Tex/Mex buffet - Jomtien

KittenKong

Carnitas tacos are all I need.

attachicon.gifcarnitas.jpg

Pork, onions, cilantro on a corn tortilla, squeeze of lime with a splash of salsa.

I am not an aficionado but that looks rather nice.

The many plates of what appeared to be gloop pictured a little earlier in this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/858333-texmex-buffet-jomtien/page-4#entry9966363 do not look so appetising to me.

+1 on the gloop. And do we detect a massive OD of melted cheese that's covering something!

I love Mexican food, from my student days of 10 taco's for a dollar in TJ back in the 1970's, all the way to many of the pseudo Mexican dishes on offer today, almost everywhere, a testament to the desirability of Mexican food.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pork, onions, cilantro on a corn tortilla, squeeze of lime with a splash of salsa.

The many plates of what appeared to be gloop pictured a little earlier in this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/858333-texmex-buffet-jomtien/page-4#entry9966363 do not look so appetising to me.

+1 on the gloop. And do we detect a massive OD of melted cheese that's covering something!

I love Mexican food, from my student days of 10 taco's for a dollar in TJ back in the 1970's, all the way to many of the pseudo Mexican dishes on offer today, almost everywhere, a testament to the desirability of Mexican food.

Too bad for all of you as you are looking at some of the best Tex-Mex in the entire world! The "gloop" is, I think, related to the fact that Tex-Mex is not "healthy. Many, but of course not all, of the dishes are covered in some thick chile sauce or cheese. You do not want to eat it everyday. The "gloop" sauces are, however, wonderful in terms of smell and taste. In the pics, you see chile rellenos, enchiladas (beef and cheese), homemade tacos (not the store bought hideous stuff), fajitas, a giant burrito with cheesy-gloop sauce, beef tamales and more. Actually, I think Kittenkong, Ridgerunner and Chiang Mai would be salivating if they every actually got to eat at Joe. T. Garcias in Ft. Worth, Texas. If you do not like the "gloop," you can always order the "gloopless" fajitas :) Tex-Mex is definitely Mexican food w/ lots of "gloop"--oily, cheesy, messy and delicious.

Too bad for all of you as you are looking at some of the best Tex-Mex in the entire world! The "gloop" is, I think, related to the fact that Tex-Mex is not "healthy. Many, but of course not all, of the dishes are covered in some thick chile sauce or cheese. You do not want to eat it everyday. The "gloop" sauces are, however, wonderful in terms of smell and taste. In the pics, you see chile rellenos, enchiladas (beef and cheese), homemade tacos (not the store bought hideous stuff), fajitas, a giant burrito with cheesy-gloop sauce, beef tamales and more. Actually, I think Kittenkong, Ridgerunner and Chiang Mai would be salivating if they every actually got to eat at Joe. T. Garcias in Ft. Worth, Texas. If you do not like the "gloop," you can always order the "gloopless" fajitas smile.png Tex-Mex is definitely Mexican food w/ lots of "gloop"--oily, cheesy, messy and delicious.

"You do not want to eat it everyday", Mexican people do and so would I, if it were decent quality and not adulterated gloop.

To RabC: I think criticism can be in the form of "positive criticism." If the person on the end of it does not take it personal, he/she can use criticism to change things and make his/her product better--in effect to outcompete the competition. Positive criticism could, in fact, make the person on the end of it rich. The head-stuck-in-the sand competition do not want to hear any criticism and take it all personal....and they end up out of business. It is clear to me that you think it is fine to say good things about a restaurant, but you do not think people should make critical comments (the keep your mouth shut strategy). That is your belief system. My belief system is different on this point. To me, criticism can be a very positive thing if done the right way. Given what is being served over here as "Tex-Mex," I really do wonder if some of the people who are selling the food are actually familiar with the food. That is why I listed some basic ingredients and posted pictures of it. Yes, virtually everything is relative, but there is nothing wrong with asserting an opinion. If we did not do that, ThaiVisa would be extremely boring. If I like it, I will say so. If I do not like it, I will say so. It is not up to me to decide if my opinion matters. And, in the grand scheme of things, nothing matters smile.png

I agree with what you are saying, but I became sick and tired of p*&%ing in the wind, people swore it was good food and that was it. Your one like comes from one of the major protagonists of my campaign for real Indian Food, but then I realised that with the demographic in this town cost comes before quality 95% of the time. There are some superb restaurants here in Pattaya, but as soon as you mention > 800 baht/person they just aren't interested. Personally I just gave in trying to give guidance towards "Good" food as most are looking for quantity and price over quality and you just aren't going to change that in Pattaya.wai2.gif

