Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

I'm about to purchase a PCX but now having second thoughts..

Can someone give me the drive out prices on the PCX and the NMax?

The price I've just been given in Sattahip was 86,400 with insurance for the PCX.

It will obviously vary by dealer but last year i paid 82,000 for an NMAX in Pattaya on the road with 2 years theft insurance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
81,800bt out the door with 2 yrs insurance for a new 2015 in Pattaya.  Give me the ABS over Combi-brakes anyday.
Do you really want to use your front brake on gravel and water?????

The ABS brakes on the NMax are superb, why anyone would buy the PCX over the NMax is something I can't understand, better seat, more leg room etc!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2016 at 9:41 PM, Badrabbit said:

There is only one thing I am not to keen on with the NMax and that is the whine from the rear when driving, I assume it's the same with all NMax but haven't driven another one to confirm this.

Of the 4 I have rented in the past 2 years, they all had the rear end whine.  Another issue is the handle bar vibration. At lower speeds, the mirrors vibrate so as to give blurred vision.  The ABS,  front and rear more than make up for these two issues.

On September 28, 2559 BE at 10:56 AM, beachump said:

81,800bt out the door with 2 yrs insurance for a new 2015 in Pattaya.  Give me the ABS over Combi-brakes anyday.

Do you really want to use your front brake on gravel and water?????

Sure, if necessary,.

Front is where the weight is transferred,

hence more stopping force available.

Just don't cross the line and break traction.

Easier said than done,

especially without a lot of practice.

Of the 4 I have rented in the past 2 years, they all had the rear end whine.  Another issue is the handle bar vibration. At lower speeds, the mirrors vibrate so as to give blurred vision.  The ABS,  front and rear more than make up for these two issues.

I was told the whine would go eventually, 16k now and still there, it's okay, no vibration though and the brakes are very very good.,

On 10/09/2016 at 4:24 PM, beachump said:

Have it been on the market for 2 years the Nmax?

On 9/29/2015 at 3:03 PM, Longtooth said:

Sat on the N Max at the dealers yesterday. It felt better than the PCX for static riding position. More room for my 6'. I was told 67,000 in Chiang Rai. 117 k/hr tested on U tube, stock. Anti-lock works well according to most reports. I would vote for N Max no question. Off the track a little, I would pull off the silly little windscreen and put a modified small basket in front, like I did with my Yamaha Spark 135, which is still going great after 50,000 + km.

Don't believe those figures. U tube is full of exaggerated claims, like 120k stock for PCX 150- factory speed-limited to 110k, which I can confirm 100%. Price for Yamaha- 78,200 in ad above, also what I was quoted in Chiang Rai. Bought a PCX 150 for 75,500 at Kitwara.

Seat is fine, wide but much improved by double-skin Hentai mesh cover from CR Saddlebags- 550 Baht. Ride is 500% more comfortable than my Yamaha Mio, replaced clunky exhaust with Japanese S/S for 4,900 Baht only, it's half the weight sounds good and boosts off-the-line speed a lot.

Liked the Yam N MAX but the steering bars are 'scooterish' where the PCX chromes look much better. Yam is also very plasticky, IMO.

Didn't ride it 'cos the shop wouldn't let me- so they lost the sale. DELETED

Can hardly fault the PCX- the horn button is hard to find & the grips get greasy when wet. Front disc is adequate but I'll get a bigger after-market one with better grip. Storage is excellent. Red with gold wheels, lovely thing! Came with Dunlop rubber- surprised!

Would not have the Forza, too heavy, bulky and expensive- CB 300F better buy.

WHY is image NOT in clour??

PCX150 STBD.jpg

Edited by seedy
Derogatory
  • Like 1

My Yamaha Elegance is now over 7 years old.  Other than the occasional light bulb or battery replacement it's been almost maintenance free.  It has never failed me.  I got it up to 117 kph around 2 weeks ago.   However, I nearly had an accident a few days ago.  I'm turning right with my indicators on.  Thai guy with no helmet doesn't look and drives right at me while I'm making the turn.  I wrench the bike hard to my left while hitting both brakes, which is of course a no no.  I avoid the collision by about one foot.  But another Thai driver is following him and he doesn't stop either, but by this time I'm far enough over to the left, but my bike is going down.  So I wrench my Elegance sharply upwards and to the right and I"m fast enough and strong enough to keep it off the pavement.  As it is, I cut up my lower leg a bit and my knee due to my leg jamming up against the cowling.  

