Vestas Denmark secures huge windmill order from Thailand

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Notice how no info about costs or when this project was approved. It makes me wonder if when this info finally does come to light just how much corruption is involved. I hope their was none and costs are not overly exaggerated. But I have yet to see this not happen in thailand

Seems like it's a private energy generation company? http://www.energyabsolute.co.th/index.php

Assume they'll wholesale to PEA? But it would be interesting to understand the legal ramifications of that arrangement, or maybe not?

The cost is about $ 3to 4 mill per 2MW turbine mill
The cost per MW is roughly $1,2 mill per MW.

Many time they lease land and owner get yearly fee.

In good wind conditions the turbines can pay them self of in 5 years.

These conditions are probably arround 8-9 years. There is happen a lot since they needed a lot of wind to produce. Today full production can be at 9-10 m/s.

If there is no wind , then be sure they will not build them.

Only issue will be if the locals will keep them serviced so they do not break down( machine faillure)

Vestas will educate local people to run them.

Vestas will train Energy Absolute staff how to run them once Vestas have completed and handed over to EA. Vestas then have a 5yr Operation and Maintenance contract to keep the turbines working; if turbines are not operational due to Vestas fault, then Vestas has to pay a fee to EA until turbines are operational. All standard wind industry conditions.

As far as I know, these turbines are part of a scam in many parts of Europe. They forget to tell you that you need 4000 hours of adequate wind yearly to make these things worthwhile.

So where's the windy city in Thailand where you have that kind of potential?

"Wind turbines generate electrical energy when they are not shut down for maintenance, repair, or tours and the wind is between about 8 and 55 mph. Below a wind speed of around 30 mph, however, the amount of energy generated is very small." from https://www.wind-watch.org/faq-output.php

Wind turbines are also UGLY. They will doubtless be implanted in the middle of Nature reserves, together with the accompanying access roads. Convincing people to insulate their homes and factories might be a start, I shudder to think what the air conditioning bills for the malls all over Thailand cost.

I'm calling potential for scam on this one.

I don't think wind turbines are ugly; it's a personal opinion.

I've read the thread but I don't get where are you getting scam from. This will not be the first wind farm in Thailand, there's others in chaiyaphum and near khao yai that I can think of. What scam are you thinking of here?

Apart from the obvious you mean? I saw one local administration after another in Switzerland being bribed and deceived to accept turbines in their beautiful landscape. It is only after a few years that people realise what has been foisted onto them. attachicon.gifindex.jpg

... is just one example (Mont Soleil).

Apart from seeing demons where there are known, you don't see to be knowledgeable of Thailands Power Development Plan...which includes gas power plants, coal power plants, WIND FARMS, solar farms...

Now you seem to be an intelligent kind of fellow. My point is that wind turbines only work in WINDY countries.

What does the TPDP have to do with anything? Coal power plants? You support that also?

My point was wind farms are part of THE POWER PLAN here and there's nothing unusual about them. Further, people don't build (windfarms) if it ain't going to generate a profit for them so of course there's sufficient wind as factored in to the investment model. You seem to think the wind turbines already constructed here sit idle all year round and don't earn money for the developer and contribute electricity to the national grid.

My personal opinion on coal fire plants is not relevant to this thread is it.

People build them because they get huge subsidies from their government.

Take away these massive grants and they are not viable.

As far as I know, these turbines are part of a scam in many parts of Europe. They forget to tell you that you need 4000 hours of adequate wind yearly to make these things worthwhile.

"Wind turbines generate electrical energy when they are not shut down for maintenance, repair, or tours and the wind is between about 8 and 55 mph. Below a wind speed of around 30 mph, however, the amount of energy generated is very small." from https://www.wind-watch.org/faq-output.php

Wind turbines are also UGLY. They will doubtless be implanted in the middle of Nature reserves, together with the accompanying access roads. Convincing people to insulate their homes and factories might be a start, I shudder to think what the air conditioning bills for the malls all over Thailand cost.

Installed capacity of wind power in Thailand in 2014 was 224.5 MW. The target for wind capacity by 2036 in the as yet unreleased PDP 2015 (Power Developmetn Plan) is 3002MW. It is probable that most of the wind will be installed by private Thai energy companies using the Feed in Tarrif (FIT) of 6.06 baht/kWh.

The economics of wind farms varies in each country depending on the price of grid connected electricity, costs of inputs and whether subsidies are provided. Calling the wind industry a scam is pretty moronic in my view. Wind will provide a key element of Thailand's much needed fuel diversity and move away from over reliance on diminishing natural gas. The targets for wind energy represent the mobilisation of 2.5 - 4 billion US$ which will come primarily from domestic capital markets, not to mention the employment opportunities and the impact on reduction of Thailand's carbon emissions.

