32 provinces on alert for Storm Mujigae

Lite Beer

32 provinces on alert for Storm Mujigae

BANGKOK, 3 October 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has instructed its local units in 32 risk-prone provinces to be prepared for relief operations as Storm Mujigae is likely to bring stormy weather to the upper part of the country.

Director-General Chatchai Promlert disclosed that Tropical Storm Mujigae would grip the upper North, Northeast and East between 4 and 6 October. Provincial relief offices are closely monitoring disaster-prone areas in 32 provinces and get ready for relief operations, as the storm might trigger flashfloods and mudslide.

Mr. Chatchai warned that residents in seafront and mountainous areas, as well as flood plains should look out for irregularities in their neighborhoods, pay heed to relief officials’ suggestions and ready themselves for possible evacuations. Small fishing boats should remain onshore during this period. Those needing help can call 1784 around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-03 footer_n.gif

This is a pretty cool storm tracking website http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-255.35,9.35,1045

You can check Hurricane Joaquin in the Caribbean or Pacific typhoons in pretty much real time.

I think it is run by a Japanese company.

Edited by jaywalker

Director-General Chatchai Promlert is just doing his job.

Thailand should be leaping with joy at the prospect of another storm to shed rain on an otherwise drought ridden country. The more rain the better, however, due to the fact that collection and storage of runoff in many areas is incomplete and in most cases simply ignored, there will be the inevitable flooding and other related natural disasters like landslides due to deforestation of hillsides, after all, heavy rainstorms are a new feature of the weather here.whistling.gif

It is better that the heaviest rain falls in the north and northeast as the northern dams are dangerously low.

I hope our villages are preparing a committee and party to welcome Ms Mujigae's arrival. Long may she rain.

Thailand should be leaping with joy at the prospect of another storm to shed rain on an otherwise drought ridden country. The more rain the better, however, due to the fact that collection and storage of runoff in many areas is incomplete and in most cases simply ignored, there will be the inevitable flooding and other related natural disasters like landslides due to deforestation of hillsides, after all, heavy rainstorms are a new feature of the weather here.whistling.gif

It is better that the heaviest rain falls in the north and northeast as the northern dams are dangerously low.

I hope our villages are preparing a committee and party to welcome Ms Mujigae's arrival. Long may she rain.

thumbsup.gif

But, but, but.....It might affect tourism and flights out of China.

Luckily, aside from the farcical cloud-seeding operations, storms are one thing thing the junta has no control over, aside from jet-ski scams, pollution, corrupt cops, and the Pattaya ladyboys and....

thumbsup.gif

But, but, but.....It might affect tourism and flights out of China.

Luckily, aside from the farcical cloud-seeding operations, storms are one thing thing the junta has no control over, aside from jet-ski scams, pollution, corrupt cops, and the Pattaya ladyboys and....

Even if it doesn't affect flights or tourism you can be sure TAT will use it as an excuse for their failures increasing tourists.. I mean! Why wouldn't they use poor weather as an excuse? They have used everything else.

Also I would expect to see another article soon before the storm hits about the gov hopes and prayers that this storm will help in stopping their next drought.. And then another one after telling how sad they are that it did not give enough water fall

On a recent drive up to Loei I was shocked to go down a road which was like silk, nice and smooth through some mountains and to see all the trees on the mountains had been clear felled to plant some crop, I looked in disbelief thinking...............as soon as it rains boy are they gonna pay for it round here, kilometer after kilometer gone, stupidity

Damn. I'm flying in to Ho Chi Minh City Tuesday morning. Could be right in the thick of it.

Right in the thick of it - Ho Chi Minh is at least 10000 kms south of it and your flight path is nowhere near it and it is not predicted to hit till at least Monday. So if you really want to get excited about things change your flight to Hanoi and you might get wet!

Expect rain until Thursday!

I recommend using:

The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts 'Ensemble Prediction System' http://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/charts/medium/ensemble-mean-and-spread-four-standard-parameters?area=Asia&step=24&relative_archive_date=2015100300&parameter=MSLP

Also:

The Department of Drainage and Sewerage (in Thai) http://dds.bangkok.go.th/content/prnews/detail.php?id=326&type=1

Damn. I'm flying in to Ho Chi Minh City Tuesday morning. Could be right in the thick of it.

Right in the thick of it - Ho Chi Minh is at least 10000 kms south of it and your flight path is nowhere near it and it is not predicted to hit till at least Monday. So if you really want to get excited about things change your flight to Hanoi and you might get wet!

"Ho Chi Minh is at least 10000 kms south of it"

In your excitement to correct him, I think you just placed Ho Chi Minh City somewhere on the coast of Antarctica.rolleyes.gif

Guys

There have been some interesting links posted above. The output from the models looks pretty impressive.

One word of caution though! You should ALWAYS refer to an official government weather service as the primary source of your information.

For Thailand, that service is provided by the Thai Meteorological Department (http://www.tmd.go.th/en/).

TMD are tracking Tropical Storm Mujigae, and their track map includes a the storms location every six hours plus projected positions at 24 and 48 hours ahead (http://www.metalarm.tmd.go.th/monitor/typhoon).

Just be aware that times are shown in UTC (which is 6 hours behind Bangkok time)

TMD are projecting that Mujigae will cross the southern China coastline sometime around 06:00 UTC on 04 October, and will continue to move inland on a north-westerly track in southern China.

upper part of the country? Which 32 places would the storm hit??

Please look AT THIS WEBSITE.

It will show you where the storm is in pretty much real time.

..........And Ratcatcher's map is pretty cool too.

That's a bookmark that gets put right next to my Space and Earth Weather link from Suspicious0bservers YouTube site.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers/videos

Looking at the awesome links from Beng and an earlier great link, the depression is on a course for South Vietnam. My flight path is ex-SIN.