TURKEY in Pattaya

pattaya_girl

There's a place on 3rd Rd about 200-300m heading north from Pattaya Tai on the LHS (sorry, forget the name, maybe someone can jog my memory) run by an English woman and her Thai husband.

Quality used to be excellent, but not 100% sure if they're still there. I'll try to find out next time I'm passing that way (probably Sunday).

There's a place on 3rd Rd about 200-300m heading north from Pattaya Tai on the LHS (sorry, forget the name, maybe someone can jog my memory) run by an English woman and her Thai husband.

Quality used to be excellent, but not 100% sure if they're still there. I'll try to find out next time I'm passing that way (probably Sunday).

I have forgotten the name now as well but it has been closed for quite a while.. Was the name Pats?

I have forgotten the name now as well but it has been closed for quite a while.. Was the name Pats?[/quote

Not sure, give me a few minutes.

Check out the prices, Friendship and Central Food Hall are 50%+ more expensive for frozen Butterball turkeys than Makro.

You know that Macro sells them, and most of the other "farang" grocery stores (Villa, Foodland, Friendship, etc.) in Pattaya also have them, unless they have depleted their stock and will not order more until November in anticipation of the holiday season. Most sellers only stock for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so a store with the greatest turnover is likely the place to get the "freshest" (frozen, but most recently processed) bird. That would, along with the cheapest price, be Macro. Stores like Villa and Friendship with a low turnover could have turkeys for sale that are several years old. As the U.S. Department of Agriculture points out, foods that are kept constantly frozen at 0°F or lower will keep safely indefinitely. And how the frozen birds have been stored is also a concern, and Macro's management of its frozen meats appears to be very good (much better than Tesco and Big C). But, when it comes to quality, all frozen foods will eventually start to go downhill when it comes to texture, flavor and taste. In the case of whole frozen turkeys, the quality remains good if eaten it within one year. So, you are certainly entitled to enquire what stores other than Macro sell turkeys, but it seems that Macro is the obvious place to buy your turkey. The last time I checked, Thanksgiving 2014, Macro had two varieties of frozen turkey -- the "premium" Butterballs and a lower priced "supermarket brand". Happy hunting......

Thailand's largely unstated but official ban on turkey imports from the US has finally hit. Last month pretty much saw the stocks of previously imported turkey products finally running out. I got a heads-up on it via a thread somewhere in TV about 2 months ago where someone was advised by the foreign chefs of two major hotels that they were buying up remaining stocks to ensure they have something to present to customers and guests for Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.

... Reduced broiler production in 2016 is possible if the Thai government continues its ban on importation of U.S. chicken genetics. Without being officially notified, Thailand banned imports of U.S. live poultry and uncooked poultry products in late December 2014 when the first detection of High Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in the U.S. poultry flock was officially reported. ...
Above from this
Also read this

Foodland did have them not looked for a few months, also did Turkey crowns

I've always been able to purchase US produced frozen turkeys at Foodland, both at Christmastime and during the year.

Here's an April turkey from Foodland. biggrin.png

post-34982-0-35351100-1443899806_thumb.j

post-34982-0-23839100-1443899938_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Archived