyone eating there!

So I didn't even bother to look. Guilty as charged.

Face facts ... why should we try to put lipstick on a pig?

IF the day comes that there is half decent Mexican food in Pattaya I will be praising it.

When Sunrise was open, I had a number of good things to say about some aspects of their offerings but was also justifiably critical of other parts.

I recently ate at Monitas in Bangkok. I enjoyed it quite a lot and do recommend it to others.

No it wasn't top rate by California standards, but if they were in Pattaya, I would go there regularly even though their prices are rather steep. Much better than Sunrise.

I can understand people ragging on me for dissing a place I haven't eaten at and don't even think it's worth it to me to even LOOK at. I get that so I won't whine about that but I think you can stop now. BECAUSE: -- I won't comment on Swedish Mexican buffet again unless I actually look at it. Maybe someday I will look at it. I did look at the buffet once in Diana Plaza. Of course I didn't actually eat there ... yes you can tell a lot by the look, you all know that I'm sure.

Hopefully, dream on, someday we'll get an actually decent Mexican restaurant in town. It could happen! Hope springs eternal.

Cheers.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

All I said was that it is a great treat for the small amount of Money you pay. Don`t need to be a Mexican chef to make Mexican food. Great and tasteful food. Can only recommend it.

True that. Most of the Thai and Chinese kitchens in the US are staffed with Mexicans (and misc. Latinos). As long as there is one guy there to crack the whip and knows how things should be done, it doesn't matter where the cooks are from. The same goes for football teams, chain gangs, and construction. :-)

All I said was that it is a great treat for the small amount of Money you pay. Don`t need to be a Mexican chef to make Mexican food. Great and tasteful food. Can only recommend it.

True that. Most of the Thai and Chinese kitchens in the US are staffed with Mexicans (and misc. Latinos). As long as there is one guy there to crack the whip and knows how things should be done, it doesn't matter where the cooks are from. The same goes for football teams, chain gangs, and construction. :-)

Nice assumption, but I don't think so. I came from the California bay area and there is no way you would find authentic ethnic food (outside of Mexican) being cooked by a majority of Latino's. It maybe news to you but there are a lot of other ethnic groups highly represented in the US.

Sorry to be off topic, although I do plan on trying the buffet mentioned by the OP on Friday if I'm still in country.

Has anyone tried Tequila Reef Cantina? I ordered some enchiladas, mini burritos and some nachos through Food Panda the other night. Not bad and definitely a notch up from Sam's or Mike's Mexican.

It's a pub called Bulls something close to Nana, they make good Mexican food.

And yes, I have been to Mexico on multiple occasions, and lived in San Diego and San Jose, both California with plenty of Mexican places.

Ohh yes forgot to mention, fluent in Spanish also.

As I noticed it's mandatory to be before posting on the topic of Mexican food.

:-)

And you like the Mexican food at Bully"s???

Were you a bonified Gold card member at La Taqueria Bell in California while you were there?

Nope.

Pedros in Santa Clara and Chipotle, some other places also.

I say that Bulls is doing a good job by Thai standards, if you know a better place, please enlighten me, because I won't be traveling back to distrito federal solamente por Mexican food.

I plan on going next year tough.

It's a pub called Bulls something close to Nana, they make good Mexican food.

And yes, I have been to Mexico on multiple occasions, and lived in San Diego and San Jose, both California with plenty of Mexican places.

Ohh yes forgot to mention, fluent in Spanish also.

As I noticed it's mandatory to be before posting on the topic of Mexican food.

:-)

Not sure why I was quoted here? Also what is the point of bringing up a place in BKK in a Pattaya thread? Being fluent in Spanish isn't enough these days. You must list by region alphabetically where you have sampled Mexican cuisine. You must also assert that you are aware of Tex Mex, Cali Mex, and know what a south of Mission burrito is.

In addition to these you must give us the hard facts that burritos and tacos are only traditionally eaten in specific states in the North of Mexico. In addition it is obligatory to make some off point juxtapositions of regional fare in Mexico. A comparison of the Thai and Mexican palate and sense of taste should accompany your post and the conclusion of this comparison should lead to your very personalized thesis of why Mexican food is alway going to be doomed to fail in Thailand.

Extra points if you actually pronounce the place Mehico as your are posting.

Not sure why I was quoted here? Also what is the point of bringing up a place in BKK in a Pattaya thread? Being fluent in Spanish isn't enough these days. You must list by region alphabetically where you have sampled Mexican cuisine. You must also assert that you are aware of Tex Mex, Cali Mex, and know what a south of Mission burrito is.

In addition to these you must give us the hard facts that burritos and tacos are only traditionally eaten in specific states in the North of Mexico. In addition it is obligatory to make some off point juxtapositions of regional fare in Mexico. A comparison of the Thai and Mexican palate and sense of taste should accompany your post and the conclusion of this comparison should lead to your very personalized thesis of why Mexican food is alway going to be doomed to fail in Thailand.

Extra points if you actually pronounce the place Mehico as your are posting.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just checking to see if I actually remember correctly myself. You mean 'South of Market' burritos, right?

Sorry to be off topic, although I do plan on trying the buffet mentioned by the OP on Friday if I'm still in country.

Has anyone tried Tequila Reef Cantina? I ordered some enchiladas, mini burritos and some nachos through Food Panda the other night. Not bad and definitely a notch up from Sam's or Mike's Mexican.

If you enjoyed Tequila Reef then you might be satisfied with mentioned buffet. I knew the old owners of TR and they were saddened how their old business no longer was the "in" place to go in this town for Mexican food. I agree about Sams, nothing special, but the concensus is Mike's is the best place in Pattaya for Mexican.

Regardless of the Restaurant or location You will Not find Mexican food that even comes close to What you will find in the west coast of California, Arizona, New Mexico , Texas or even Mexico itself for one simple reason they don't have the ingredients here and if you import them they are to cost prohibitive to create a good priced menu.

Example One: The most popular Mexican food item is the taco, the shell of A taco is made from cornmeal, this country does not have corn and what they call corn is Maize, so the shells you see here are processed preserved filled corn shells with no taste and crack when you bite into them, tacos normally have a soft shell.

Example Two: The sauces that are traditionally used are a green sauce, which contains Tomatillo green chiles, fresh jalapeños, cilantro etc.....None of which you can find here.

Example Three: The most common sauce used in Mexican foods is a red sauce It also has many ingredients which you cannot find here, such as Ancho or Guajillo Chiles, and usually Mole'.

What we are served here are very weakly done copies, which compared to what we have in The states are Very very weak substitutes.

My self I love Mexican food and each year when I go home I return with a suitcase filled with these items and others similar for other recipes, then at least I can have Mexican food when i want it.

I greatly admire those who continue that search for Good Mexican food In the Land of Angels, but as long as the tariffs are so high on the key ingredients it just won't happen.

I myself was on the same quest 8 years ago and tried Tequila Reef, at that time they did not even have a taco on the menu and all there sauces were very over powering with onions, I then did my own research.

Good luck to all!

Just a few corrections:

Maize and corn are the same thing. It is available in Thailand.

Tacos are not made from cornmeal--tortillas (the shells of tacos) are made from masa, which is made from corn by special treatment. Masa is hard to find in Thailand, but you can find it at Makro nowadays.

Cilantro is easily available everywhere in Thailand. Jalapenos are available too, but they are much rarer.

Mole is a sauce unto itself and not an ingredient of red sauce.

Archived