Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

What size top boxes are you guys using? I'm about to order one without seeing it in person.

I'd like the smallest size that will take a large full face helmet. Leaning towards the givi 26 liter.

Shad boxes are better looking but not available in my neck of the woods.

I checked all of the givi boxes at the motoexpo and i didn't see models with a pillow for the passenger. That hinge hurts in the back.

thanks for the replies - just checked out some boxes and tending to Shad as they open and close easier 33 liter 4.8K THB

also don't like the mirrors as they are to slim and are shaking during driving wich leads to unclear pictures - anyone have upgraded them? any advice where to get decent accessories, not the smallish toy ones - proper mirrors with good quality and views?

For the mirrors shaking i would call yamaha, or check the tire pressure first. This shouldn't happen on a new bike.

As long as you buy original honda or yamaha parts it should be good quality, mirrors fit from other models i guess. go to a shop with much stock so you can see it first.

tire pressure is 22 front and 36 rear as recommended by Yamaha (on delivery 18 and 28!) - I think is just a constructing mistake as the bike is very new, can happen, hoping will find a solution (the mirrors/glass are very small as well) but dont expect anything by the dealer.

[/quote

With regard to the mirrors shaking you will find if you investigate more that it is caused by engine vibration and corresponds to a particular RPM about 2000RPM on one I drove, Possible solution could be to fit after market "anti vibration mirror mounts" Mirrors from a PCX are much better but make sure they fit (same tread) first

Edited by yodadg7

What size top boxes are you guys using? I'm about to order one without seeing it in person.

I'd like the smallest size that will take a large full face helmet. Leaning towards the givi 26 liter.

Shad boxes are better looking but not available in my neck of the woods.

i checked the smallest Givi in a shop (no idea about later but could be 26) and my 3/4 Nolan helmet haven't fit in, the medium and above have been fine.

The small Shad tough could take my helmet - I am tending to the medium size....33 l

I now have a Givi but can't say it's any better then a 500 baht one from saphan kwai shops. They all don't lock easy.

Difficult to understand this "they all don't lock easy" I have a Givi box, it's simple to operate, as for quality, cheap Thai boxes are just that cheap and won't last long, had my Givi for years and still looks brand new! Edited by Badrabbit

I now have a Givi but can't say it's any better then a 500 baht one from saphan kwai shops. They all don't lock easy.

Difficult to understand this "they all don't lock easy" I have a Givi box, it's simple to operate, as for quality, cheap Thai boxes are just that cheap and won't last long, had my Givi for years and still looks brand new!

Well i can't lock it easy, 50% of the time it isn't locked so i always have to check it. I'm sure i can develop a better lock which works 100% of the time.

The cheap ones have the same lock as the givi's. Maybe you have another givi then i have. The box is great but it needs a pillow for the passenger, new models have that and the lock should be improved.

5000 baht for a piece of plastic is much i think.

Difficult to understand this "they all don't lock easy" I have a Givi box, it's simple to operate, as for quality, cheap Thai boxes are just that cheap and won't last long, had my Givi for years and still looks brand new!

Well i can't lock it easy, 50% of the time it isn't locked so i always have to check it. I'm sure i can develop a better lock which works 100% of the time.

The cheap ones have the same lock as the givi's. Maybe you have another givi then i have. The box is great but it needs a pillow for the passenger, new models have that and the lock should be improved.

This is my givi lock, so simple and locks everytime!

post-225670-14599292004177_thumb.jpg

thanks for the replies - just checked out some boxes and tending to Shad as they open and close easier 33 liter 4.8K THB

also don't like the mirrors as they are to slim and are shaking during driving wich leads to unclear pictures - anyone have upgraded them? any advice where to get decent accessories, not the smallish toy ones - proper mirrors with good quality and views?

For the mirrors shaking i would call yamaha, or check the tire pressure first. This shouldn't happen on a new bike.

As long as you buy original honda or yamaha parts it should be good quality, mirrors fit from other models i guess. go to a shop with much stock so you can see it first.

tire pressure is 22 front and 36 rear as recommended by Yamaha (on delivery 18 and 28!) - I think is just a constructing mistake as the bike is very new, can happen, hoping will find a solution (the mirrors/glass are very small as well) but dont expect anything by the dealer.

[/quote

With regard to the mirrors shaking you will find if you investigate more that it is caused by engine vibration and corresponds to a particular RPM about 2000RPM on one I drove, Possible solution could be to fit after market "anti vibration mirror mounts" Mirrors from a PCX are much better but make sure they fit (same tread) first

PCX mirrors= rt hand threads, both.

Yamaha; left hand threads on rt hand mirror,

but adapters are available.

This is my givi lock, so simple and locks everytime!

