No time to waste in rebuilding Thai-US ties

webfact

No time to waste in rebuilding Thai-US ties
Kavi Chongkittavorn
The Nation
Washington

WASHINGTON: -- THE Thai ambassador to Washington, Pisan Manawapat, said he will not waste a minute rebuilding Thailand's badly bruised relationship with the United States, especially since his counterpart, Glyn Davies, is on the ground back home.

On Friday, ten days after his arrival in Bangkok, Davies' credentials were quickly accepted so he could start performing his diplomatic duties right away. The Thai envoy was accorded the same privilege in the exact same timeframe last April. It was a perfect start.

From now on, it is extremely important for common sense to prevail when Thai and American diplomats reengage; unfortunately, common sense has been a rare commodity in the recent annals of Thai-US friendship. Since 2006, especially during the period between 2011 and 2014, the 183-year-old relationship was heavily poisoned by personal bias and misperceptions from diplomats on both sides.

Obviously, the divisive nature of Thai politics did not help. Without the kind of mutual sensitivity that has made Thai-US ties so intimate and unique for nearly two centuries, the two countries have already suffered together and missed an opportunity to push their friendship to a new level.

To improve the current impasse, they need to communicate with each other through formal and informal personal and institutional contacts more frequently and frankly - not via social media as the American diplomats prefer - in order to understand the unique situation both countries are currently encountering.

American diplomats in Bangkok have often lamented the fact that despite open communication with their Thai hosts, they still had no idea what was going on. It was obvious that the American embassy simply did not have the right people in place to assess the Thai situation. No wonder Thailand's oldest ally is still groping in the dark as the only country out of 193 UN members that does not have "normal" or "near normal" relations with Thailand.

In the coming days, the new American ambassador must tackle two critical issues related to Thailand's domestic and foreign relations. First is the much-needed political reform to ensure that a truly democratic and responsive government emerges from the next election, scheduled for July 2017. This is something that the US has been encouraging.

Secondly, given this transitional period and the myriad of uncertainty on the Thai side together with the legal restrictions on the US side, how can the two countries work together in ways that would no longer mummify their ties and restore the strategic balance that has eroded rapidly over the past 16 months?

Davies must be given the opportunity to scrutinise what has transpired in Thailand since bilateral ties soured and form his own opinion of the country where he will serve for the next three years. As a career diplomat with wide-ranging experience, he will be able to access independently the current situation and decide for himself whether or not Thailand is moving on the right track. He should not shy away from calling a spade a spade - but he must do it with respect and diplomatic finesse.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha knows full well if he fails in his promises and the road map is cast aside, he will be condemned and purged by the Thais by all possible means. He is a popular figure, but that will not be enough to save his skin if the political reforms fail and the drafting of a new charter as well as political reconciliation efforts fall short of public expectation.

He can't backtrack from the democratisation path. Most Thais have experienced intense constitutional debate throughout their adult lives, especially those born after the 1990s.They are now the most democratically alert people in the region, if not the world.

Beyond the domestic domain, Davies also needs to quickly assess the new strategic environment that has emerged during the strained Thai-US relations. The conventional wisdom that the two countries could always resume their friendship instantly is no longer true thanks to the regional dynamics brought about by China's increased economic and political clout. The two countries must rebuild new relations that are more realistic and forward looking than before.

Gone are the days when the US government had the most hands-on experience in dealing with numerous coups and their aftermath over half a century ago. But this time around, Washington has completely missed all the cues and consistently failed to repair the relationship. Indeed, as a result, the whole Thai-US political dynamics have gone into reverse.

In comparison, the Obama administration has done well with former enemies in the region - such as Vietnam and Myanmar - through the dual-track approach, which offered expeditious treatment to advance bilateral relations. It must be noted here that both Asean members meticulously crafted their national priorities befitting the US core regional interests.

Vietnam's decision to join the Trans Pacific Partnership has been cited as a good case study that Washington is willing to work with a country that responds to its agenda. Myanmar's rapid normalised ties with the US came about due to the former's compliance to the US’ long-standing demand to sever missile-technology cooperation with North Korea - Washington's biggest concern. Other political concessions and reforms came later. For Thailand, it has only itself to blame for the lack of strategic thinking.