You may have your own opinions of the aesthetics of wind turbines but please acknowledge the role of wind energy on Thailand's energy policy and the economics of the wind industry before blowing so much hot air.

Edited by lostboy

Notice how no info about costs or when this project was approved. It makes me wonder if when this info finally does come to light just how much corruption is involved. I hope their was none and costs are not overly exaggerated. But I have yet to see this not happen in thailand

Purchase of renewable energy by MEA and PEA is regulated under the Very Small Power Producer Program (VSPP) for sales of energy to the grid of less than 10 MW. If a wind farm sells energy of between 10 - 90 MW then it will come under the SPP regulations. Both sets of regulations can be found on the websites of MEA, PEA and the Energy Regulatory Commission. The ERC regulates power procurement according to the Energy Industry Act 2007.

International energy companies operate in Thailand under Board of Investment privileges allowing tax holidays and relaxation of foreign ownership restrictions. Foreign and domestic owned energy companies submit proposals for SPP and VSPP according to the regulations, raise the capital, then procure, install and operate the equipment. Pretty much all aspects of this process from raising capital to equipment purchase happens in a competitive environment and in compliance to accounting, audit and financial reporting rules.

Slagging of a multi-billion dollar industry that is essential to the economic development of the country with wild and frankly pig-ignorant allegations is pretty low class. If you or anyone has evidence of corruption in this or any other industry involving state agents, then you can PM me. Many of the officials that I have worked for and alongside in government occupy dome of the most senior positions in the various Ministries involved in the economic sector and I know that they would act swiftly if presented with evidence.

Edited by lostboy

Installed capacity of wind power in Thailand in 2014 was 224.5 MW. The target for wind capacity by 2036 in the as yet unreleased PDP 2015 (Power Developmetn Plan) is 3002MW. It is probably that most of that wind will be installed by private Thai energy companies using the Feed in Tarrif (FIT) of 6.06 baht/kWh.

The economics of wind farms varies in each country depending on the price of grid connected electricity, costs of inputs and whether subsidies are provided. Calling the wind industry a scam is pretty moronic in my view. Wind will provide a key element of Thailand's much needed fuel diversity and move away from over reliance on diminishing natural gas. The targets for wind energy represent the mobilisation of 2.5 - 4 billion US$ which will come primarily from domestic capital markets, not to mention the employment opportunities and the impact on reduction of Thailand's carbon emissions.

You may have your own opinions of the aesthetics of wind turbines but please acknowledge the role of wind energy on Thailand's energy policy and the economics of the wind industry before blowing so much hot air.

Aesthetics is one thing, noise is a much more serious problem, that is why the friendly Danes build most of their own wind farms offshore.

Purchase of renewable energy by MEA and PEA is regulated under the Very Small Power Producer Program (VSPP) for sales of energy to the grid of less than 10 MW. If a wind farm sells energy of between 10 - 90 MW then it will come under the SPP regulations. Both sets of regulations can be found on the websites of MEA, PEA and the Energy Regulatory Commission. The ERC regulates power procurement according to the Energy Industry Act 2007.

International energy companies operate in Thailand under Board of Investment privileges allowing tax holidays and relaxation of foreign ownership restrictions. Foreign and domestic owned energy companies submit proposals for SPP and VSPP according to the regulations, raise the capital, then procure, install and operate the equipment. Pretty much all aspects of this process from raising capital to equipment purchase happens in a competitive environment and in compliance to accounting, audit and financial reporting rules.

Slagging of a multi-billion dollar industry that is essential to the economic development of the country with wild and frankly pig-ignorant allegations is pretty low class. If you or anyone has evidence of corruption in this or any other industry involving state agents, then you can PM me. Many of the officials that I have worked for and alongside in government occupy dome of the most senior positions in the various Ministries involved in the economic sector and I know that they would act swiftly if presented with evidence.

Let's hope you are right? But given past purchases of equipment for the gov has been shady to say the least one can only wonder why unit prices were not listed as yet compared to the price your senior positioned ministered are showing they will not have paid for them. Transparency remember. Maybe Mr.P has finally scared your coworkers into being honest politicians. Or at the least transferred out the bad ones. It would be a breath of fresh air to finally see that corruption is finally be rooted out of the system even if it has not been from all places.

