Renewing UK passport - what I can use for proof of address?

Hi there

I need to renew my UK passport and need to show proof of address in Thailand.

What documents can I provide for this?

I have Thai drivers license, work permit, some kind of social security docs.

Would I have to get one of these documents officially translated?

Or is there some official document I can get from the British Embassy that verifies my address?

Thanks for any help

The British Embassy will be no use at all.

The list of acceptable documents is on the website:-

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Table A
Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence
All
applicants must provide one do
cumen
t showing photo identity
and
one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year.
Photo evidence
Please provide
one
of the following:
your British passport (if you are renewing)
non-British uncancelled passport
national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)
driving licence
any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.
Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide
one
of the following:
visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
educational record eg school report
employment record eg official letter from your employer
letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
medical/health card
voter’s card

immigration documents

Any Thai document will need to be translated.

If all else fails they will accept a copy of a partner's ID card, or passport, stating that they live with you at the said address. Backing that up with a copy of the front and back (where the address appears in Thai) of your driving licence should work.

• Like 1

Are you a Brit renewing a passport or a Thai applying for One? I say that because when I did my renewal recently I completed the form sent it direct to the UK with passport, pictures and confirmation of the money payment and received it back at my Thai address in less than 3 weeks. No proof of Thai address or anything required.

• Like 1

Are you a Brit renewing a passport or a Thai applying for One? I say that because when I did my renewal recently I completed the form sent it direct to the UK with passport, pictures and confirmation of the money payment and received it back at my Thai address in less than 3 weeks. No proof of Thai address or anything required.

Same here, got a new passport ten months ago.

No proof of address required.

Maybe this is yet another change in the system?

It couldnt have been that recent renewing from Thailand, you havent sent your application direct to the UK in a good 2 years and it was a brief time anyway you did this between sending it to HK and the change to Trendy towers and if memory serves when you sent the application to the UK from Thailand you had to send proof of address as well...

It couldnt have been that recent renewing from Thailand, you havent sent your application direct to the UK in a good 2 years and it was a brief time anyway you did this between sending it to HK and the change to Trendy towers and if memory serves when you sent the application to the UK from Thailand you had to send proof of address as well...

I Take your point, checked dates and it was less than two years ago though, and no proof of address required other than the return address for them to send it back to. Just wish they would make up their minds one of these days.

I Take your point, checked dates and it was less than two years ago though, and no proof of address required other than the return address for them to send it back to. Just wish they would make up their minds one of these days.

If I remember right it all changed in March 2014, I did mine early May and got caught in the chaos.

Two years ago you would not have sent it to the UK for return to Thailand.

Hong Kong was the processing centre and they returned via EMS to a Thai address.

When did you renew your passport ? As you can no longer send it direct to the UK it now has to go via the Trend office in Bangkok where it is checked they then send it to the UK who then return it to the Trend office this is what I had to do in May of this year the turn around was less than 4 weeks you then get a completed form from the British Embassey in Bangkok confirming your new passport which you then hand into your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred over to your new passport . So the info you have given is incorrect !

I used a translated copy of my thai driving license.

The same is true for a yellow book as it is for a driving license - it can only be used if the document was issued less than one year ago.

Had a yellow book rejected as address confirmation because it had been issued 3 years ago!

They cited this from the website supporting documents notes:-

Table A
Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence
All
applicants must provide one do
cumen
t showing photo identity
and

one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year

Remember that copies of anything (including ALL passport pages) must be in colour. You should also take the originals with you.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

I just pointed out that I had years of Thai visas in my passport and this is where I live. I haven't had the misfortune to be in the U.K. for 20 years.

The Thai girl I was dealing with wasn't very good at English,but when I explained in Thai, no problem.

Edited by johninbkk71

That sounds really good, did you do it by bank transfer? What sort of confirmation of the money paid did you send?

So, assuming YTB is over one year old - what do you do?

You don't use it.

At least not on it's own if you want to risk rejection.

Personally I would add it (duly translated) and provide a copy of your wife/GF/landlady ID card or passport which they sign and state that you are living at the said address. Again, this should be translated.

Liverpool confirmed to me that "in the absence of the specified documents what I proposed would be acceptable" i.e. the wife's signed ID card.

I just pointed out that I had years of Thai visas in my passport and this is where I live. I haven't had the misfortune to be in the U.K. for 20 years.

The Thai girl I was dealing with wasn't very good at English,but when I explained in Thai, no problem.

That is very brave of her as she is only an employee of VFS Global.

The decision to accept address verification is made by HMPO staff in Liverpool.

OP get a letter from your employer in English simple

Or alternatively, if you have sufficient time, send a snail mail letter to HMPO complaining about their lousy passport renewal procedures (with particular regard to the proof of address requirement, perhaps?). Although they will, of course, only send you a considered (?) reply "in the fullness of time and at the appropriate juncture", you will hopefully receive from them rather sooner some letter of acknowledgement at least, which you can then include with your application as the required proof of address when you trot along to With-It Tower! laugh.png

Following the list.....copy of visa in passport....girl in Trendy said needed more. I disagreed and told her to submit it. No issues got it back in 10 days this April. Why would you need to prove an address for a passport beyond proof you are legally in the country. No address in a Uk passport. ...can live in a tent!

Following the list.....copy of visa in passport....girl in Trendy said needed more. I disagreed and told her to submit it. No issues got it back in 10 days this April. Why would you need to prove an address for a passport beyond proof you are legally in the country. No address in a Uk passport. ...can live in a tent!

This is HMPO's 21st Century rationale.

HMPO want proof you are actually living in the country where you applying, if this is not the case then they expect you to apply in the UK and, if necessary, apply for/obtain an emergency passport to get you back home.

HMPO's reasoning is that passport fraud/identity theft is much more easily effected overseas and thus extra checks need to be included and in place to prevent this.

The days when all kind of itinerants ranging from travelling business folk to back packers getting 10 year UK passports wherever, whenever, are unfortunately over.

I remember I put my family address in England on my form plus made a copy of the yellow house book. I did not have the copy of the house book translated but they accepted it with all my other documents. It was sent by VFS and was back to be picked up in 3 weeks. My sister in law was able to pick mine up as I had wrote a letter with her details, she showed her ID card and that was it. She then forwarded it on to my address in the north, I really did not want to have to go back to BKK in a hurry as I hate the place.

You were lucky, you didn't satisfy the criteria that is set out clearly ion the website.

Others who have tried to circumvent the requirements have been less successful.

I would have LMAO if yours had been rejected.