New Labour Permanent Secretary vows to increase jobs for Thais

webfact

New Labour Permanent Secretary vows to increase jobs for Thais

BANGKOK, 1 October 2015 (NNT) - The new Permanent Secretary of Labour said upon his arrival at his office today that he is determined to reduce the unemployment rate in Thailand.

M.L. Boondarik Smithi has vowed to follow government policies in his capacity as the Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Labour.

His agenda included ensuring job availability for Thais, setting up a labor database within three months, raising standards for skilled workers, eradicating human trafficking, as well as assuring workers’ rights and workplace safety.

M.L. Boondarik added that the ministry would be able to develop effective labour policies when the database had all the information needed to improve Thailand's workforce.

He claimed that changes currently being made to the Social Security Act would be welcomed by both formal and informal workers in the country.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-01 footer_n.gif

The present generation of unemployed, whatever the real number is, seem to looking for a postion of importance that pays a salary in the cabinets range. They seem to think this should include tuk tuk driver , jet ski manager (my term) or any things that brings sweat to the brow.

Find the skilled labor group and raise their standardsw by all means, while searching hill and dale for this near extent group, kick the layabouts off their bacside and either enlarge the number of gunts in miltary orreplace the machines being abused by untrained clo3wns and go back to manual labor. Much less destructive and more inspection time before the cover up of a half arsed job.

When i hear a promise from a member of parliament, especially a Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Labour, who is willing to state that his purpose is to thin out jobs to streamline and make systems more efficient, then i will be ready to listen.

​Until that day, i hope they understand that it doesn't take 4 people to do the job that 1 can handle correctly in the first place, no reason to include more steps than are necessary in a process just to parade ridiculous figures such as 0.5% unemployment.

Within a 100 meter radius of Sukhumvit -Asoke intersection I visited a cafe and two restaurants recently. At the cafe and the pizza restaurant more than half of the front of house staff were from Philippines and Vietnam. When I asked the Thai managers why was this so..."cannot get Thai staff who can speak English and will work for the salary offered for the job' - visited a mid-high range restaurant in the same area - > 70% foreign staff in front of house. Same reason given. The unemployment statistics in Thailand are a fiction. There are loads of unemployed not registered. Bring on the launch of the AEC and see what happens then.

I don't understand Thai unemployment numbers. I can't drive into any town or down any busy road without seeing rows of tiny businesses, stalls, carts and so on. Are these people "employed?"

Maybe they refer to that as the gray area, as it's anyone's guess how many are working and how many are loafing around.

I don't understand Thai unemployment numbers. I can't drive into any town or down any busy road without seeing rows of tiny businesses, stalls, carts and so on. Are these people "employed?"

Maybe they refer to that as the gray area, as it's anyone's guess how many are working and how many are loafing around.
You can be sure that if it's both men and women, the women are working and the men are loafing around. If only men, then it's strictly loafing. Edited by ldiablo

Good luck - isn't the official unemployment rate on something like 0.5%. Not really much room for a sustainable downward trend.

He may have hopes is moving the unemployment figure into the negative. That's got to be good, right?

I bet the "real" unemployment figures here are closer to 15%, and yes, I've read all the threads, posts, linked articles which " 'splain " the low unemployment numbers. But there are hundreds of thousands of people who are just lounging around, either they have some money or can't find a job they want.

I can't remember which "crackdown" it was some time in the last year, but I remember Cambodian and other foreign workers leaving in droves. Then there was some announcement to make registration for the foreign workers easier in order to get the workers back.

There is no shortage of jobs in this country, but there is a shortage of Thai people willing to work for minimum wage. I can't blame them for that, but given the choice of minimum wage or nothing, I would take the job.

What about the ones that are loafing around whilst working (or at work...)?

Still don't understand how restaurants are allowed to hire foreign servers. This isn't permitted.

If the employer has enough capital and the position is not classified as prohibited (which is not the same as "any job a Thai can do"), and they can come up with a decent reason why they need a foreigner, they can hire anyone they want. That being said, many foreigners in the service industry work off the books here. I mean, you gotta imagine no one is going to go through the trouble of getting a work permit for a foreigner. Feeding the kitty is usually enough.

First action for any Thai beaurocratic role: talk a lot about developing strategies, setting up committees and plans to solve and eradicate.

After that, things will usually go away for a while until another wheel falls off, then you just shove out a new dummy to repeat the above.

Still don't understand how restaurants are allowed to hire foreign servers. This isn't permitted.

If the employer has enough capital and the position is not classified as prohibited (which is not the same as "any job a Thai can do"), and they can come up with a decent reason why they need a foreigner, they can hire anyone they want. That being said, many foreigners in the service industry work off the books here. I mean, you gotta imagine no one is going to go through the trouble of getting a work permit for a foreigner. Feeding the kitty is usually enough.

Serving food is restricted isn't it?

Not that I'm aware of. There's 30+ occupations on the list, mostly related to Thai culture. Tour guide, making handicrafts, etc. You can do a quick search and find a list. Some of em are fairly humorous.