This is my second wake up call.  The first was when I broke my clavicle while test driving a Honda CBR 250 to Rayong and back.  That CBR did not have ABS.  If it had, today my clavicle would still be intact.  As for my Elegance's recent narrow escape from the pavement, part of the reason my bike remained undamaged might be the Pirelli tires which have a very aggressive tread that extends pretty far down the side of the tire compared to other tread designs.  I think I also owe this narrow escape to luck, and also to the fact I was strong  and quick enough to make the bike do what I wanted it to do.

But today I tried to buy the new Yamaha NMAX.  I just bought my girlfriend a new Honda 150 PCX, in red, which is gorgeous.  But for me, the superior braking of the NMAX is the raison d'etre for wanting to trade in my beloved Elegance.  However, the offers were not good enough so it looks like I'll be staying with the Elegance for a lot longer than I had been planning on.   So I think I'm being completely impartial when I rate the Honda PCX 150 to be somewhat superior to the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135 for most people and the Yamaha NMAX to be the new king of the hill.  

9 minutes ago, jackcorbett said:

My Yamaha Elegance is now over 7 years old.  Other than the occasional light bulb or battery replacement it's been almost maintenance free.  It has never failed me.  I got it up to 117 kph around 2 weeks ago.   However, I nearly had an accident a few days ago.  I'm turning right with my indicators on.  Thai guy with no helmet doesn't look and drives right at me while I'm making the turn.  I wrench the bike hard to my left while hitting both brakes, which is of course a no no.  I avoid the collision by about one foot.  But another Thai driver is following him and he doesn't stop either, but by this time I'm far enough over to the left, but my bike is going down.  So I wrench my Elegance sharply upwards and to the right and I"m fast enough and strong enough to keep it off the pavement.  As it is, I cut up my lower leg a bit and my knee due to my leg jamming up against the cowling.  

This is my second wake up call.  The first was when I broke my clavicle while test driving a Honda CBR 250 to Rayong and back.  That CBR did not have ABS.  If it had, today my clavicle would still be intact.  As for my Elegance's recent narrow escape from the pavement, part of the reason my bike remained undamaged might be the Pirelli tires which have a very aggressive tread that extends pretty far down the side of the tire compared to other tread designs.  I think I also owe this narrow escape to luck, and also to the fact I was strong  and quick enough to make the bike do what I wanted it to do.

But today I tried to buy the new Yamaha NMAX.  I just bought my girlfriend a new Honda 150 PCX, in red, which is gorgeous.  But for me, the superior braking of the NMAX is the raison d'etre for wanting to trade in my beloved Elegance.  However, the offers were not good enough so it looks like I'll be staying with the Elegance for a lot longer than I had been planning on.   So I think I'm being completely impartial when I rate the Honda PCX 150 to be somewhat superior to the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135 for most people and the Yamaha NMAX to be the new king of the hill.  

Scooters now are the king of nufink...Unless you are a '60's mod...........:tongue:

50 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Honda SH 150i is worth looking at but a bit more expensive. I have long legs so like the added height. 

I drove one for a few kilometers and although it is a very nice bike and enjoys some outstanding reviews, it does not begin to have the precise steering feel as my Elegance, especially since I put on those oversize Pirelli tires.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andre47 said:

Is this bike still for sale in Thailand? I think not...

Yes, it is but very few dealers actually stock it. The seat is too high for the average Thai so sales were not as good as anticipated (terrible). I have long legs so it is fine for me. I found the other models too low and cramped with my knees almost banging on the handle bars. The dealer where I bought mine still sells them. But last time I asked, sales were very few and far between. Their stocks are shipped in from Vietnam.   

Last week, i have bought a Yamaha Nmax 155cc Abs, the bike is perfect, i m 188 cm. 

i will see during differents trips in thailand if the bike is enough good for me...waiting new models on 2017 like the new scooter Honda ADV 750 cc or new Honda CB500X ? 

