Flash floods on French Riviera kill at least 13

Lite Beer

Flash floods on French Riviera kill at least 13

CANNES, France (AP) — Sudden heavy rains in and around the French Riviera have killed at least 13 people, including some trapped in cars and in a retirement home.

French President Francois Hollande said in a statement that people were found dead in the towns of Cannes, Biot, Golfe-Juan and Mandelieu-la-Napoule in the southeast, not far from Italy. He said the rains Saturday night also caused serious damage.

Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said the death toll had reached 13 on Sunday morning, including some victims who had been trapped in a parking lot and some in a retirement home. The exact circumstances of the deaths were unclear.

More than 17 centimeters (6.7 inches) of rain fell on the Cannes region in two hours, local radio France Bleu-Azur reported.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-04

At least 13 die in severe floods in southern France

At least 13 people have died after violent storms led to severe flooding on the French Riviera.

Torrents of water and mud have flooded the streets of Cannes and Nice.

Cars have been submerged and swept away. Camp sites have also been inundated.

There are fears the death toll could rise as emergency workers gain access to areas currently cut off by the flood water.

The coastal region has had the equivalent of a month’s rain in the last two days.

180 mm fell on Cannes between 7 and 10 pm on Saturday night alone.

Hundreds of people spent the night on trains stranded in stations and in the terminal at Nice airport. The A8 motorway was also closed in places.

35000 homes are without electricity.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-04

Flash floods in France leave a trail of death and destruction

606x341_314628.jpg

CANNES: -- France has been left in shock after the deaths of at least 16 people in flash floods on the Riviera coast.

There is a warning the death toll may rise, as a number of people are also missing.

Roads became rivers when 180 mm of rain fell in three hours on Saturday night. The region has had the equivalent of a month’s rainfall in just two days.

“There are five people missing,” one woman told reporters,“they went down the road to get their cars and they never came back.”

The extent of the devastation only became clear at first light. Some were trapped when the floodwaters laid waste to campsites in the area.

Hundreds of people spent the night on trains stranded in stations. The main east-west line has been closed.

Others were forced to shelter in the terminal at Nice Airport.

Police reinforcements have been drafted in to maintain law and order.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-05

French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods

606x341_314640.jpg

CANNES: -- A major stretch of the French Riviera has been declared a natural disaster zone after torential rain caused catastrophic flooding. Towns such as Cannes Antibes and Nice have all be affected.

At least 17 people have been confirmed dead and four others are still missing.

Residents were taken by surprise by the exceptionally violent downpour.

“In ten minutes water rose up to here (showing his legs), in ten minutes, and with the doors closed. It swirled around, it was a terrifying,” said one man.

Those staying in mobile homes had been particularly at risk when the River Brague s broke its banks near Antibes and the force of water swept everything away in its path.

One British tourist told of his narrow escape: “I thought that I was going to die. Because when this was going I thought should I let myself go and travel with the water .. down there. . There was a girl behind me.. she wanted to get her car…she disappeared.”

Many of the victims had been caught in their cars as the flood waters rose.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-05

I'm here at the moment. Antibes. Two people working with us lost cars. One girl had 5 people die in her neighbourhood. My favourite patisserie was wiped out. Glad I'm living on a boat!can be had 180mm of rain between 7 and 10pm. I didn't notice as I was in a pub watching the Aussies give England a hiding in the rugby at the time.