Less than 6 months remaining on passport - OK to enter Thailand?

My aunt/uncle are coming to visit Thailand later this week, for around 2-3 weeks, but just noticed that their passports expire in mid Feb (~4 1/2 months time). By the time they leave, they'll still have 120+ days remaining.

I remember reading that you must have 6 months remaining on your passport to enter a country, but also remember reading a newspaper report which said it was actually 3 months. I'm thinking that they might say 6 months, but enforce 3?

Please advise me whether you think they'll have any problems entering Thailand.

The official line is a passport must be valid for six months beyond the date of arrival.

They might not get as far as LOS as the airline might refuse them boarding or, alternatively, turned back at BKK by immigration.

Or, they could get lucky.

In this situation you pays your money and takes your choice.

Entering the information for US/UK at this site shows 6 months validity required. Also, the US Embassy, US State dept and UK.gov website indicates the same 6 months. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

There was a topic in 2013 but seems a bit confusing - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626707-new-regulation-does-not-require-6-months-validity-for-passport/

A passport only needs to valid for the length of stay for most western countries. Basically if they can enter visa exempt this rule applies.

Enter the required info here tor info from the IATA database base. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Many topics about this on the forum and reports be people entering with less than 6 months.

Entering the information for US/UK at this site shows 6 months validity required. Also, the US Embassy, US State dept and UK.gov website indicates the same 6 months. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

There was a topic in 2013 but seems a bit confusing - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626707-new-regulation-does-not-require-6-months-validity-for-passport/

Did you misread the info from the IATA database you get from the Star Alliance site. I used NZ because if I remember correctly that is where Sly is from.

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports issued to nationals of New Zealand must be valid

for the period of intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

Hello,

This sounds risky to me, to be honest. I do hope you won't be refused boarding.

Good luck.

Why do you think it would be risky. Many people have traveled to and entered the country with a passport with less than 6 months remaining on it.

• Like 1

Hello Joe,

I said it would sound risky to me because not all but many have traveled abroad and

entered the country with a passport with less than 6 months left on it so I wonder if

you can make it 100% for sure. It would be more than a nightmare if the OP's family

should be denied boarding in NZ or entry into Thailand. You never know.

Edited by Too

Did you misread the info from the IATA database you get from the Star Alliance site. I used NZ because if I remember correctly that is where Sly is from.

Indeed I did. The formatting of the page, fragmented sentences made me misread it. The 6 months if on a emergency travel document. And was guessing on the nationality. Late at night for me, that's my excuse. biggrin.png

- Passports issued to nationals of United Kingdom must be

valid for the period of intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

- Emergency and temporary passports issued to nationals of

United Kingdom must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from

the arrival date.

Several years ago I actually inquired of MOF whether or not I could enter Thailand

when I got just more than 6 months left on my passport and exit from the kingdom

when I had less than 6 months left on it. They answered that I could as long as I had

at least 6 months left on it when I entered the country. It's at the discretion of the IO

whether or not they allow you entry into the country, though.

Hello Joe,

I said it would sound risky to me because not all but many have traveled abroad and

entered the country with a passport with less than 6 months left on it so I wonder if

you can make it 100% for sure. It would be more than a nightmare if the OP's family

should be denied boarding in NZ or entry into Thailand. You never know.

Not everybody can enter with less than 6 months. Those from some countries must have 6 months.

The info that I posted is from the IATA and airlines have access to that same info. The IATA got that info from authorities in Thailand. Some airlines have their reservation systems tied to that database and will refuse the purchase of a ticket if a person does not qualify for entry.

Edit: When you asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA not MOF) about passport validity did they ask which country you were from. I suspect you got a generic answer they tell everybody.

I had a similar situation recently with Singapore Airlines, where the ground check-in crew, including the Station Supervisor where going to deny me boarding because their lack of training/incompetence where at odds with the actual data on the Star Alliance database. Rather than them apologize/loss of face for my 40 minute delay and interrogation, I signed a Waiver Of Liability which releases the airline of the cost of repatriation if you are ultimately denied entry into the destination country. If your parents are given any grief at check-in, tell them to ask for the Waiver of Liability.

The Airlines are only bothered about costs to them and their bottom line.

As they are entering Thailand visa exempt, Immigration should not be an issue.

If it was Hong Kong and the excellent way they process entry clearance, i'd be a little more concerned.

I had a similar situation recently with Singapore Airlines, where the ground check-in crew, including the Station Supervisor where going to deny me boarding because their lack of training/incompetence where at odds with the actual data on the Star Alliance database. Rather than them apologize/loss of face for my 40 minute delay and interrogation, I signed a Waiver Of Liability which releases the airline of the cost of repatriation if you are ultimately denied entry into the destination country. If your parents are given any grief at check-in, tell them to ask for the Waiver of Liability.