I have this lock

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=givi+lock&rlz=1C1CHWL_nlTH663TH663&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv2umN1_nLAhVLHZQKHUimA3gQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=643#imgrc=2n2ekIvkjrRAvM%3A

But it seems the locks are interchangable? I have to push the lockcatcher inwards, then close the lid and then lock it, but many times the catcher misses the lid so i have to start all over again...

I just don't like it but it might be me. Also in the Holiday Inn hotel Pattaya last week i couldn't open the door with the keycard...i got 3 new keycards and still couldn't do it...how hard can that be? They also had crappy locks imo.

I'm pretty sure the back rest is a common accessorie that is available for every model. They're sold extra. You can also get an led brake light kit for some models which is a nice upgrade.

I think the smallest shad is 26l and the smallest givi is 23. Hopefully the 26 will fit my helmet. I could go 33 but the bigger you go the worse is looks IMO.

I'm pretty sure the back rest is a common accessorie that is available for every model. They're sold extra. You can also get an led brake light kit for some models which is a nice upgrade.

I think the smallest shad is 26l and the smallest givi is 23. Hopefully the 26 will fit my helmet. I could go 33 but the bigger you go the worse is looks IMO.

They all look bad imo but better fit the helmet first...and your raincoat or whatever you keep in the box.

And i wonder if the box is still waterproof if you install that backrest. Of course it's possible but if somchai does it maybe it will leak.

If you choose the right size box and color match it, I think they don't look too bad on a scooter. Going to try my best anyways.

Guy near me has a pcx with a huge top box plus side saddles. Looks ridiculous. I know, it's just a scooter... But I don't want to vomit every time I lay eyes on it.

I put a 28L? Givi box from Yamaha,it was 1800B. Came with the base plate and I tried a full face helmet in it,no problem.

I think it was meant for a R15/R3,not too big,but I fitted on a Lifan. It has Yamaha stickers,but is a Givi.

post-99099-14599445291723_thumb.jpg

Edited by MAZ3
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't see why anyone would buy a PCX now. I'm sure Honda are busy designing a catch up model for next year. The nmax is the clear winner right now.

Because the PCX have bigger wheels?

What difference do the huge wheels on the PCX make? would much rather have slightly smaller wheels with bigger tires, 10,000 kms now on my NMAX and no problem having slightly smaller wheels!

• Like 2

FYI. Last year in Indonesia, they sold 122,000 units of NMax while the PCX only 3300 units. Pricing is a factor but give the NMax a few more years and PCX will have serious problems.

Yamaha got it right with NMax. It is priced lower and the spare parts are significantly cheaper. Yamaha wanted this scooter to be an everyday use.

Edited by thai4me
  • Like 2

If anyone is complaining about the harsh rear suspension, you are not alone. It is a universal experience. Kayaba in indonesia makes the Zeto specially for the NMax. It has better rebound than the original. I am 110kg and it works perfectly for me.

7ac01a01d77866d7a0dea60f53196022.jpg01cfae065e37bd463cbf86e966c28178.jpg

Edited by thai4me

FYI. Last year in Indonesia, they sold 122,000 units of NMax while the PCX only 3300 units. Pricing is a factor but give the NMax a few more years and PCX will have serious problems.

Yamaha got it right with NMax. It is priced lower and the spare parts are significantly cheaper. Yamaha wanted this scooter to be an everyday use.

But NMax are manufactured in Indonesia right? And the PCX in Thailand....

How much cheaper are an NMax compared to the PCX?

But NMax are manufactured in Indonesia right? And the PCX in Thailand....

How much cheaper are an NMax compared to the PCX?

its 25,000baht cheaper in both indonesia and malaysia.
  • Like 1

There is only one thing I am not to keen on with the NMax and that is the whine from the rear when driving, I assume it's the same with all NMax but haven't driven another one to confirm this.

New bikes are known to have a whining sound coming from the front axle. The part where the rubber bushing makes contact with the metal axle. A drop of lube will get rid of it. It disappears when it wears out.

There is only one thing I am not to keen on with the NMax and that is the whine from the rear when driving, I assume it's the same with all NMax but haven't driven another one to confirm this.

New bikes are known to have a whining sound coming from the front axle. The part where the rubber bushing makes contact with the metal axle. A drop of lube will get rid of it. It disappears when it wears out.

I've done just short of 11,000 kms now and have always had the whine which is definitely from the rear, I'll ask at the next oil change if it's normal on the NMax.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to purchase a PCX but now having second thoughts..

Can someone give me the drive out prices on the PCX and the NMax?

The price I've just been given in Sattahip was 86,400 with insurance for the PCX.

Edited by longstebe