Installed capacity of wind power in Thailand in 2014 was 224.5 MW. The target for wind capacity by 2036 in the as yet unreleased PDP 2015 (Power Developmetn Plan) is 3002MW. It is probable that most of the wind will be installed by private Thai energy companies using the Feed in Tarrif (FIT) of 6.06 baht/kWh.

Yes, calling people that disagree with you moronic is always a good argument. Installed capacity: that is the power that would be developed if ALL the turbines were working at 100%. They never will be. That's where the scam comes in. That's why the UK is abandoning wind power as a source of energy.Tell me where there is enough wind in Thailand for this to happen? I drove past a wind farm in Switzerland every day and I NEVER saw all the turbines working at once, mostly they were all immobile. Whatever the power costs are in Thailand, the fact is that these ugly things will never bring 3002 MW. More like 300.

A quote from the link I gave before, that you evidently haven't read:

General Electric (GE) makes a once widely used 1.5-megawatt model. 1.5 MW is its rated, or maximum, capacity, at which rate it will produce power when the wind is in the ideal range for that model, between 27 and 56 mph. Turbines are now generally in the range of 2-3 MW.

At wind speeds below 30mph, production drops to 10% of that.

Very few solar power installations in Thailand, why is that? Subsidies for insulation of buildings would certainly be worthwhile. Wind power? Nah

When looking at the cost of these wind farms one must factor in how many hours a day the wind blows and how strong it blows, look at the payback based on that and how much per kw can be made. If the government kick in with a subsidy that helps but no-one is going to invest if the wind resource is poor. The wind resource needs to be checked on site for a year or more.

Let's hope you are right? But given past purchases of equipment for the gov has been shady to say the least one can only wonder why unit prices were not listed as yet compared to the price your senior positioned ministered are showing they will not have paid for them. Transparency remember. Maybe Mr.P has finally scared your coworkers into being honest politicians. Or at the least transferred out the bad ones. It would be a breath of fresh air to finally see that corruption is finally be rooted out of the system even if it has not been from all places.

No government agency is involved in the procurement of equipment or the operations and management of wind farms under the SPP and VSPP programs. The regulator issues the license to the private company, MEA and PEA purchase the power provided. Equipment purchase by private companies is a commercial decision. You will not find many private companies revealing commercially confidential information such as contract prices for purchases. Prices paid by government entities who purchase the power are publicly listed and reviewed at a regular rate involving extensive public consultation.

Just saying that the sale goods and services by a Danish company must be corrupt because you think everything in Thailand is corrupt is pretty meaningless. And so wide of the mark. I am sure the Danish company would not welcome even the hint of any allegation of corruption. Anti-corruption legislation in the UK, Australia, Europe, US and Canada is massively stringent. Hurling around unsubstantiated allegations on this issue is no small thing.

Your faith in the General is quaint. But utterly and comically unfounded.

This is an issue that warrants serious attention and discussion. Without knowledge of the way the industry, in this case the wind/power industry works, the policy and regulatory environment and other relevant issues then offering crude generalisations based on 5th hand information you may have come across is quite pointless. The energy industry is a major part of the Thai economy. It is a serious business impacting on the lives of many. It should be taken seriously. As should any drive against corruption in that or any other sector.

Yes, calling people that disagree with you moronic is always a good argument. Installed capacity: that is the power that would be developed if ALL the turbines were working at 100%. They never will be. That's where the scam comes in. That's why the UK is abandoning wind power as a source of energy.Tell me where there is enough wind in Thailand for this to happen? I drove past a wind farm in Switzerland every day and I NEVER saw all the turbines working at once, mostly they were all immobile. Whatever the power costs are in Thailand, the fact is that these ugly things will never bring 3002 MW. More like 300.

General Electric (GE) makes a once widely used 1.5-megawatt model. 1.5 MW is its rated, or maximum, capacity, at which rate it will produce power when the wind is in the ideal range for that model, between 27 and 56 mph. Turbines are now generally in the range of 2-3 MW.

Very few solar power installations in Thailand, why is that? Subsidies for insulation of buildings would certainly be worthwhile. Wind power? Nah

Solar power is also part of the plan with bids planned for a further 600mw early next year i believe. Thailand is fairly well advanced in the region as far as solar is concerned and fancies itself as an ASEAN hub (along with being a hub for everything else under the sun).

I did not call you a moron. I said that calling the wind energy industry a scam is moronic. If you want to take it personally, fine. It wasn't meant as a personal reference. Also, no. I did not read your link. It was immaterial to my point. it still is. Equipment specs don't do it for me at all. I once had to sit through a whole day of briefings at GE's HQ in Albany New York with a bunch of Thai officials on one of their new turbines that they were trying to flog off. Thoroughly boring.