Despite Thailand's dysfunctional democracy and nincompoop lawmakers, the country's regional environment has never been better. Thailand's ties with neighbouring countries, particularly Cambodia and Myanmar, have improved greatly.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen is scheduled to visit Bangkok in mid-December to take part in a joint Cabinet meeting. Thailand and Myanmar can now resume normal and trusting relations for the first time since 1962, when relations went sour after General Ne Win took power. The ongoing peace process and the expected signing of a nationwide ceasefire in coming in weeks. Thailand has also played an active role behind the scenes, effectively boosting Thai-Myanmar ties to a new level. In addition, better labour standards and proper treatment of migrant workers from Cambodia and Myanmar under Prayut's tutelage won him much kudos from their leaders.

In the early days of the 1990s, Thailand's neighbours feared the Domino-effect emanating that a blooming Thai-style democracy would have on their political systems. Now, they are all feeling at ease with the pace and development inside Thailand. They are pledging to work together more closely as the deadline for an Asean Community is only 86-days away. Now, with Indonesia under President Widodo Joko looking more inward, Thailand's leadership role is being sought again.

Indeed, it is in this context that the Thai-US relations must rebuild anew.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/No-time-to-waste-in-rebuilding-Thai-US-ties-30270184.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-05

American diplomats in Bangkok have often lamented the fact that despite open communication with their Thai hosts, they still had no idea what was going on. It was obvious that the American embassy simply did not have the right people in place to assess the Thai situation. No wonder Thailand's oldest ally is still groping in the dark as the only country out of 193 UN members that does not have "normal" or "near normal" relations with Thailand.

Damn Farangs don't understand Thainess.

The US has laws in place that must be adhered to with regards to coups. Actually, not a bad thing, IMHO.

P.S. Even the EU has changed it's diplomatic stance with Thailand.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/18/us-thailand-eu-idUSKBN0ET1IL20140618

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/opinion/What-has-Europe-ever-done-for-us-30245394.html

This was an interesting read:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/EN/foraff/143330.pdf

Against this background, the EU is forced to reconsider its engagement. Official visits to and from Thailand have been suspended; the EU and its Member States will not sign the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Thailand, until a democratically elected government is in place. Other agreements will, as appropriate,be affected. EU Member States have already begun to review their military cooperation with Thailand.

"Most Thais have experienced intense constitutional debate throughout their adult lives, especially those born after the 1990s.They are now the most democratically alert people in the region, if not the world."

are you kidding me? Occasionally Thais are up for a good time sit in style protest with lots of whistles and food. But, saying that a majority of Thais have experienced intense debate over the Constitution of Thailand is ludicrous. My GF was born after 1990 and she often refers to the PM as the guy who's show ruins her soap operas. "why always have to talk talk talk when I want to watch my shows" LMAO!!!

Then on to the most democratically alert people in the world comment. I have seen plenty of protesting here in the last years to get someone out of office but when has there been a protest to speed up democracy or move up an election or democratic process?

I need to agree with comment above, I met one USA diplomat in CMX, and he seems as lost in translation, no idea where he came and what is going in Thailand, although I met so many USA expats and citizens who live in Thailand and know situation better then I think Thais! I dont know why diplomatic bodies of such a huge country dont listen their people? Isnt it duty of them? So many of their citizens live here and what they done to improve their conditions???

Flirt with Junta?

'Most Thais have experienced intense constitutional debate throughout their adult lives, especially those born after the 1990s.They are now the most democratically alert people in the region, if not the world'

This guy is certifiable and I don't think there are enough drugs in the world to help somebody this deluded....

Edited by mark131v

I need to agree with comment above, I met one USA diplomat in CMX, and he seems as lost in translation, no idea where he came and what is going in Thailand, although I met so many USA expats and citizens who live in Thailand and know situation better then I think Thais!

Really ... if you read the WikiLeaks article from the US foreign Office it appears they are very VERY aware of what is going on. As for the expat brigade ... whether US, UK, OZ, Euro I would be generous in saying 1 in 5 have a clue. By the way you can look up and download that article ... or you used to be able to .. thumbsup.gif

As per this article ABOVE, US Thai relations have been deteriorating for the last 18 odd years (1997) so the Thai diplomats have their work cut out for them.

I need to agree with comment above, I met one USA diplomat in CMX, and he seems as lost in translation, no idea where he came and what is going in Thailand, although I met so many USA expats and citizens who live in Thailand and know situation better then I think Thais! I dont know why diplomatic bodies of such a huge country dont listen their people? Isnt it duty of them? So many of their citizens live here and what they done to improve their conditions???

Flirt with Junta?

Most senior level diplomats are highly educated, well trained and seasoned. Sure, there might be a few that aren't the best. But you don't make it to these high level positions by being stupid. Never.