If it was Hong Kong and the excellent way they process entry clearance, i'd be a little more concerned.

Are Waivers Of Liability generally available from airlines other than Singapore and at airports across this great planet of ours other than the one from which peterjackson flew to Thailand (Changi?)? If so, they might also be the answer for those travelling on a one-way ticket to Thailand who might be threatened with denial of boarding by a jobsworth airline check-in assistant because of (e.g.) the lack of a suitable tourist visa in their passport. Would definitely strike me as better than the alternative option of purchasing an onward flight ticket in the region, which in all probability would not be used.

Edited by OJAS

Are Waivers Of Liability generally available from airlines other than Singapore and at airports across this great planet of ours other than the one from which peterjackson's parents will be flying to Thailand? If so, they might also be the answer for those travelling on a one-way ticket to Thailand who might be threatened with denial of boarding by a jobsworth airline check-in assistant because of (e.g.) the lack of a suitable tourist visa in their passport. Would certainly be better than the alternative option of purchasing an onward flight ticket in the region, which in all probability would not be used.

My situation was different to the OP's and it was me who was flying.

What I was pointing out, is the existence of the Waiver of Liability.

When I read the Waiver, which I was required to sign and wasn't given a copy of, it was a generic document, presumably supplied/approved by IATA which the ground crew wrote in the carriers name, in my case Singapore Airlines.

A copy is then apparently faxed to your destination airport in case repatriation becomes necessary.

Strangely, I wasn't asked if I had the funds to pay for the repatriation.

Are Waivers Of Liability generally available from airlines other than Singapore and at airports across this great planet of ours other than the one from which peterjackson's parents will be flying to Thailand? If so, they might also be the answer for those travelling on a one-way ticket to Thailand who might be threatened with denial of boarding by a jobsworth airline check-in assistant because of (e.g.) the lack of a suitable tourist visa in their passport. Would certainly be better than the alternative option of purchasing an onward flight ticket in the region, which in all probability would not be used.

My situation was different to the OP's and it was me who was flying.

What I was pointing out, is the existence of the Waiver of Liability.

When I read the Waiver, which I was required to sign and wasn't given a copy of, it was a generic document, presumably supplied/approved by IATA which the ground crew wrote in the carriers name, in my case Singapore Airlines.

A copy is then apparently faxed to your destination airport in case repatriation becomes necessary.

Strangely, I wasn't asked if I had the funds to pay for the repatriation.

Hopefully Waivers Of Liability are, indeed, the way to go generally for those seeking to fly to LOS on a one-way ticket in anticipation of a 30-day stamp in their passport on arrival. But perhaps the experts on here could confirm (or otherwise).

Ok they aren't going to take the risk of being denied entry, so are going to apply for an emergency passport tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can get new ones before their flight.

There is no risk.

They are perfectly legal and within the rules.

Why waste time and money when there is no need?

• Like 1

Emirates in Dubai refused me a boarding pass for that. Get a new one and avoid disappointment

They were wrong. If you had pushed them on it They would of looked up the info available from the IATA database and found out they were wrong.

I made a trip to here once with a passport that had less 4 months left on it. No questions asked anywhere. I did not even realize I had done it until a few years later when the discussion came up on this forum and I checked my old passport.

I just had the same.(Dutch passport - working in China-going to LOS with nearly expired passport) Checked with embassy and it was OK to enter if return ticket booked and pasport valid until return ticket date.This is not the same for all countries and not even for alll EU countries

Ok they aren't going to take the risk of being denied entry, so are going to apply for an emergency passport tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can get new ones before their flight.

There is no risk.

They are perfectly legal and within the rules.

Why waste time and money when there is no need?

I dont know if this has changed.. but about 10 years ago an airline prevented my brother boarding when he had under 6 months but longer than the duration of visit..

I think it was china air and was leaving Amsterdam..

Regarding to your question, according to our passport validity regulation your passport must have at least 6 months validity from the date you are expecting to enter Thailand. Thank you
Yours Sincerely,
Visa Section
Royal Thai Embassy
110 Molesworth Street
PO Box 12247
Thorndon
Wellington

my friend was denied to check in at Manchester with Emirates about 3 years ago...the lad on the check in told him to go home and get a new passport asap as there was no way he was allowing my friend a boarding pass...my friend had 4 months left on his passport.....any way at the next check in desk there was an older guy working on the desk...he got involved and he asked a few question and my friend told him he was only staying 3 weeks in thailand...after 2 phone calls and i dont know who to....my friend was allowed to check in and fly to bkk....no questions asked or problems at bkk