Bangkok electrician

bbz404

Dear Forum,

Anyone know a reliable electrician that could install some grounding in an 11th floor condo unit in Din Daeng? We've bought a washing machine and I would feel safer if it were properly grounded. And while at it, he could ground the whole place so we will not feel a shock every time we touch the fridge or microwave with moist hands or try our luck every time we use the water heater in the shower :)

If he could understand some basic English, it would also be very helpful.

Thanks for any advice.

Is there anything at all grounded in your condo? If not then they 'll have to make a whole new cable down to the ground.

Just check how many cables are coming IN the fusebox from outside. 2 means no ground, 3 means there is a groundcable in your condo. But most electrical equipment has no groundconnector at all in Thailand because they don't need it here. Mai ben rai and so.....

I will check that tonight. The building is around 18 years old, I cannot believe there was no grounding installed at all.

As for electrical equipment, you're right. My Samsung fridge came with only a 2-pin plug and a small grounding installation at the frame. The Samsung Washing machine has a 3-pin plug. Funny thing is, that I only have 2-pin outlets in the whole place. So we connect to the only outlet where the owner just drilled a third hole into the outlet clap2.gif

I will check that tonight. The building is around 18 years old, I cannot believe there was no grounding installed at all.

As for electrical equipment, you're right. My Samsung fridge came with only a 2-pin plug and a small grounding installation at the frame. The Samsung Washing machine has a 3-pin plug. Funny thing is, that I only have 2-pin outlets in the whole place. So we connect to the only outlet where the owner just drilled a third hole into the outlet clap2.gif

You better tell the owner you get shocks from the electric equipment and tell him to fix it.

Check the waterheater in the bathroom as well, if it has 2 wires it's very dangerous. And the connectors with 3 wires still only use 2 in most cases. Even German brands like Bosch or japanese like Makita only use 2 in Thailand which isn't allowed in the 1st world.

This is Thailand, safety who cares.

Best way is to get a certified electrician from EUrope or Japan here and let him do many jobs from all forummembers.

You won't find a good thai electrician, i mean a certified one by EU-standards. That is North europe to be more precise.

This question comes up all the time and if i had kids here or was employed by a multinational i would order them to pay for it or i wouldn't take the job.

I lived in an expensive condo for years between pilots and more hi-so's. My waterheater was from that brand (i forgot it) with the sticker "german technology" and also a western name. It exploded while i turned on the hotwater in the shower, right infront of me.

It wasn't even wet or something. Most waterheaters though have a safety switch, new models do.

Yes it seems the box is grounded but tape is not allowed in the EU.

So you will need new wires all through the condo and new outlets to have it grounded. Also another main breaker who is connected to the ground. But it's mainly bathroom and kitchen who have to be grounded and of course all your equipment needs a connector with 3 wires but it is possible.

What does that M5 mean? Is that a 5 amp breaker? 3 of 5 amp plus 1 from 6 with extra thick wires? then the main breaker who can handle 10 amp in total?

Something is not right here. That 6M will be for the aircon i guess, or the waterheater.

I don't know exactly what M5 means but I guess amp yes. The M6 is the water heater. The two aircon units are on an M5. We sometimes have outages on those in the middle of the night. Yes I agree somethings not right, it's the Thai way of installation ?

You really should have this topic moved to the electrical forum to get some input on exactly what you need to have done. Once you know that, you can start looking for the electrician.

Sophon

How Do I do that?

You can contact one of the moderators by PM, but the easiest way would probably be to click the "report" link under your post, and ask to have the topic moved.

Sophon

You really should have this topic moved to the electrical forum to get some input on exactly what you need to have done. Once you know that, you can start looking for the electrician.

Sophon

How Do I do that?

You can contact one of the moderators by PM, but the easiest way would probably be to click the "report" link under your post, and ask to have the topic moved.

Sophon

Ok done. Thx

My waterheaters have a C32 each.

Small aircon for bedroom C20

Big aircon C32

You must have very small aircons and small condo if it can have 2 on one breaker. That's probably why it goes off at night sometimes. At least it works or it wouldn't go off.smile.png

We have an earthleak breaker installed, maybe that's what the C stands for?

My kitchen has a 40 amp breaker for the separate fusebox there.

The main fusebox has 14 breakers, kitchen has 5.

HACO brand sells extensioncables with many outlets who have a separate fuse, they can be 2000 or 2500 watt and look of good quality. Never buy cheap extensioncables in thailand, i had several on fire in the past. Also in the condo i used an electric oven which put the walloutlet into smoking/flaming.

Be carefull here.....

Our OP needs to address a number of issues:-

1. Install some form of earth-leakage device (Safe-T-Cut) - Most Urgent
  2. Check if that apparent earth really is one - difficult without test equipment
  3. Replace his outlets and actually connect the 3rd pin
  4. Earth his water heater

1. Can be sorted by a visit to HomePro who will also have an installation option - take it.

Whilst the sparks from 1. is there ask if he can check that 'earth', you can also ask him if he has a 'friend' who can do the other stuff.

Our OP needs to address a number of issues:-

1. Install some form of earth-leakage device (Safe-T-Cut) - Most Urgent
  2. Check if that apparent earth really is one - difficult without test equipment
  3. Replace his outlets and actually connect the 3rd pin
  4. Earth his water heater

1. Can be sorted by a visit to HomePro who will also have an installation option - take it.

Whilst the sparks from 1. is there ask if he can check that 'earth', you can also ask him if he has a 'friend' who can do the other stuff.

Hi Crossy,

Thanks for your advice. I will have to talk to the owner and convince him that I want additional safety installed. I don't know what he will say regarding the new cables and outlets to be installed.

Anyway, this weekend I will go to Home Pro and look/ask around. I have one not far from me.

My waterheaters have a C32 each.

Small aircon for bedroom C20

Big aircon C32

You must have very small aircons and small condo if it can have 2 on one breaker. That's probably why it goes off at night sometimes. At least it works or it wouldn't go off.smile.png

We have an earthleak breaker installed, maybe that's what the C stands for?

My kitchen has a 40 amp breaker for the separate fusebox there.

The main fusebox has 14 breakers, kitchen has 5.

HACO brand sells extensioncables with many outlets who have a separate fuse, they can be 2000 or 2500 watt and look of good quality. Never buy cheap extensioncables in thailand, i had several on fire in the past. Also in the condo i used an electric oven which put the walloutlet into smoking/flaming.

Be carefull here.....

The aircons are fairly small yes.

For the other breakers, one is for the water heater, one for all the outlets and one for the lights. Neither the two stove electrical plates, fridge, (now washing machine), microwave, oven or Entertainment has its own dedicated breaker. In 6 months, maybe it'll be time to move whistling.gif