Rates capacity of wind turbines, solar PV, hydro turbines etc is quite unimportant for grid operators. What counts is how much power is provided to the grid. That is what the grid operator pays for. Rated capacity is a figure that can help power planners but power plans are full of assumptions and scenarios that change change for a variety of reasons; technology changes being just a minor one.

the operator of a wind farm has an obligation under a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) to provide the amount of power specified in the contract. Even if the amount of power is not specified and the system operator has to take any power produced by a renewable source, as is the case in Germany, then they are only interested in the kWh produced. Actual kW or MW capacity is irrelevant. The SO must secure sufficient power to meet demand 24/7. Whether the wind farm operator has all turbines running or some are down for maintenance or whatever, is up to the operator to manage within the requirements of the contract with the off-taker.

There are many issues related to the economics of wind and other renewable energy that create perverse outcomes. Rated capacity of equipment or maintenance outages are not among them and none of them rise to the level of 'scam'.

Wikipedia has some nice and clear stats on wind energy. Total global wind energy installed capacity 2014 is almost 370,000 MW. China has over 114,000 MW. Just 3 years ago, I visited State Grid of China with a Thai delegation and they had just passed Germany's 23,000 MW to their increase is massive. The US is now 2nd on the list ahead of Germany. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_by_country These figures are impressive. All of the multiple billions of dollars of investment; all of the highly trained engineers working in the public and private sector on wind energy; all of the economists and financiers working on the costs and price of power supplied by wind; and, all of the consumers being served by wind energy around the world. Any you call it a scam?

You asked where are the locations for wind farms in Thailand. The NE and some part of the South. You can find wind maps of Thailand on the internet. Wind farm developers will have their own. Any proposal for a wind farm under the VSPP and SPP regulations is required to have extensive data on this. The fact that you don't know this information does not mean it does not exist.

You say that there are very few solar installations in Thailand. In 2014 installed capacity of solar energy was 1,298.5 MW. Under PDP2015 it is expected to be 6,000 by 2035. The power planners expect this to be mostly solar farms but now that the Energy Regulatory Commission has issued regulations on rooftop solar, I personally believe that this sub-sector will expand significantly once net metering has been approved by Cabinet. The Ministry of Energy is already looking at pilot programs for the liberalisation of rooftop solar PV in 2 provinces.

Subsidies for insulation and other energy efficiency initiatives are available from the Energy Conservation Fund administered by the Energy Policy and Planning Office (EPPO). I have very limited experience with ESCO's and the DSM sector in terms of retail energy efficiency. However, I cannot see any relevance of this to the wind energy issue.

If you post links on the economics of wind energy or the impact of wind energy on network system operations, I will probably read it. There are some extremely interesting and important concerns related to those issues. Links on turbine specs will remain unread by me.

Solar power is also part of the plan with bids planned for a further 600mw early next year i believe. Thailand is fairly well advanced in the region as far as solar is concerned and fancies itself as an ASEAN hub (along with being a hub for everything else under the sun).

The allocation of solar PV to be bid under the new Feed In Tariff (FIT) regulations was approved by the National Energy Policy Council (NEPC) in October last year. NEPC approved the conversion of 800 MW allocated to villages to also include government agencies and agricultural cooperatives. As this 800 MW has been developed by the policy makers, the numbers have changed back and forth primarily depending on the interest of the current regime and it has been divided, recombined, and divided many times amongst a range of 'categories'. What seems to be the case is that a large part will go to Agricultural Co-operates. At a FIT public hearing a couple of months ago, ERC indicated that applications for 5000 MW of PV had been received just from Agricultural Cooperatives without considering any other government entity, which also could include state enterprises if they wanted to apply. So applications for 5000 MW when 800 (or 600) is available. I was told that the policy makers were considering a lottery system to select the winning tenders, which to me is a retrograde step.

The 800 MW allocation only allows solar PV installations of up to 5 MW in each unit, although I did hear that this had been increased to 10 but I am not sure on the reliability of that information and I have stayed far away from this project. The 800 MW is the only game in town for solar at the moment. In terms of the future, I think the days of 'first come first served' are long gone not just for solar but most renewable energy projects. I also think that there is a strong sentiment for community based projects and residential rooftop PV and the old style solar farms licenses being 'won' by certain cronies may be finished. We would have to wait and see what impact this 'decentralised generation' model has on the ability to finance investments and on the operations of the grid network.

I think that industrial and residential rooftop solar PV may be the way forward in Thailand for the solar sector.