Man dies urinating near electricity pole, Thai police say

webfact

We all need protecting from ourselves at times ....... If this country started applying proper safety standards incidents like this would become rare.

Yes it could be said he should have been more aware.

Very sad R.I.P Sir.

Safety standards? where do you start? As the cost would be astronomical its best to start in the brain do not piss against electric poles.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing that Thais just don't understand water(piss) and electricity just don't mix. RIP

To be accurate, relatively pure water such as rain is a very poor conductor. I have connected a tester on a fibreglass rod onto a live 500,000V line in pouring rain (a constant stream down the rod and falling from my elbows) without even a tingle. OTOH many failures occur when a long dry/dusty spell is followed by fog/mist/very light rain.

A nurse g/f told me about a retarded patient who used to piss on power outlets intentionally. The difference being that the protection would operate before he was seriously injured/killed.

You "tested" your theory about water being a poor conductor? This is one of the top things I would not want to trial first along with shark repellent, DIY laser pen eye surgery and being a passenger in a high speed test of self driving vehicle.

You must be crazy,,,

Have you ever peed without you index finger on your hardware ?

Why was attention brought to left index finger? Had a dog once pee on an electric outlet Saw an arc from outlet to pecker dog never peed inside again but that only 110 versus 220 here. But judging by photo pole is cement not a conductor unless this guy had 20 inches or was peeing from top of a ladder no way he could of had this happen, so must have leaning on pole to steady himself either or not a good idea.

Yes - mine got burned/burnt off when I once peed against an electrical pole cheesy.gif

Piss funny

The electrical box must be very poor. It would appear to be a public hazard. It is amazing that Thailand allows such dangerous installations. All outdoor boxes (and equipment) should be rated at IP 66 minimum. What would happen if it was raining and a child put their hand on the box? Probably the child would be electrocuted.

You sound like Ernest Moss!

Edited by Walter Travolta

The electrical box must be very poor. It would appear to be a public hazard. It is amazing that Thailand allows such dangerous installations. All outdoor boxes (and equipment) should be rated at IP 66 minimum. What would happen if it was raining and a child put their hand on the box? Probably the child would be electrocuted.

You sound like Ernest Moss!

I think of it like this, it could be one of my family that happens to touch the box and get killed. Thailand has no idea about safety but we all know that

Why was attention brought to left index finger? Had a dog once pee on an electric outlet Saw an arc from outlet to pecker dog never peed inside again but that only 110 versus 220 here. But judging by photo pole is cement not a conductor unless this guy had 20 inches or was peeing from top of a ladder no way he could of had this happen, so must have leaning on pole to steady himself either or not a good idea.

There appears to be a metal box close to ground level that likely has outlets, one of those 1940s type switches, or such inside.

Wet cement is quite a good conductor......

Bad taste comment....he won't be able to take a bouquet to the police and 'wai' badly.

I always piss behind the Bamboo when I am in the village. Hope that is save. But you never know in LOS. The electrical wiring here never seizes to amaze me, even in our new house. The power for the aircon just taken off the nearest power point. Too lazy to run a cable to the switchboard.

Man can pee anywhere, even on open ground.

I see only dogs prefer peeing on poles and wheels.

It's a quirk of the human male that he likes to pee up against something rather than onto open ground.

I would have done the same if I knew nothing about nothing - poor guy. He should know better than to pee onto the electric box.

Just if you do not know it.

In Thailand to pee on a tree it is an offense to the Buddhist religion....

He was probably trying to see how high he could pee.

The wiring doesn't look good.

thailand is a death trap, the Council playground for children in Hua HIn next to the KIngs Palace has wires all over the place lyeing on the ground, it is a wonder that thousands don't die everyday in LOS as cables are a mess everywhere.

Amazing that Thais just don't understand water(piss) and electricity just don't mix. RIP

To be accurate, relatively pure water such as rain is a very poor conductor. I have connected a tester on a fibreglass rod onto a live 500,000V line in pouring rain (a constant stream down the rod and falling from my elbows) without even a tingle. OTOH many failures occur when a long dry/dusty spell is followed by fog/mist/very light rain.

A nurse g/f told me about a retarded patient who used to piss on power outlets intentionally. The difference being that the protection would operate before he was seriously injured/k

All water conducts electricity. What next, spaghetti grows on trees? Next time wait until April 1st.

It's a quirk of the human male that he likes to pee up against something rather than onto open ground.

I would have done the same if I knew nothing about nothing - poor guy. He should know better than to pee onto the electric box.

Like we care.

A nurse g/f told me about a retarded patient who used to piss on power outlets intentionally. The difference being that the protection would operate before he was seriously injured/killed.

A mortician friend told me about a retard who:

connected a tester on a fibreglass rod onto a live 500,000V line in pouring rain (a constant stream down the rod and falling from my elbows).

Where was this 500kV line?

If you have the physical clearance, hot sticking with 500KV is not out of the question. And to be clear, there isn't too many tasks you could complete on equipment at this voltage except placing testing equipment or ancillary fittings. . Not sure I'd take a run at in the wet, a stick long enough to offset the rain, I'd not be able to see it clearly or stab it first go, might knock a few other places first, and i'm gonna pass on the standing under or close to under it too.

snip

It is why we see voltages like 132,000 V or more on grid power transmission lines often high up on pylons, as a lot of power can be transported with little current needed at these high voltage pressures, so thus the cables can be relatively small gauge for such a massive electrical transmission need. But that high voltage is massive pressure and thus very dangerous and why pylons are so high and usually protected from idiots getting killed. What they want to avoid is lost power in high currents heating the transmission cabling thus higher voltage is used to be more efficient for grid transmission of power. ​

Well that is half the story, hence why transmission at higher powers is even more effective beyond 66kV especially with coreless bundled transmission lines. No point wasting all that metal in the cable when it is simply not conducting at all, so multi conductor bundles do a fine job and that is the reason small gauge cabling is possible. This maintains good field stability and cost effectiveness by not wasting money on useless metal and the thermal effects that deadweight causes.

However that really doesn't mean the gauge is smaller really,since they are a strand in the bundle.

Like we care.

you would if a snake came down the tree trunk and bit your bell end

Like we care.

What are you doing in Thailand?...Good that you do not care. Tell me what is your country...I will go just to pee on your country flag!

A child was recently killed simply by touching a metal railing at the edge of a viewpoint on the top of a building. Plus, how many folks get 'stewed' in swimming pools here each year? Too many.

Have you ever peed without you index finger on your hardware ?

Of course, I prefer a lady holding it.

you mean a woman, there is a difference between a lady and a woman, you don't find too many ladies here.

Nor do I wish to. They are not in the social class that I prefer to associate with. I was brought up to be as comfortable dining and staying at the Hilton as I was a Howard-Johnsons. I can play the game and I can blend in. But I find the Hi-So folk to be - shallow. There are exceptions. However, I like my close friends and acquaintances to be a little my down to Earth and less status conscious. And I prefer women, not women aspiring to be "Ladies".

Talking about electrocution by penis, When i was a lot younger i worked near a farm, There where cattle in a field surrounded by a small electric fence to keep them in, One day i was talking to the farmer as i got to know him, While chatting we noticed a cow that was grazing quiet close to this electric fence, A bull had taken notice of this cow, The Bull wounded up and tried to mount the cow, pushing it nose first against this Electric fence, The was a blue flash from the bulls balls which made it bellow, it shot off at some pace up the field, We fell about laughing, the next time I saw my Farmer friend i ask about the Bull , He said "The bull had not been near any cow since and was thinking of selling him" because he was not servicing the cows,

Pavlovian Condition 101 in a nutshell (pun intended).