Not that I'm aware of. There's 30+ occupations on the list, mostly related to Thai culture. Tour guide, making handicrafts, etc. You can do a quick search and find a list. Some of em are fairly humorous.
Selling food and drink is restricted, hence the sting of catching foreigners with bars pulling and serving the beers..... Not allowed as far as I know.

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html

C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Selling food and drink is restricted, hence the sting of catching foreigners with bars pulling and serving the beers..... Not allowed as far as I know.

C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

Ok. I saw that. But it doesn't look like the list they hand out at the Department of Labor (below). Although, I haven't been down there in over a year, so maybe the link you provided is more current information. Looks a little more concise. Anyway, also of note is the minimum salary to hire foreigners (Laos, Cambodians, and Burmese excluded), which- at 50K per month- is very high for a service industry job in TH. What it amounts to is any foreigners you see making drinks or serving food here is very likely working illegally. That being said, it is very challenging for small business owners in foreigner friendly areas to find staff that can speak English and will show up every day, so the incentive to hire energetic foreigners that are willing to take a risk is there.

1.- Labour work except labour work in fishing boats under the next category below. The said work which is forbidden to aliens shall not apply to aliens who have entered into Thailand under an agreement on hire of labour concluded between the Government of Thailand and other nations, and also aliens whose status has been prescribed as legal immigrant and who possess a residence certificate under the law governing immigration.

2.- Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labour work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.

3.- Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.

4.- Wood carving.

5.- Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting aircraft internationally.

6.- Front shop sales and auction sale work.

7.-Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.

8.-Cutting or polishing precious or semi-precious stones.

9.- Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.

10.- Cloth weaving by hand.

11.- Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.

12.- Making rice paper by hand.

13.- Lacquer work.

14.- Making Thai musical instruments.

15.- Niello work.

16.- Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold/copper alloy smith work.

Stone work.

17.- Making Thai dolls.

18.- Making mattresses or quilts.

19.- Making alms bowls.

20.- Making silk products by hand.

21.- Making Buddha images.

22.- Knife making.

23.- Making paper or cloth umbrellas.

24.- Making shoes.

25.- Making hats.

26.- Brokerage or agency except in international trading.

27.- Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work requiring specialized techniques.

28.- Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing/making, cost estimation, or consulting services.

29.- Dressmaking.

30.- Pottery.

31.- Cigarette rolling by hand.

32.- Tour guiding or conducting.

33.- Hawking of goods & Thai typesetting by hand.

34.- Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.

35.- Clerical or secretarial work.

36.- Providing legal services or engaging in legal work, except arbitration work; and work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law, or it is a case where there is no need to apply for the enforcement of such arbitration award in Thailand.

Edited by eldragon

Ok. I saw that. But it doesn't look like the list they hand out at the Department of Labor (below). Although, I haven't been down there in over a year, so maybe the link you provided is more current information. Looks a little more concise. Anyway, also of note is the minimum salary to hire foreigners (Laos, Cambodians, and Burmese excluded), which- at 50K per month- is very high for a service industry job in TH. What it amounts to is any foreigners you see making drinks or serving food here is very likely working illegally. That being said, it is very challenging for small business owners in foreigner friendly areas to find staff that can speak English and will show up every day, so the incentive to hire energetic foreigners that are willing to take a risk is there.

1.- Labour work except labour work in fishing boats under the next category below. The said work which is forbidden to aliens shall not apply to aliens who have entered into Thailand under an agreement on hire of labour concluded between the Government of Thailand and other nations, and also aliens whose status has been prescribed as legal immigrant and who possess a residence certificate under the law governing immigration.

2.- Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labour work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.

3.- Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.

4.- Wood carving.

5.- Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting aircraft internationally.

6.- Front shop sales and auction sale work.

7.-Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.

8.-Cutting or polishing precious or semi-precious stones.

9.- Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.

10.- Cloth weaving by hand.

11.- Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.

12.- Making rice paper by hand.

13.- Lacquer work.

14.- Making Thai musical instruments.

15.- Niello work.

16.- Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold/copper alloy smith work.

Stone work.

17.- Making Thai dolls.

18.- Making mattresses or quilts.

19.- Making alms bowls.

20.- Making silk products by hand.

21.- Making Buddha images.

22.- Knife making.

23.- Making paper or cloth umbrellas.

24.- Making shoes.

25.- Making hats.

26.- Brokerage or agency except in international trading.

27.- Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work requiring specialized techniques.

28.- Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing/making, cost estimation, or consulting services.

29.- Dressmaking.

30.- Pottery.

31.- Cigarette rolling by hand.

32.- Tour guiding or conducting.

33.- Hawking of goods & Thai typesetting by hand.

34.- Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.

35.- Clerical or secretarial work.

36.- Providing legal services or engaging in legal work, except arbitration work; and work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law, or it is a case where there is no need to apply for the enforcement of such arbitration award in Thailand.

I always took it that foreigners can own food and drink service places but not serve in them. Foreigners have been stung serving beers for years.