With that being said, they are experts in the cocktail party scene. Which, for better or worse, is a large part of their job. And guaranteed, they know better than any of us exactly what's going on. Take a peek at wiki leaks and you'll see.

30% of Americans support a military coup in their own country, which shows they are well on their way to accepting the junta's legitimacy to govern Thailand. I can see their point - Hillary? The Donald?

It was obvious that the American embassy simply did not have the right people in place to assess the Thai situation.

I guess Ms. Kenney should have actually done her job, rather than continuously posting selfies on twitter.

"No wonder Thailand's oldest ally is still groping in the dark as the only country out of 193 UN members that does not have "normal" or "near normal" relations with Thailand."

"groping in the dark" I had to laugh.

Ask an American on the street in the US where is Thailand on the map and what is it famous for and why is it important to the US...... You will probably get the same blank clueless stare as if you asked about 180 other countries on the UN list.

Edited by bangon04

30% of Americans support a military coup in their own country, which shows they are well on their way to accepting the junta's legitimacy to govern Thailand. I can see their point - Hillary? The Donald?

It was obvious that the American embassy simply did not have the right people in place to assess the Thai situation.

I guess Ms. Kenney should have actually done her job, rather than continuously posting selfies on twitter.

Now where did that statistic poll come from. Was that another Dusit survey?wink.png

The above quote wins the silly season award in this long dreary article. This reporter seems to have had all his junta shots and is just raring to go. 193 countries have normal or "near" normal relations with Thailand WOW this quote took the cake. Getting to sound more like China and NK all the timeclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

The last thing Thailand needs is more westernise corruption by the broken country America!

The corporations that control the west do not give a shit about their people hence family valves have been destroyed and narcissistic behaviour encourage. We don't need this corruption as well as Dysfunction Feminism in Thailand!

You probably don't want to tell that to the disabled Thai children who the US Navy sailors helped here in Thailand last week.

I have to disagree with Kavi Chongkittavorn (assistant group editor of The Nation) that Washington has completely missed all the cues and consistently failed to repair the relationship.

While Kavi is correct in saying that common sense has been a rare recently, it is hard for me to see how the US could have acted any differently towards Thailand, given the circumstances.

According to Kavi, American diplomats in Bangkok have lamented that despite open communication with their Thai hosts, they still had no idea what was going on.

But, I would argue that Kavi is sadly mistaken, the reason for this is not, as he says, that the American embassy simply did not have the right people in place. I believe it is because the junta missed the cues, as they were unable to comprehend that the US had no choice than oppose anything threatening human rights and curtailing democratic freedoms in Thailand.

The simple fact is, you dont replace a democratically-elected government (that was friendly with the US) by means of military coup and expect the relationship between the two countries to be unchanged. In fact, as Kavi reports, the whole Thai-US political dynamics have gone into reverse.

It is unlikely that anything will improve while the junta continues to ignore basic human rights obligations and restricts freedom of expression. The juntas response appears to have been to claim that it is the victim of US meddling in Thai domestic issues. It also seems to have aligned itself closer to China, a move which may contribute to further friction with the US over regional issues, especially if, as suggested by Kavi, the US is advancing bilateral relations with other ASEAN countries.

While I am not an American, nevertheless I believe that the Thai-US relationship should be rebuilt because of the benefits to Thailand. But, I dont think that it is the US that needs to do the bulk of the repairs! As Kavi says, For Thailand, it has only itself to blame for the lack of strategic thinking.

Ardently following a roadmap without checking where you are from time to time will certainly get you somewhere, but it may not be where you originally wanted to go.

Here lies the problem, one method of governing expects public figures to do .... welll.... public things, good or bad.. Whereas the other government likes to go behind the public back and give cash hand outs and poison the people. Thais with their limited mental disipline will opt for the one that hands out cash. (i know, im thai). Just look at the joke they call the thai police. Rewarding themselves. haha. any respect they had is gone. their respect come in the form of a weapon, in their case their gun.

US ties will never get better since thailand politicians chose.... CHOSE to buddy up with North KOREA and china.

plus a few other doosies that only a thai could accomplish. Selling refugees to slave ships come to mind. oh, and incorrectly conducting the bomb blast. Do you really think it was cause "thais" stopped the human trafficking? or revenge for family lost at sea? Remember never trust the RTP. Thailand lost an opportunity to learn from HIGHLY SKILLED professionals from S. Korea after the bomb blast. WIthin minutes the S.Koreans called to offer their special teams unit. .. which thailand denied their request. ... but begged... or maybe groveled... for britian to help a few days later.

