Slow internet the last couple of days

thailauren

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Torrents should not be affected since they work through a Mirror Server and larger Financial Institutions bypass the Internet by using Corporate Broadband undersea and satellite networks. The Thai Internet Gateway is always running close to congestion. It is much slower, due to lack of bandwidth than those in the Developed World.

Now with Thai Government oversight of the Network and increased share trading in the Region as a result of the slowdown in China we should not be surprised by sluggish performance over the Web.

Most of the posts say "their internet is slow" but slow to which server, using which ISP? In a network, it does not make sense that all traffic between all nodes of the network is slow. "Slow" only in Thailand or slow to overseas nodes? The first speedtest was through my TOT 10Mb/s to Vientiane, so past the GFW if that is installed but in our neighborhood:

4702613724.png

Now to a server in BKK

4702680858.png

Now to a server close to a big node in Europe, Frankfurt:

4702644211.png

And now to a Comcast server in San Francisco:

4702651141.png

My conclusion is: slow and very slow to overseas, but a GFW cannot be the reason or it has a hole towards Vientiane.

It would be great if more of you guys would post the results of your speedtests to servers in Thailand and overseas and stating your contracted bandwidth and ISP.

Edited by No1

This is the fourth day in a row True has been off line for me. Generally a period of an hour. Facebook has been slow some of the time and Thai Visa has never been really fast for me. Just wondering if it is a problem affecting all the servers. I know during the storm there was a lot of down time for many of the different servers.

It's not the greatest of the greatest firewalls yet. But the cable fault is correct. Supposedly under repair

"In a statement released yesterday, TelBru said its Southeast Asia – Middle East – Western Europe 3 (SEA-ME-WE3) cable system is experiencing a fault along the path to Singapore."

http://subtelforum.com/articles/telbrus-submarine-cable-system-undergoes-repair/

And this was just updated in Wiki. May take a month to resolve.

"On 25 September 2015 at 03:07 UTC, The cable once again experienced problems at SMW3 S3.3 (Perth-BU) at about 1143km from Tuas cable station

(between repeater R346 and R345). [14] ironically this is the same location as where the previous problem occurred, which took 3 months for Indonesian authorities to permit a cable ship in to repair the damage. On 29 September, it was advised that a cable ship had been mobilized to the area [15], to isolate and resolve the fault, with a tentative fix date of mid to late October, however due to the complexity of repairing cables, this time frame was only an estimated time frame for a fix."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEA-ME-WE_3

http://advisories.internode.on.net/item/14379/

Edited by MadMac

This is the fourth day in a row True has been off line for me. Generally a period of an hour. Facebook has been slow some of the time and Thai Visa has never been really fast for me. Just wondering if it is a problem affecting all the servers. I know during the storm there was a lot of down time for many of the different servers.

Trying to understand your question. FB is not a slow page, neither is ThaiVisa. From a server in Singapore it takes about 4.4 seconds to load the starting page. See here: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150929_S8_EFA/1/details/ So I guess you refer to your connection to the servers where they are hosted. The further away, the slower, of course. Thaivisa can be reached quite quickly with faster ping and higher download rates than FB. That is because there are less nodes and less distance to the Thaivisa-server in Singapore than to the FB servers in the US.

The storm and server outages in Thailand cannot affect the speed only to TV or FB but will affect the speed to all pages, also in Thailand. Measure your speed using speedtest.net to servers in Thailand and see if there is anything unusually slow. Then measure the speed to Singapore and US servers and see if it is slower than in other occasions.

FB was offline for an hour yesterday. But what you see then, is not slow but dead.

me right now in chiang dao with 3bb 10M

result/4702827950]4702827950.png[/url]

And Europe

i think it quite good

4702821348.png

I envy you! So internet is not slow for 3BB customers.

maybe because i live in small city not too much people using net in same time

me right now in chiang dao with 3bb 10M

result/4702827950]4702827950.png[/url]

And Europe

i think it quite good

4702821348.png

I envy you! So internet is not slow for 3BB customers.

I did the same test to Nice and I get 2.90 M download and I am supposed to have 15 M connection - 3BB

I did the same test to Nice and I get 2.90 M download and I am supposed to have 15 M connection - 3BB

Those results up there are not normal. 3BB and every other ISP can only guarantee the speed to their own first node and not to any other node further away. So over 10 M to Nice is awesome. But 2.9 is not bad either. You should only get 15 M. Nevertheless, try the 3BB speedtest here http://speedtest.3bb.co.th/ and then see what you get there.

You can do all the speed tests you like,which are not reliable anyway,you just

have to try and connect to a site in U S or Europe to see how slow it is,some of

my pages are loading in bytes, I have a free app, Networx lets you know what

speed you are actually getting when you load sites.

Regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

From Samui the Internet speed is extremely slow on some sites, while others in same country/region are very fast. I’m on TOT, ADSL cable. Speed measured at local proxy is normal, so probably some routing problems. In my end (Samui/Surat Thani) for example Thai Visa works excellent fast, but Facebook (unreachable) slow in periods (could be their server); also other sites unreachable or extremely slow in long periods.

Could you please repeat that but slower ?

have to try and connect to a site in U S or Europe to see how slow it is,some of

Regards Worgeordie

They are reliable if you know how to use them. Of course, you can test the speed to servers in the US and EU and you will get real life results.

Regards Worgeordie

They are reliable if you know how to use them. Of course, you can test the speed to servers in the US and EU and you will get real life results.

ITs been shown over and over how many Thai ISPs cache the data to give the appearance of higher speeds.. My current ISP (3BB) doesnt seem to do this that I can tell but previously (TOT) did..

My internet (TOT) was so slow it was unusable for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, but that's only the second time it's happened to me - the other time was about a year ago and lasted 3 or 4 days.

Sometimes it occurs to me just how much we rely on the internet now - 20 years ago - even 10 years ago - it was just for entertainment.

TOT is definitely getting worse - out from 9pm until I went to sleep around 1.30am last night, on and off again all day today, I've lost connection 5 times since 6.15am. Not very long each time, but a nuisance.

When mine goes off it's everything - FTP, torrents, HTML and VoIP. This is a week now that I know of, possibly another week before that; I hope they get it sorted out soon.