To RabC: I think criticism can be in the form of "positive criticism." If the person on the end of it does not take it personal, he/she can use criticism to change things and make his/her product better--in effect to outcompete the competition. Positive criticism could, in fact, make the person on the end of it rich. The head-stuck-in-the sand competition do not want to hear any criticism and take it all personal....and they end up out of business. It is clear to me that you think it is fine to say good things about a restaurant, but you do not think people should make critical comments (the keep your mouth shut strategy). That is your belief system. My belief system is different on this point. To me, criticism can be a very positive thing if done the right way. Given what is being served over here as "Tex-Mex," I really do wonder if some of the people who are selling the food are actually familiar with the food. That is why I listed some basic ingredients and posted pictures of it. Yes, virtually everything is relative, but there is nothing wrong with asserting an opinion. If we did not do that, ThaiVisa would be extremely boring. If I like it, I will say so. If I do not like it, I will say so. It is not up to me to decide if my opinion matters. And, in the grand scheme of things, nothing matters smile.png

I agree with what you are saying, but I became sick and tired of p*&%ing in the wind, people swore it was good food and that was it. Your one like comes from one of the major protagonists of my campaign for real Indian Food, but then I realised that with the demographic in this town cost comes before quality 95% of the time. There are some superb restaurants here in Pattaya, but as soon as you mention > 800 baht/person they just aren't interested. Personally I just gave in trying to give guidance towards "Good" food as most are looking for quantity and price over quality and you just aren't going to change that in Pattaya.wai2.gif

By and large the food in Pattaya is not up to standard compared to most reasonably sized western cities. There are a few exceptions but the quality of the ingredients is one of the key problems. Seafood aside the meat and veggies aren't really good enough not matter how you cook them.

By and large the food in Pattaya is not up to standard compared to most reasonably sized western cities. There are a few exceptions but the quality of the ingredients is one of the key problems. Seafood aside the meat and veggies aren't really good enough not matter how you cook them.

I can't speak for Pattaya but the pork, chicken and vegetables in Chiang Mai are excellent, as good as any I have in any country, especially the pork.

I would disagree as I manage quite easily to get quality produce here in Pattaya, to me the problem is cost and that's where the Pattaya Demographic kicks in and cost comes before quality for so many.

Ok I just went to the tex Mex buffet in jomtien

I had a quick look then changed my mind there wasn't that much there to tell the truth

So thought I would wait for the beefeaters one tomorrow, they have a lot more dishes and I know I love the ribs and chicken there

The jomtien one didn't have any bbq chicken and the ribs wasn't out yet

Of course I don't know what is taste like and I wouldn't like to guess

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fajitas are being served at Fraisers Sports Bar in Jomtien. No too bad for a Mexican fix.

Sometimes I will order their pan fried chicken breast for lunch. A huge portion. I take half home and whip out some tacos for dinner. Pick up some corn tortillas, salsa, lettuce, avocado. Nice snack.

Ok just had the buffet in beefeaters agian

It's 345b which is a little bit cheaper then the one in jomtien

There was ribs, chicken wings, Mexican spring roles, 3 types of chillie, Chicken Fajitas, nachos, tacos, roast beef and a lot of over stuff

But no refried beans or guacamole which is a bit of a let down

I am sure it a joke comparied to what you get in Mexico or America but I like it

I had 3 plates!!!

And and now drinking some jim beams black on the beach before I head down soi 6

What a day

Ok just had the buffet in beefeaters agian

It's 345b which is a little bit cheaper then the one in jomtien

There was ribs, chicken wings, Mexican spring roles, 3 types of chillie, Chicken Fajitas, nachos, tacos, roast beef and a lot of over stuff

I didnt even know that this place did a Mexican buffet until I read it in this thread. Friends of mine here who like Mexican food dont seem to know about it either. We live and learn. I will go and look at it some time, though Mexican is not my favourite as I have mentioned.

And so are those Mexican spring rolls a real Mexican dish? I assumed the ones shown in the picture of the other buffet were just a bizarre local anomaly.

No the Beefeaters place isn't "real" Mexican or "real" Tex-Mex either.

No, spring rolls are not remotely Mexican.

Also, BBQ ribs (American style presumably) are not found on menus at Mexican restaurants in Mexico and I've never seen at a Mexican restaurant in the U.S. either.

Maybe that's a Euro thing that the Thai operations decided on adopting. Mexico - USA same same, sure thing.

People shouldn't judge whether they like Mexican food or not from the crap on offer at Pattaya "Mexican" restaurants.

I just watched a show about Anthony Bourdain in Cuba where he had a dish at a "Chinese" restaurant in Cuba called Sechuan chicken.

