Where to cash a check from Amazon.com from the US in Thailand

I'm receiving a check from Amazon.com in the US, it's going to be a big one, eg $20k+, which bank is the fastest for this and what type of costs should I expect and how does this process work?

I mean will they start asking any questions or be suspicious cause it's such large amount? It's a cumulative of a few years of passive affiliate earnings from some websites that I own.

I already have an account at the Kasikorn bank but not sure how long it takes with them to clear it.

Edited by dennis123

I used to receive small cheques from Clickbank on a monthly basis. My Thai bank, Krung Thai, said it would take 90 days to clear each cheque. There was also a substantial charge made for clearing each cheque that had to be paid when the cheque was deposited into my Krung Thai account. Thanachart would not accept a foreign cheque. It would be wise to enquire of Kasikorn bank to see if they will clear a foreign cheque.

Because Clickbank could not make a transfer to a Thai bank account, I arranged for any future payments to be paid directly into my UK bank account. I suggest that you ask Amazon to deposit the payment direct into the non-Thai bank account of your choice and then transfer the money from there into your bank account in Thailand. You will have to pay a transfer fee, but at least you will not have to wait three months for the cheque to clear, nor will you have to pay the substantial bank charge to clear your cheque..

I used to receive small cheques from Clickbank on a monthly basis. My Thai bank, Krung Thai, said it would take 90 days to clear each cheque. There was also a substantial charge made for clearing each cheque that had to be paid when the cheque was deposited into my Krung Thai account. Thanachart would not accept a foreign cheque. It would be wise to enquire of Kasikorn bank to see if they will clear a foreign cheque.

Because Clickbank could not make a transfer to a Thai bank account, I arranged for any future payments to be paid directly into my UK bank account. I suggest that you ask Amazon to deposit the payment direct into the non-Thai bank account of your choice and then transfer the money from there into your bank account in Thailand. You will have to pay a transfer fee, but at least you will not have to wait three months for the cheque to clear, nor will you have to pay the substantial bank charge to clear your cheque..

Amazon only pays out to US bank accounts so that's no option, however there is this Payoneer service that provides you with a virtual bank account with routing number and such, so a few weeks ago I changed my preferred payment method to that, but now I just logged in and read that they send a check anyway.

I just send them an email and if they did send a check I'll see if they can cancel it and put it on my Payoneer account

Amusing given Amazon runs a massive on line business but still issues paper cheques....why cant they do an on line transfer ?

Cause it are a bunch of stubborn Americans I guess, they only send online bank payments to Americans, the rest of the world has the option between a check or giftcards.

I just cashed a check from Apple. My bank is Bangkok Bank. They use BankAmerica to clear US checks and it took 3 business days.

That's very fast, which branch did you visit or doesn't that matter? Did you go to the Bangkok HQ perhaps?

I guess Seattle would be about the closest place. Try begging Amazon not to issue a paper check. Have them do an electronic funds transfer to your bank in Thailand. If you deposit here it will take months to clear on top of an appalling handling fee and who knows what exchange rate.

Drop me a PM I can show you how to get a US account and card and have Amazon earnings put on the card instantly and then you just withdraw from any ATM and its free

As for the check takes 90 days to clear done it a few times until I found the other option and have been doing that for several years

Edited by Wolfe

Drop me a PM I can show you how to get a US account and card and have Amazon earnings put on the card instantly and then you just withdraw from any ATM and its free

As for the check takes 90 days to clear done it a few times until I found the other option and have been doing that for several years

Free ATM's? Where the hell are they in Thailand, apart from falangs of course.

Amazon only pays out to US bank accounts so that's no option, however there is this Payoneer service that provides you with a virtual bank account with routing number and such, so a few weeks ago I changed my preferred payment method to that, but now I just logged in and read that they send a check anyway.

I just send them an email and if they did send a check I'll see if they can cancel it and put it on my Payoneer account

"Amazon only pays out to US bank accounts "

So if you had an account in Thailand at Bangkok Bank, you could have the amount transferred to the Bangkok Bank Branch in New York, using the same account number you use in Thailand. It would be a US domestic transfer and the baht equivalent would appear in your account in Thailand in a couple of days and for a nominal fee.

Many of us have payments from various sources in the US directed to our Bangkok Bank accounts via the NY branch.

Edited by Suradit69

"Amazon only pays out to US bank accounts "

So if you had an account in Thailand at Bangkok Bank, you could have the amount transferred to the Bangkok Bank Branch in New York, using the same account number you use in Thailand. It would be a US domestic transfer and the baht equivalent would appear in your account in Thailand in a couple of days and for a nominal fee.

Many of us have payments from various sources in the US directed to our Bangkok Bank accounts via the NY branch.

I have an account at Payoneer, which provides a virtual US bank account, however when I changed my payment method Amazon didn't honor it (maybe I changed it too late) so now the check is already on it's way to me.

I just cashed a check from Apple. My bank is Bangkok Bank. They use BankAmerica to clear US checks and it took 3 business days.

Damn! I cashed a check from Tricare last year at Bangkok Bank here in Nakhon Sawan and the teller had to pull out a huge old operating manual to look up the procedure. Nobody at the branch had ever done it before. She got on the phone several times for guidance. Don't remember now but I think the commission was several hundred baht and it took about six weeks to clear. Since then I found my credit union in the States has an app that I can use on my mobile phone to send a picture of the check and the money is in my account instantly. Of course that doesn't help the OP because he doesn't have a U.S. account. Tricare has finally caught up with the 20th Century and now does direct deposit to U.S. banks.

Bangkok Bank should be your best bet, because they were started in the '40s specifically to handle money transfers to China. Then they grew to be the first Thai bank handling international settlements. Kasikorn and Thai Commercial should be good, too. They were started for the same reason by different Chinese ethnic groups but by the '90s they were as capable as Bangkok Bank.

Alright I just had a chat with an Amazon Associates representative and he will void the cheque and do a direct deposit to the US bank account attached to my Payoneer card so all solved!

Can always use the cheque as wall decoration, looks nice :)

Yes I cleared a cheque through Bangkok Bank, I have an account with them. It was a UK cheque and my own, I was trying it out. It may help that they have a branch in London to clear it through.

It took about 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Rather backwards of Amazon.