In France, i ride a Yamaha TMAX 500 cc

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bought new PCX 150 after Yamaha dealer refused to let me test-ride the N-Max. Physically no real difference I could discern BUT- brakes on N-MAX are VASTLY superior to PCX, also has ABS [discs front + rear]. Honda noticeably smoother, N-Max slight engine vibration thru handlebars. N-MAX better bang-for-buck, no question. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, papa al said:

If you never rode the NMax, how you know it's better and

then why you buy poor bang-for -buck PCX.?

1. I rode a friend's N-Max about 6 months after buying the PCX!

2. Paid 75,500 for my PCX; cash discount. N-Max 78,000+ 

Told by many riders of both Honda + Yamaha that Honda has better 

reputation/ reliability and resale. Honda better-looking, IMO. 

1. I rode a friend's N-Max about 6 months after buying the PCX!

2. Paid 75,500 for my PCX; cash discount. N-Max 78,000+ 

Told by many riders of both Honda + Yamaha that Honda has better 

reputation/ reliability and resale. Honda better-looking, IMO. 

• 2 months later...
On 14/03/2017 at 0:31 AM, JIMJFOX said:

Honda noticeably smoother, N-Max slight engine vibration thru handlebars.

That's bad news about vibration, I guess it's not much or we would hear about it more, can those who ride both of these a lot give more feedback please....! (I think you get some vibration on all bikes, so it's really a comparison,  I've only ridden PCX and that's a bit front-heavy hence maybe why less vibration felt....) 

3 minutes ago, Agusts said:

That's bad news about vibration, I guess it's not much or we would hear about it more, can those who ride both of these a lot give more feedback please....! (I think you get some vibration on all bikes, so it's really a comparison,  I've only ridden PCX and that's a bit front-heavy hence maybe why less vibration felt....) 

The vibration of the N-max has been mentioned on this forum by about every N-max owner.

A good friend of mine bought an Nmax right after I bought mine.  He loves it so much that he sent his PCX150 upcountry to be used by the family of his GF.  But--last week he told me he felt his bike had a little vibration problem so we swapped bikes to see if there was a difference. He felt my bike was much smoother.  Still, he does not find the vibration to be all that annoying--it's just something he's noticed.  

I feel my Nmax is a bit rough at extremely low parking lot speeds, especially when I compare it to my gf's PcX 150.  But it's no big deal.  Overall my Nmax 155 is simply out of this world.  In my opinion it is far in front of everything else as the absolute finest all around bike one can have for the Pattaya area AT ANY PRICE.  My gf's PCX 150 is a nice machine, but my Yamaha Nmax is a Porsche sports car in comparison.  

In my opinion it's been totally engineered from the ground up to take advantage of its 13 inch wheels.  As everyone knows here I am not a fan of smaller wheels.  I love those 18 inch wheels on my Yamaha SR400.  But the Nmax is a different breed of cat.  I believe Yamaha paid extremely close attention to detail and balanced this machine just right for the smaller wheels.  The struts are just right that strengthen the chassis.  Then there's the superlative brakes.  Disks on both front and rear with anti lock.  (which is unprecedented for an 80,000 baht "scooter type machine"  (it's an underbone , not a scooter per se)  So the smaller diameter wheels are able to initiate a turn very quickly.  And the driver knows he's got fabulous brakes so he tends to be braver going through turns.   The bike is extremely responsive and agile with loads of usable power on tap.  So the driver simply tends to go faster in all conditions.

I drove my friend's Aerox which he loves (of course).  It's got massive (for a 150 c.c. underbone bike) front and rear 14 inch tires that make the Nmax's tires look rather small by comparison. Compared to my Nmax the bike seems more planted.  You can feel those heavier wheels at work, which is the way things should be.  But the Nmax really wants to dart from side to side and turn turn turn while still being very stable.  And, unlike the Honda Click I test drove a couple of years ago and put my results on You Tube, the Nmax with its 13 inch wheels is MUCH MUCH more stable at 100 kph and above.  The (Click has 14 inch wheels but its tires are narrower).  

Edited by jackcorbett
I needed to an a word
  • Like 2