He commented, the Sechuan chicken is about as Sechuan as I am.

Think of it that way.

It is food.

It is not Mexican food.

No the Beefeaters place isn't "real" Mexican or "real" Tex-Mex either.

No, spring rolls are not remotely Mexican.

Also, BBQ ribs (American style presumably) are not found on menus at Mexican restaurants in Mexico and I've never seen at a Mexican restaurant in the U.S. either.

Maybe that's a Euro thing that the Thai operations decided on adopting.

People shouldn't judge whether they like Mexican food or not from the crap on offer at Pattaya "Mexican" restaurants.

I just watched a show about Anthony Bourdain in Cuba where he had a dish at a "Chinese" restaurant called Sechuan chicken.

He commented, the Sechuan chicken is about as Sechuan as I am.

Think of it that way.

It's food.

It's not Mexican food.

Maybe but still very good

The Mexican spring roles have beef and some spices in them and taste great

I know it ant real Mexican but it's still good

And one of the chillie dishes was lovely

Yes at Beefeaters it was basically a taco bar with many trimmings sadly missing the refried beans and guacamole dip. Still tasty and the hard shell taco shells weren't from a box, not perfectly shaped anyway. The extras like ribs, Mexican spring rolls, twice baked potatoes and beef stew were different.

So it was a small all you can eat rib buffet with a touch of tacos, tortilla chips and Texas chili. The salsa, while not perfect was pretty close. The jalapeno cheese was interesting and the shredded cheese was mozzarella, white cheese. I guess a true cheddar cheese in Thailand isn't popular and is therefore expensive.

Yes at Beefeaters it was basically a taco bar with many trimmings sadly missing the refried beans and guacamole dip. Still tasty and the hard shell taco shells weren't from a box, not perfectly shaped anyway. The extras like ribs, Mexican spring rolls, twice baked potatoes and beef stew were different.

So it was a small all you can eat rib buffet with a touch of tacos, tortilla chips and Texas chili. The salsa, while not perfect was pretty close. The jalapeno cheese was interesting and the shredded cheese was mozzarella, white cheese. I guess a true cheddar cheese in Thailand isn't popular and is therefore expensive.

Sounds like u think the same as me Maybe that's the best we can get in Thailand

I don't know why all these people are going on about how good Mexican food is in there own country If we can't get it here

Do they think Chinese food is the same in America and the uk as it is in China?

Or do the Indians have a dish called bombay potatoes?

And I herd some where that pizza is so different that in Italy they want 2 change the name of it in the rest of the world

Unless they tell me where 2 get real Mexican food I wish they will stop going on about it

I don't know why all these people are going on about how good Mexican food is in there own country If we can't get it here

And I herd some where that pizza is so different that in Italy they want 2 change the name of it in the rest of the world

Unless they tell me where 2 get real Mexican food I wish they will stop going on about it

Here you go. 2 worthy places in Bangkok.

LaMonitas has been mentioned and I agree, good stuff.

Adjacent to Ploenchit BTS Station in Bangkok.

http://www.lamonita.com/#mexican-food

Sabroso is on Suk Soi 23 in Bangkok run by a real Mexican, a character named Jorge. Small place with a few tables.

I had Pazole soup and carnitas tacos recently. Yummy.

https://sabrosobkk.wordpress.com

Sabroso is on Suk Soi 23 in Bangkok run by a real Mexican, a character named Jorge. Small place with a few tables.

Ok thanks I might check them out if I remember next time I am in bkk

Ok thanks I might check them out if I remember next time I am in bkk

Actually is it real Mexican?

there is plenty of Chinese and Indians serving up food all over the world but not the same as it is in there country

there is plenty of Chinese and Indians serving up food all over the world but not the same as it is in there country

If you speak Mexican you can ask Jorge.

Is there really a Mexican language? I was always taught it was Spanish. Seem to be a critic of the food but no idea what language they speak................

If you speak Mexican you can ask Jorge.

Is there really a Mexican language? I was always taught it was Spanish. Seem to be a critic of the food but no idea what language they speak................
Yes I thought that 2

There is Mexican Spanish.

Similar concept as American English, Brazilian Portuguese, etc.

When I traveled there I always carried language books specifically about Mexican style. Big difference from Spain!

I thought that was the case but isn't still called spainish forgive me if I am wrong, I probably am

When I lived in Mérida, Yucatán, México, I was surprised that "Màaya t'àan" (Yucatec Mayan Language) was still alive and being taught at some language schools. Maybe that's a more Mexican language than Spanish? </pedantic mode off>

Archived