Again, the Ties that tie Thais to Thailand all rests on a topic we cant talk about.

gradually fear is taking over. FUn, fun. A breeding ground for killers and vigilantism.

the police are out of control and in the pocket of thaksin. (dur, proof todays news).

Once thailand loses chinas "railway" to burma. i wonder who will rebuild thailand?(prediction) I wold bet the US would rather invest in a nation of hard working gun loving Burmese over a nation of scam artist and government schemes thiailand.

The last thing Thailand needs is more westernise corruption by the broken country America!

The corporations that control the west do not give a shit about their people hence family valves have been destroyed and narcissistic behaviour encourage. We don't need this corruption as well as Dysfunction Feminism in Thailand!

You probably don't want to tell that to the disabled Thai children who the US Navy sailors helped here in Thailand last week.

fitnesspm. the thai mentality of obeying your "p" is whats messing up your/our country. (presuming your thai) the mentality of a thai social elite is only in thailand. Its a joke to most parts of the world. there are NO thai Hollywood esque celebrities but one. and hes a bad ass. And you join the ranks of badassery once you stand up against the Mob. but you wouldnt really know that cause you prob go to the gym and exist only in your bubble. You..have no clue. you have been served.

In western nations you DONT sell your little girl to brothels,

In western nations, you pay for your crimes, even if you daddys Stanley Ho.

In western nations, you dont get moved to an inactive post for breaking the law.. you go to jail.

In western nation, if it looks like a woman, its a woman.

I could go on about the UNCORRUPT and UNBROKEN America. (most of western life i would think)

... but it sound like your a thai pointing fingers. so cliche.

Fail to see the relevance or urgency in rebuilding ties until the junta is gone. In not having the right people in Thailand, one can only hope that they have the right people in places where they are needed. Thailand's importance is rather low at best.

The US tact is to threaten sanctions in order to achieve compliance... In this case, like so many others, it will go over like a fart in church and will only serve to further damage US / Thai relations... From a Thai perspective, what does the US do for Thailand? Watch for Thailand to turn further toward China as the ASEAN alliance goes live...

I need to agree with comment above, I met one USA diplomat in CMX, and he seems as lost in translation, no idea where he came and what is going in Thailand, although I met so many USA expats and citizens who live in Thailand and know situation better then I think Thais!

Really ... if you read the WikiLeaks article from the US foreign Office it appears they are very VERY aware of what is going on. As for the expat brigade ... whether US, UK, OZ, Euro I would be generous in saying 1 in 5 have a clue. By the way you can look up and download that article ... or you used to be able to .. thumbsup.gif

As per this article ABOVE, US Thai relations have been deteriorating for the last 18 odd years (1997) so the Thai diplomats have their work cut out for them.

Actually, this one was young, and yes it was a cocktail party! How did you know?

I dont think they do anything for expats in Thailand, except issuing passports

The US has laws in place that must be adhered to with regards to coups. Actually, not a bad thing, IMHO.

P.S. Even the EU has changed it's diplomatic stance with Thailand.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/18/us-thailand-eu-idUSKBN0ET1IL20140618

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/opinion/What-has-Europe-ever-done-for-us-30245394.html

It's not that I think you are wrong but politicians break the law as the please. They only cite the law as a convenient excuse.

"No time to waste in rebuilding Thai-US ties..."

Have elections and a legitimate government. Pretty simple.

But there are so few generals with ability to lead America, a young countyr with so much to learn

The generals do not lead the country, the people do. And throughout its history, it proves that the people know best.

The US tact is to threaten sanctions in order to achieve compliance... In this case, like so many others, it will go over like a fart in church and will only serve to further damage US / Thai relations... From a Thai perspective, what does the US do for Thailand? Watch for Thailand to turn further toward China as the ASEAN alliance goes live...

Quit being so anti American. The threatened sanctions currently being reviewed are pretty good. Hard to argue with stopping slave labor and abuses against refugees. Right?

What does the US do for Thailand?

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/tha/

The US is the #3 source for exports and #4 for imports. Pretty good economic relation that needs to be kept intact. For both sides.

But yes, China is also very important.

The author overlooks some key points the first of which is :

The US doesn't need Thailand

It is Thailand who upset the relationship

3 other nations, with better facilities/manners/English are

vying for US increased participation

The fact that the US hasn't been downright rude does not mean

everything is hunky dory - photos/handshakes are customary even

when declaring war

Thailand, unlike some others, has absolutely no negotiating leverage

but act as though they do

Thailand does not treat US ex Pats as Thai Ex Pats in the US